Hi All,

As I am going to be making some models of the 81E preserved trio of Nos. 9112, 9113 & 9118 I need a little bit of assistance. I have consulted the experts and no consensus can be reached (coaches liveries are not my area of expertise at all!) so I thought I would throw it open to the RMWEB floor...

The question is this. When were the names lost? Was it from repainting into blood and custard or was it from BR chocolate & cream and if the names stayed in blood and custard were they painted in the same style as they were with the GWR or were they in different font and / or format? My understanding was that they didn't have them post 1957 C&C repaint but I am firmly in the B&C era and I can't find a picture.

I have found lots of pictures in GWR livery both period and the liveries of the coaches in preservation (81E & SDR versions are in GWR) and some great colour shots in BR (W) C&C in Robertson's Great Western Coaches In Colour. There is a picture in this of King George in preservation in B&C but annoyingly, it is post lining and lettering! The story is the same on line as far as I can see...

Any thoughts or pictures I have missed anyone? Thanks in advance!

All the best,

Castle

P.S. Here is a nice picture of them on a recent airing with No. 6106!

post-14393-0-91089300-1364677064_thumb.jpg

Harris's "Great Western coaches", simply states that the names were removed in "early BR days".

There is a photo on page 49 (fig 118) of Russell's GW Coaches Appendix apparently shows No. 9114 (Duke of York) in crimson and cream as outshopped in 1951 with no name.

Hope thats of some use

• RMweb Gold

Are you going to use Comet kits for these or something else.The angled doors are quite tricky,for me anyway when I built the centenaries.I wouldn't mind one myself to go behind the new Star coming out soon.

Hi Rob,

Yes - it's Comet all the way! I have started No. 9118 and I have the kit for one of the other two and the second to order. I figure that I may as well learn from doing No. 9118 and then do Nos. 9112 & 9113 in a sort of batch process. No. 9118 is the most complex as it has the kitchen conversion in it and all of the attendant underpinnings and interior changes. If I can sort this one out, the other two will be a little easier(!).

The ends are a little tricky and caused me a little head scratching. The bit I didn't like was the fact that you seem to be expected to cut the roof and sit it in between the ends. Having eyeballed the survivors at Didcot, the way I tackled it was to reduce the height of the ends and allow the roof to sit over the top of the white metal castings. This seemed the best way to do it as it enabled me to do my usual 'most lazy masking possible' and have the roof as a whole and separate section! Getting the end vestibule units to marry up with the sides is a bit tricky and I soldered it with regular solder for primary structure and then shaped, filled and reinforced it with low melt solder in much the same way as panels on a car might be lead loaded to fill them. I thought that adding more metal was preferable to a skim of filler in structural terms. I then used a smudge of the new games workshop acrylic filler to fine finish the joint. I will post this build when I have finished doing Collett full brake Dia. K41 No. 111. I have just had to strip and begin to repaint the finished body of No. 111 due to an unfortunate incident - grrrrr!

I hope to see your Super Saloon(s) on RMWEB soon - if you can make the Centenaries then you can certanly model one of these most elegant vehicles! I only have the one Centenary on my list - the soul survivor, No. 9635 Collett “Centenary” First Class Kitchen/Diner to Dia. H.43. I guess we could put a Star on them and very nice it would be too. Early Castles are my favourite though...*

All the best,

Castle

*Yes, HIGHLY predictable I know!

Great Western Railway Journal 28 has an in-depth article by John Lewis on the Super Saloons. The author says that the saloons "appear" to have lost their names around 1951 when they were repainted in blood and custard, which sort of ties in with Harris..

Chris

Cheers Chris,

That is a great help. As I said before, the non consensus I experienced elsewhere was between the two BR repaints so this clears it all up. The Comet instructions for No. 9118 implies the loss of names post 1957 so this caused the confusion at 81E and my decision to check it with a wider audience.

All the best,

Castle

The Comet door joins are quite tricky. My supersaloons are being assembled from the BSL kits. Pros - sides are all one piece and the pressed roof sits on top of the eds. Cons - no window frames, you are expected to make them from microstrip. To be fair, as a 1930's modeller the windows were not as the deeper Mark 1 type but as the link below (note 9114 still had these windows in the 1950's)

If you have a few hundred pounds to spare there is now an rtr available

http://goldenagemodels.net/GWR-Coaches-OO-Gauge.html

Mike Wiltshire

Hi Mike,

As beautiful as the Golden Age models are, I don't have the thousand or more pounds required to bank role that kind of modelling! I shudder to think what a Castle, a Collett full brake, a SIPHON G , 3 Super Saloons and a Hawksworth full brake from G.A. would cost even if it were all available... In any case, for me, its the journey and not the destination. I just enjoy the building process too much for that sort of thing anyhow. Approximately £50 odd quid per kit and a few other bits is far more my speed...

Interesting to note the kits you have - pressing the sides is quite a smart idea isn't it? The window frames are also another little tip I hadn't noticed so thanks for that!

All the best,

Castle

Hi Mike,

I shudder to think what a Castle, would cost even if it were all available... I

Move on to the next page

http://goldenagemodels.net/GWR-Locomotives-Castle-Class-OO-Gauge.html

And Stars...and Kings...and a Great Bear. Also two different Collett full Brakes.

I agree Castle. Even if I could afford a full train, it would not be the same as making my own.

Mike Wiltshire

>The Comet instructions for No. 9118 implies the loss of names post 1957 so this caused the confusion

Thanks for pointing that out, and sharing the information. The instructions have been changed as a result.

Geoff Brewin

Comet Models

Cheers for that Geoff,

It is great for us here to be able to feed back into and assist with all the effort you go to to put the kits out there in the first place which is greatly appreciated. All I have to do now is make at least a reasonable job of your excellent kits for a Collett full brake and 3 of the most prestigious vehicles ever built by the GWR!

And THEN I have to do Centenary diner No. 9635 and VIP Saloon No. 9002...*

And I think its at least another 6 or so other coaches from your current range...*

With the guy that designed them watching my every mistake...

No pressure then.

Hi Mike,

You are a naughty man making me look at that advert for a Golden Age Pendennis Castle. Very naughty indeed.

I wondered how much you could buy of the real thing for the price of one of those little ones? Given current prices in OO I have seen in the past and prices on work we have done (machining things ourselves at 81E) it is probably quite near refurbishing a valve stem and getting a set of heads and rings for it believe it or not!

All the best,

Castle

*It's just as well a nice chap does kits for this sort of thing isn't it?

>With the guy that designed them

Not me, guv. It was before my time.  The vast majority of Comet coaches were drawn by hand by the late Steve Woof, who also did some drawings for other enterprises in 4mm, NG, 3mm, 2mm, 7mm .......

Geoff

Comet Models

Archived