Silent Hill

Marcyg

• 3 weeks later...

The layout's still going, but havn't done anything to it in a while. Been too busy playing trains :sungum:  On holiday next week, so I made a promise to myself that when I get back I would stop buying new stuff, and buy things I need to get more on the layout done. The stock and locos also need some things, eg. wheels, detailing, new pick ups etc, so that's the plan anyway. I have made a few small alterations. I hated the curves on the 'north' end, they had a straight bit where they follow the loco depot layout

DSC07708_zps3fcec718.jpg

This really grated, so I relayed the whole end and made a much smoother curve

DSC07788_zpsb98ba720.jpg

I also really need to learn to take decent photos. Either way, I'm much happier with how it looks, it's only moved the tracks a couple of mil, but it makes a huge difference to how it looks with a train running over it and not jolting side to side

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Finally made a start on the scenic side of things. Scenery isn't my thing, so it'll be quite basic, certainly no where near as good as some of the master pieces on here.

First up is a small town scene, well, more just a road really. I was given some Metcalf buildings for Christmas. Normally, I wouldn't use card stuff, but they actually came out quite well, so they'll stay for the time being

DSC07992_zps84621662.jpg

DSC07991_zps8a87faf8.jpg

DSC07989_zpsb27788f9.jpg

DSC07988_zps53a8bee8.jpg

DSC07990_zps2dca82c4.jpg

Still plenty to do as you can see, but thought some pics would prove it hasn't all been playing trains!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty lousey at this update thing, anyways, a little more

Finally got the depot roof finished, had to buy a whole new one, but it's another thing done. Can fit the lights to it now

DSC08001_zpsc8ecaad9.jpg

Also fitted dummy point motors. On reflection, should have ballasted first as they're kinda 'floating' in mid air. Still need to get the orange conduit down along with some trunking

DSC08002_zpsec569c76.jpg

Also got a bit more done on the 'town' side. For such a small area, it seems to take forever to get done. I STILL can't seem to get good pics of this area

DSC08003_zps89c7e967.jpg

DSC08004_zpse8fe7149.jpg

DSC08005_zpsea2dedc3.jpg

DSC08006_zps9579aa42.jpg

Still need to tidy up the retaining wall and the bridge spans. The pavements are here now, so once they're down, it can all be finally placed and stuck down. Thinking of fitting lights in the buildings too

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

The layout is still going, just don't have much time on it really. Been fitting lights to a few things.

DSC09047_zps4888eadf.jpg

DSC09044_zps8988c05b.jpg

DSC09045_zps6c8ec4bd.jpg

DSC09048_zpsc754aaf9.jpg

Sorry about the rubbish pics, not got a very steady hand at the min. Eventually I'd like some buffer stop lights and some tower lights for the depot. The station will be lit too if I ever get that far

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Silent Hill has been up for a year now, and there was some things really bugging me. Mainly it was the geometry of the station entrance

DSC09051_zps1cer0shu.jpg

To get the layout I wanted in, I took a normal straight right hand point, cut the webbing and twisted it slightly, as seen on the down main, going into platform 1. It was ok at first, but with heat and time, the ting took on a really pronounced kink, which made the trains jolt through it, leading to some interesting derailments. Also, they were all dead frog points. Something had to be done as I hated it, so the whole section came up and was relaid properly

DSC09071_zpsxfl7t12a.jpg

DSC09051_zpszpff8mnf.jpg

It flows much better now and I can trust my WCML rakes to go through it full tilt in push pull mode (although in reality, this is the north end so the loco would be leading). Electrofrog points mean much smoother running for the station pilot too

The other end of the layout bugged me too, the cross over between the up main and the freight line. The point on the freight line was a curved point, which is a 3ft radius. Not bad, but the curves really open out on this part of the layout, so the point created a 'tightness' in the geometry. Again, they were dead frog points.

DSC09052_zpsii0ia1jm.jpg

So, 2 electrofrogs purchased and some repositioning, and it flows much, much smoother

DSC09070_zpsz98u9o6r.jpg

This is probably as far as I will go with this layout. We may be moving in a years time, and everything is reusable at the min. It does give me a chance to try things out and get stuff running, so I can't complain!

Edited by Marcyg
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Well, it took a bit more than a year, but we are finally moving, so Silent Hill is no more. Had great fun with the layout, and learnt quite a lot, so it served its purpose well. Silent Hill will be back, bigger and better, but I have no idea when, so for now that's it. Thanks for all your comments about the layout. BYE!

• 5 months later...

It is a large area. 45x12. It's a dream come true, and I feel very lucky. Nothing will be happening too quickly, I need to remove the wall which is poking into the space, fill the hole, as its a stairwell - fire regs and all that, then it'll need redecorating. The plan on the floor is a general 'will it work' as I've never had the space to set it up all in one. Some bits will need tweeking, I think the depot needs to be closer to the junction, and the junction itself will be a Y point rather than a normal one. The station throat will be made from Shinohara points as I feel the longer No8 point will give a better streamline feel to it. The 2 concrete sleeper tracks running through the station are the fast through lines, and will be signalled for 110mph, so the number 8s will work quite nicely. And it will be DC control, not DCC, so plenty of buttons and switches :sungum:

• 4 weeks later...

