LNER Passenger Trains and Formations

silverlink

Looking forward to it (hopefully the previous one is reissued too at some point).

I wonder whether my pre order is still valid. Probably not.

Jason

Might depend on who your pre-order is with. I believe Crecy do not sell on Amazon but they might have taken over direct orders.

I suggest we all read this 

https://www.steve-banks.org/publications/books/305-a-tale-of-three-projects

It isn't dated, but it would appear the author doesn't know when the book is coming out !!

That has been on his website for months.

I agree with Mike that when Vol 2 comes out is up to the publisher not the author, who may have no more idea than what is stated on the publisher's website.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I was wondering if 'LNER Passenger Train Formations Vol 2. Secondary, Branch Lines and Non-passenger Services' was published yesterday, as had been indicated.

So I looked it up, using the link at post 28 above and, alas, Crecy now say "This product will be in stock on Thursday 28 February, 2019".

I'm sorry about this delay, as I'm looking forward to this book seeing the light of day .... and was rather hoping for a copy as a Christmas present!

John Storey

I was wondering if 'LNER Passenger Train Formations Vol 2. Secondary, Branch Lines and Non-passenger Services' was published yesterday, as had been indicated.

So I looked it up, using the link at post 28 above and, alas, Crecy now say "This product will be in stock on Thursday 28 February, 2019".

I'm sorry about this delay, as I'm looking forward to this book seeing the light of day .... and was rather hoping for a copy as a Christmas present!

John Storey

I asked Crecy at Warley and they said next year, but I forget now whether it was February or later. They said it is in production as they now have all of the material.

• Like 1

Now it seems to have disappeared altogether from the Crecy website.  I'm beginning to wonder if this book will ever be published.

In the end I decided to do what too often on RMWeb we fail to do - as Monty Python used to phrase it:  "the blee%in obvious!".  I contacted Crecy, the publishers.

Their Sales and Marketing Team responded commendably  promptly with the following message:

"Thank you for your email, not too sure what happened to this title but it is now back on, If you use the following link:

http://www.crecy.co.uk/lner-passenger-train-formations-vol-2.

As you can see it has now been pushed back to April as the Author is still working on it."  [my bold]

Due respect to Messrs Banks and Carter for wanting to get it as 'right' as possible, I suppose ... my only fear is that they fall into the trap some authors do, of holding on and holding on because occasional tiny little nuggets of information are still emerging and they want to present the most complete picture possible ... and then something - call it 'Fate' if you like - intervenes.  The publisher goes bust, they fall ill, somebody else unexpectedly brings out a work that is similar enough it destroys the market for another, or whatever ... and in the end the book never does happen.  Let us hope that won't be the case here.  In the immortal words of the Duke of Wellington:  "Publish and be damned!!"

Edited by Willie Whizz

In the end I decided to do what too often on RMWeb we fail to do - as Monty Python used to phrase it:  "the blee%in obvious!".  I contacted Crecy, the publishers.

Their Sales and Marketing Team responded commendably  promptly with the following message:

"Thank you for your email, not too sure what happened to this title but it is now back on, If you use the following link:

http://www.crecy.co.uk/lner-passenger-train-formations-vol-2.

As you can see it has now been pushed back to April as the Author is still working on it."  [my bold]

Due respect to Messrs Banks and Carter for wanting to get it as 'right' as possible, I suppose ... my only fear is that they fall into the trap some authors do, of holding on and holding on because occasional tiny little nuggets of information are still emerging and they want to present the most complete picture possible ... and then something - call it 'Fate' if you like - intervenes.  The publisher goes bust, they fall ill, somebody else unexpectedly brings out a work that is similar enough it destroys the market for another, or whatever ... and in the end the book never does happen.  Let us hope that won't be the case here.  In the immortal words of the Duke of Wellington:  "Publish and be damned!!"

It might never appear at this rate. I agree that you have to stop at some point and just get it published. Either that or keep working on it and never finish it.

It might never appear at this rate. I agree that you have to stop at some point and just get it published. Either that or keep working on it and never finish it.

True but it is a balancing act. Publish too early and there are lots of people prepared to point out all the errors and criticise the author.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Oh dear.  Steve Banks's 'LNER Passenger Train Formations Vol 2. Secondary, Branch Lines and Non-passenger Services' was to have been published at the end of November, then February, then a couple of days ago at the end of April.   

I've just looked at Crecy's website and it now says "This product will be in stock on Thursday 31. October, 2019."  Alas!

I do hope this volume is published, as I have great regard for Mr Banks, from his various articles published in the model press in the past. His website is always interesting, at

https://www.steve-banks.org/

John Storey

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Getting really frustrated with waiting for this now.  Considering when I ordered a copy it had a publishing date of November 2018, then pushed back to February 2019, then April 2019, now October 2019.... should I have any faith in the new publication date?

As has been said on here before:  once a text is wholly or substantially completed, control effectively passes to the publisher, and the author(s) often thereafter have barely more idea of what stage in the process matters have reached than do ordinary members of the public.

I understand that, my frustration is with the publishers.  It can't be good- at all- or professional- if a publisher waits until within a week of intended publication to put the date back not by a mere few weeks but by more like six months.  You do have to wonder just what on Earth they are playing at. 

The "good" news is that a copy of Volume 1 has come up on eBay. I regret not buying the copy that sold about a year ago (a "buy it now" at about £36, as I recall) but I think I'll be passing on this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LNER-Passenger-Trains-and-Formations-1923-67-by-Clive-S-Carter-Steve-Banks/133047311640?epid=138535792&hash=item1efa3cdd18:m:mGgg2mjSPpy49HRwKSiYidA&redirect=mobile

Jim

Edited by Jim Martin
Adding quotation marks for sarcasm
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Jim Martin said:

The "good" news is that a copy of Volume 1 has come up on eBay. I regret not buying the copy that sold about a year ago (a "buy it now" at about £36, as I recall) but I think I'll be passing on this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LNER-Passenger-Trains-and-Formations-1923-67-by-Clive-S-Carter-Steve-Banks/133047311640?epid=138535792&hash=item1efa3cdd18:m:mGgg2mjSPpy49HRwKSiYidA&redirect=mobile

Jim

The seller is apparently a "friend" of the NRM. With friends like that...

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...