Decorated samples of the ''Duke of Gloucester''

Multiple identity account 2

Just received my RR Duke, at £60 or so I am very pleased. Photos are just changed for contrast and background mainly... plenty to do perhaps and looking forward to it.

edit; those moulded deflector handrails look alright from these angles, I didn't notice they weren't wire while just musing over the quality of the model...

post-7929-0-59605900-1389678045.jpg

post-7929-0-69482700-1389677785.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Front bufferbeam/Footplate pointing towards the sky, crooked awful looking buffers , skinny Cylinders plus already listed faults.

2 out of 5.

Don't worry Mick - they'll still sell.  (I'm not sure about the front footplate incidentally - could be the angle of view?  And it does look odd because there aren't any front footsteps in place which must make a difference to the visual impression.  But at least the bogie wheels have got the right number of spokes - even if they don't look right :jester: )

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately it has not taken long for the 'gremlins' to be noticed, from what I can see on the photos posted it does not look like any of the front foot plates are pointing skyward so that is bad luck and should be returned as sub standard, the front steps can easily be remedied and are not really a major problem. However the one note of possible alarm is the running qualities that a couple of posters have noticed on their models. Hopefully they are small issues that can be quickly and easily remedied.

It is very disappointing when one pays out for a new model that comes with problems. Sad to say I rarely buy any Hornby products these days purely on the basis of quality control. Hornby's last three big releases, ( 42/72xx, Star and now DoG) have all attracted negative criticism which is unfortunate as the subject matter is superb, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. I will however buy a sentinel because they appear to have got that right. By contrast my recent Bachmann purchases have all run superbly out of the box with no breakages, missing parts or other problems. Perhaps I have been lucky but IMO Hornby need to be looking at the quality of their models, it's all very well announcing these wonderful subjects but that needs to be backed up by strict QC.

No etched nameplates or smokebox number either!

On a similar theme, I do feel the Hornby 'etched plates' are a let-down as they appear to be just printed with no relief much like the special edition of Tornado. I think I'll be getting an aftermarket set for mine, which should also provide a smokebox number. I also think a set of etched numbers for the cabsides would be a nice touch, but I've not found any available.

The other visual problem I have, which is common across a lot of RTR locos from both Hornby and Bachmann is the lack of depth to the tyres, which on the prototype DoG are usually well polished and are a big part of the visual impact of the chassis.

Cheers

J

Narrow Planet did a set of plates for me when I built my Golden Arrow version - contact them they should still have the artwork :)

Thanks for that, was that for the cabside numbers and the name/smoke box? I'll certainly investigate that, the 247 Develompents are reasonably priced and will certainly be a fallback option, although I imagine that stocks might be reduced somewhat of late!

Cheers

J

...and what DoG looked like at Crewe a couple of months ago when I attended the Rapido presentation...

attachicon.gifDoG-01.jpg

Keith

Thanks, this photo will be handy for placing the footrests when I find some suitable ones (or paint them).

Also , I just checked the front footplate and it is LEVEL not pointing up. The pics were not edited either, except the background, colour, contrast and little else.

Narrow cylinders? How else to negotiate type 2 curves? cylinder fronts can be fabricated from card and glue and paint for a better look for wider curves.

Personally I think it is a stunning model, very straight, and at under £60 if you buy as I did from outside EU, I would not fault it so much as PRAISE it. Pound for pound compared to previous generations of models, and considering production issues and Far East materials, labour and services cost increases.

Constructive criticism? Well, if you care about the front number, and painted name, pay another £30 and buy a main range version. The lack of separate handrails on the deflectors wasn't mentioned in the post a few back, nor the smokebox handle being moulded, for me, the main drawbacks of the main range are the white painted parts, the deflector handrail inner-bosses, but none of these things are major. The front buffers are a bit naff but that's why we have paintbrushes and paint. The cylinders may be a couple of degrees out in angle. No tender pickups? Well hello Bachmann...

Plusses; the engine tender connection is easy, the close coupling perfect. It LOOKS great, better in a way than the prototype was in BR days, and again, the PRICE. The valve gear look right to me too.