Starting to progress with board building now.

IMG_1166_zpsbs1c3me4.jpg

IMG_1163_zps5ptdricw.jpg

About a third of them done. All made quite hefty from 4"x1" frames with 12mm chipboard. Maybe a bit over kill, but im hoping this will be around for the rest of my days, im 35 now so quite a while I hope! The large frames on the left are the fiddle yard boards. They're 8'x4' so pretty large. I can reach the back as im 6'5", so no problems there. They're going to swallow an awful lot of track, but it was my ambition that if I ever had the chance to build my dream layout, I'd want a fiddle yard big enough to home everything I have rather than keep swapping it over. Even at this size, it will be a push. I'm looking at about 60 full trains, from a Sprinter to a 32 waggon MGR and everything in between! I've no idea how long it will take to get things running, but as before, I'm in no rush, so it takes as long as it takes. This weekend the tops will be delivered, so I may actually get a bit of track down as I'm still waiting for a wall to be plastered before I can build the boards that will sit next to it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been a bit slow with my updates recently, I don't seem to get time at the min. The layout is progressing quite nicely now. All the fiddle yard boards are built, they're massive!

IMG_1173_zpsi5xtqhwl.jpg

The plan for the station was then laid out on the other side so I could see what goes where. Again, it's the first time ever in the flesh, so everything is still a bit 'fluid' with regards to positioning.

IMG_1172_zpsk7fq9y9e.jpg

Then a flurry of track laying. It's quite scary just how quick a layout this size eats track.

IMG_1199_zpse6gvldqv.jpg

IMG_1201_zpsfgavtelb.jpg

From the pictures, it looks like there isn't much room for the platforms. There is, I've used larger spacing on the through lines as the layout will be signalled for 110mph. When planning it, I noticed stations with fast through lines e.g. Peterborough have wider spacing around their fast lines.

Yesterday was a bit of a mission. I have the first track laid through the fiddle yard

IMG_1200_zpsq2cavelm.jpg

This will be part of the down main. The loop now extends about 2/3 of the way round. The plasterer is currently in making good the wall, so by the time I get back from abroad in 2 weeks, it should be dry, so I can paint and crack on with the rest of the boards

Bit more done. The station is pretty much there, to the point where it goes 'off stage'

IMG_1203_zpspl0t2jo6.jpg

The through lines are now laid right through to the fiddle yard site

IMG_1204_zpsz2koidch.jpg

The sidings here are for loco swaps to be carried out. A lot of the trains from this era, especially the push pull ones, are the same, so a quick loco change and the same set of coaches can be 2 or 3 different trains.

Also started laying some of the fiddle yard. Most of the track here is reused from the last layout. I knew that one would never stay, so I laid the track with a view of reusing as much as possible. Something which has paid off as this thing is going to swallow a lot.

IMG_1202_zpszfp37zqa.jpg

That's pretty much it for a while. I've run out of track, baseboards and cork. Better get the credit card out!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I'm rubbish at updates, fact. Still building the layout, slowly. Some times I forget this isn't the 16ft layout I had before and I cant have it up and running super quick. Still, progress is being made. Only 2 small boards to be made now. Unfortunalty, 1 is the end of the layout, so until that's complete I cant run anything in anger.

IMG_1221_zpsbb7pea56.jpg

This is the length of the scenic side, I'm down to the end of the loft, just the fill in board to go now. This photo also highlights that an iPhone camera really isn't up to the job

IMG_1225_zpswgzpmi5u.jpg

This view shows the bend in the running lines where the junction will be. The junction is the reason the layout was designed the way it is. I had designed this bend long before we found the house it was going to live in. Spooky!

IMG_1222_zpst1fvc7py.jpg

Down main fiddle yard. 8 tracks, will be mirrored by one on the Up side. Should give plenty of variety

IMG_1223_zpshuvzjggt.jpg

Also started to sort out the stock that will be run. This in itself is a huge task. I just kept collecting without thought of how to run it all. I think some thinning out will be in order.

Well, that's another update. Maybe one tomorrow as I'll bring a drill home from work (my home drill chuck literally exploded from over use!) so I can do the point motor holes and track laying can continue.

• Like 2

OK, a day late, but another update. Bit more track laying. The scenic side is really starting to take shape now. My wife, who 'humours' me was even resorting to colourful language when she saw it! All good though, she was impressed. Really, I'm just adding on what I had achived in the last post. I'm using up my supply of points from the last layout, which when they're gone, will really hamper progress. I'm hoping to have at least 1 full loop by next weekend, but after that, I think progress will be slow, points are flippin' expensive!!!

IMG_1226_zpsz90tivia.jpg

The shed is double ended, I'm just using the space currently as a work bench!

IMG_1227_zpsgqjsh36z.jpg

IMG_1229_zpsnyotgvrf.jpg

IMG_1228_zpst9nyznka.jpg

That's it. Will get very little done this weekend as my wife and myself have plans to enjoy a rare few moments together without work or house or garden or other people or cars or anything else getting in the way!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...