LMS 57' Observation Saloon

Tangoman69

Hi,

I am eventually starting a Britannia Pacific 57' LMS Observation Saloon after it has been lurking in my garage for the past 10 years or so.

The period i wish to model is the latest variant as West Coast Railways 999506.

The question i would like to pose is, what is the correct type of bogie for this coach as shown in the attachment? 

Any help given, hugely appreciated.

Regards,

Karl

B4 bogies, going by that photo.

Both Bachmann or Replica do plastic bogies with metal wheels as spares. Southern Pride make kits containing etched brass frames and white metal side frame castings but I don't know if they are supplied as spares or only in their kits..

Hi Tangoman69,

just for the record, the coach that you have shown in post 2 is one of three (the other two were numbered DB999508 & 9) that were built by BR at Swindon to a new design in 1962/3 to Diagram 1/552 and DB999508 is still in use today - in a much modified form as the Track Inspection Coach.

The LMS designs - Diag D2046 were built in the 1940s and were 50' long - as here, Sidelines O Gauge kits

post-6951-0-80410500-1364314179.jpg

post-6951-0-11478000-1364314181.jpg

Easybuild are about to bring a kit for the BR Swindon built coaches out in O Gauge.

cheers

Mike

Guest stuartp

Just to expand on Ressalder's comment, the BP kit is for the BR version, i.e. the one shown in your pic.

Comet do the LMS 50' version if you fancy one of each, there were one or two still in use until recently.

Ian,

It was the Bachmann announcement that jogged my memory about the BP kit 'stored' in my garage.

I'd like to get it finished after all this time and then I can compare against the Bachmann offering.

Cheers

Karl

I have had a Comet OO gauge kit for this sitting on the shelf for a while, but when I saw the Farish N gauge one available last year I thought it would only be a matter of time before the same info and scans would be applied to an OO gauge release.

I may still make the brass kit in BR maroon, and buy the blue/grey one, as the painting would be a lot harder.

After having done a conversion kit for a Class 128 DMU, and Heljan releasing one a year later, I have a feeling that when I make kits of stock or locos it will only be a few months before a RTR is announced. That said there is the enjoyment of making something yourself.

It is bound to happen when I start on an HST prototype for which I have cab mouldings, one will appear as a pre-order somewhere.

Here is a link to the Hattons pre-order from a seach:

http://www.ehattons.com/stocklist/results.aspx?searchfield=LMS%20Saloon

Bachmann's announcement:

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=103&vis=2

Archived