A WR Engine Shed: Tips for painting please + making Louvres, Ridge Tiles and Guttering

I don't like cereal, and there is not a lot you can do with a plastic bread bag from me toast, so I collect card from where ever I can, Great modelling, and I also use Wilkos match pots. I am all for using what's around, I only spend if I need too.

• 3 weeks later...

I took these pix today so that I could take a really critical look at how the stonework painting was coming along (there seems to be plenty still to do!) and thought I'd post 'em to prove I'm not entirely glued to my armchair!

I should maybe point out that, before I started painting, I scratched the surface of the stones (with my scriber) to give them an ‘essential’ bit of texture.

Anyway, so far I’ve only used 3 ‘straight’ colours. First a pale creamy-brown (Wilko tester pot mix) that focussed on filling all the mortar joints. Much the same colour as the brickwork mortar, which is as per the ‘real thing’, and I didn’t want ‘bright-white’ DAS showing through.

As I’m trying to replicate a grey-blue limestone, I then used an even tinier brush to apply a pale grey (a simple mix of white and black acrylic) onto each of the individual stones. I did try dry brushing a sample but it didn’t seem to work… either not enough coverage, or else I ended up clogging too many mortar joints, which are very shallow and narrow in places.

post-11262-0-36126400-1370191614_thumb.jpg

After that I went at the individual stones with a slightly darker grey, aiming for about a 75% coverage… and that’s the appearance so far.

post-11262-0-29577700-1370191627_thumb.jpg

post-11262-0-14787800-1370191641_thumb.jpg

I’ll be staring at the thing for the next few days before deciding how to move on, although I’m pretty sure I’ll be adding at least one lighter shade (almost white) to a few of the stones and probably a darker grey to a little more than a few.

I’m happy enough with the way the slate roof has turned out, although I’ve noticed there a few ‘blotchy’ areas where the individual slates need to be better defined. All I did was apply a couple thin, ‘blue-grey’ washes (Wilko pots again), and followed that with a light dusting of MIG’s ‘Industrial City Dirt’… which is a greyey-brown. Before the washes, and as Iain advised, I gave the slates a double helping of W&N Artists’ Matt Varnish.

post-11262-0-92503200-1370191653_thumb.jpg

I’ve still got a few modelling things to do, like adding the down pipes and some flaunching around the base of the chimney pot… as well as the flashing along the top edge of the extension roof… which I’ll do when I create a base and knit the extension to the ‘parent’ building. And when that’s done I’ll attempt a bit of weathering… in a way I haven’t decided yet!

Alan,

I wholeheartedly applaud your restraint and subtlety in making this structure. From the first cuts made you've taken your time and treated each stage like it really mattered...there were no stages where you just tried to get through to something more enjoyable. Now you have a model that is really fine, in the sense of it's delicacy and believability. The restraint and patience that you have shown during painting is amazing. I think that weathering will be the point at which you breathe life into the structure, adding the other dimension, time. It takes guts to weather a structure as perfect as this...no pressure, then!  It goes without saying that I will be watching...and learning! Thanks for the tip about the matchpots - I will be off to Wilko's tomorrow, as I have a platform to paint...

cheers,

Iain

You're so kind with your comments, Iain.... but it's guys like you... and Allan... and quite a few others with albums on this site... that I have to thank for all the inspiration. Chris Nevard probably tops the list!... the matchpot tipster by the way!

I'm lucky in that I can take my time over my modelling and don't have to go in search of the quickest way to finish this or that. Mind you, even when I didn't have the time I'd still take an age over everything I did! And nowadays, of course, you really have to aim high to do even an rtr model justice (like the Dapol Western I've just been lucky enough to get hold of). What a masterpiece that is, and I hope it won't mind taking shelter now and again in my humble little steam shed!

I'll post again when I've finished the weathering... but don't hold your breath!!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alan, that really is looking great! During this one build you've given me so many tips that I've managed to incorporate into my efforts.

Cheers

Jason

Cheers Jason, and just to say my next model is going to be a signal box... so I'll certainly be taking my time to read your very instructive topic!! Brilliant stuff!... and it does what I haven't done here, and that's explain the construction from scratch... which is so very helpful.

It might be just me, but it took me an age to work out how I was going to build up the walls of the shed so that they had depth 'inside and out', as well as apply the DAS on two planes and incorporate brick reveals to the windows... with their half-round arches. Don't you just revel in such challenges!

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi there,

I was just looking at some of the threads I hadn't seen for a while, and I was wondering how you are getting on with the shed. Is it in situ yet?

Thanks for asking Jason, but it's been a case of re-decorating the outside of the house (and there's a lot of it to tackle!) while the weather's been OK!!  I did manage to make the down pipes (not attached yet), fix the outbuilding with it's flashing (needs a touch of matt varnish) and increase the proportion of stonework painted in the darker blue-grey (weathering still to follow!) but then 'the house' took priority!

Another bit of modelling I fitted in was to strip the REAL slates off the roof of my lineside hut (see left) and cladding it in slates and ridge tiles to match/blend with the engine shed. 

Come September I should be back at my bench... when I'll also be knocking up a baseboard on which to create my 'shed scene' which will later form part of my 'final, major, main line, garage layout'! … but may need to get another garden shed to relocate the garage contents!  Oh well…

I’ve also been playing around with a couple of Ratio Water Cranes, trying to refine them and make them look a bit more ‘authentic WR’. 

post-11262-0-75430500-1377435831_thumb.jpg

I’ve added those vertical ‘handles’ near the end of the arms, bent some wire to replace the ‘thicker’ plastic arm supports, made up a ‘pivot release handle’ that looks a bit more like the real thing and used wire for the connecting rod. Used wire for the water valve handle, and finally, I think, made up a funnel-looking overflow thingy (didn’t think the round bowl looked the business) with a hook for the chain and a ‘backing plate’ (out of tin foil)… which I’ve straightened since taking the photo!  Oh yes, I also replaced the rubber hose with some plastic tube, which can be 'suitably squashed'.

Cheers for now

This is work of the finest quality, BR, showing extreme patience and I'm very envious.

I did try dry brushing a sample but it didn’t seem to work…

I have no experience of painting scribed DAS but may I respectfully suggest you visit a good artists suppliers and look at some watercolourists [genuine] sponges? They can be used to great effect to apply a random series of very fine 'blotches' of colour after a little practice, and as I know they work for gouache I'm sure they would work with emulsions, you'd only need one about 2" - 3" in diameter.

I just wish someone would release a straight arm platform type.

Robin.  Have you thought about removing the 'central' section of the arm and replacing it with a straight length of plastic tube... and making up a wire support to suit the new length.  Hmmmm... now there's a thought.  Might do just that to add a bit of interest on one of my intended platforms.  Thanks for the idea!!!

Thanks you two for the sponges/gouache idea.  Worth a try I think!! ...  in the case of the Shed, I was feeling I'd reached a stage where I'd 'move on' from paint and use a few MIG powders to create a bit of wear and tear... then maybe just add a few strategic blotches of paint to represet lichens etc.

PS.  You envious of me, Chubber??!!!  The opposite's really the case.  It was your WR engine shed that inspired me to have a go myself!!! Just one of your MANY masterpieces!

Alan, that's very flattering, thank you...

I've never managed to do convincing lichen with a brush, I mix a creamy drop of Cadmium Orange and Naples Yellow [a really good sedimenting colour] and flick it on from a toothbrush using a matchstick. Caveat - This is best practised in old clothes, I deffo do not recommend doing it in a clean white shirt 20 minutes before going with SWMBO to a christening  :0

Doug

Archived