Paint is excellent, better than Bachmann manage for lining, at nearly or over double the price.

Apologist for Hornby? In this case I clearly am. Not as good as a Brit or Clan but under half the price.

Cheers

typo edit

Unfortunately it has not taken long for the 'gremlins' to be noticed, from what I can see on the photos posted it does not look like any of the front foot plates are pointing skyward so that is bad luck and should be returned as sub standard, the front steps can easily be remedied and are not really a major problem. However the one note of possible alarm is the running qualities that a couple of posters have noticed on their models. Hopefully they are small issues that can be quickly and easily remedied.

It is very disappointing when one pays out for a new model that comes with problems. Sad to say I rarely buy any Hornby products these days purely on the basis of quality control. Hornby's last three big releases, ( 42/72xx, Star and now DoG) have all attracted negative criticism which is unfortunate as the subject matter is superb, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. I will however buy a sentinel because they appear to have got that right. By contrast my recent Bachmann purchases have all run superbly out of the box with no breakages, missing parts or other problems. Perhaps I have been lucky but IMO Hornby need to be looking at the quality of their models, it's all very well announcing these wonderful subjects but that needs to be backed up by strict QC.

I think that basing your purchases on perceived faults in production is of course your right, but I have heard of many QC issues for Bachmann (there is a thread about it), and I don't think we have any actual numbers of faults, failures and returns on Hornby models. I suspect that this forum gives vent to a number of failures and regrettable though they are, I'm not sure if they are epidemic. I have had ZERO Hornby failures recently, all have been good engines, bought from various sellers via the Web; B17, DoG, 72XX, O1, B1, both Stars GWR and BR, but I would not draw conclusions from that, as several here have said their purchases were faulty (and I don't mean slight detail errors like top lamp bracket ok for 1928 but not 1938 on GWR Star).

There are many difficult challenges facing all RTR 00 manufacturers, and unless I see large verified numbers about errors and failed unfit models sold, I'll continue to buy.

Well, if you care about the front number, and painted name, pay another £30 and buy a main range version.

I have got the main range version, and it is those nameplates that I find to be a let down, the rest of the loco, so far, is fine. Admittedly I've not tried it round corners yet, but it's fine in a straight line thus far. I will be tweaking a few bits of it to make it more my own, but that's what modelling is all about! I don't think I've got a single loco that is exactly as it came out of the box, not because I'm dis-satisfied, but because its part of the hobby that I enjoy (I appreciate that others prefer other aspects of course!)

Cheers

J

Robs image basically shows what we would have got had Bachmann produced it..........A good standard model for around £130.00 instead of at least five variations all of which, no matter what one pays, has got a bloodyminded moulded smokebox dart.  I have been trying to purchase a DOG (not the Railroad model) but it looks as if there is none to be got in the whole UK, unless someone knows otherwise.

• RMweb Gold

Robs image basically shows what we would have got had Bachmann produced it..........A good standard model for around £130.00 instead of at least five variations all of which, no matter what one pays, has got a bloodyminded moulded smokebox dart.  I have been trying to purchase a DOG (not the Railroad model) but it looks as if there is none to be got in the whole UK, unless someone knows otherwise.

If Bachmann had decided to produce DoG, we'd still be waiting for it lol

(That's tongue being firmly in cheek, for those who disagreed with it :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono: )

If Bachmann had decided to produce DoG, we'd still be waiting for it lol

That might be why Hornby dashed out a cheapo...... "The beggars are that desperate we can sell 'em ow't we like wi' moulded darts and no steps." Fact is though, I've phoned around and cannot find a DOG in the UK so we are still waiting in effect. :O

• RMweb Premium

Rob I take your point on post 297, it is well documented that Hornby have had their manufacturing problems, and it does appear the Hornby's problematic locos appear to get a higher profile than Bachmann's, of course we speak as we find. I have not ruled out buying Hornby products, but my trust in the company has been diminished so I set myself strict criteria before I purchase like inspecting before buying. (I appreciate that may not be possible in NZ). Like most modellers I would love Hornby to be top of their game, and perhaps I set myself too higher standards, but square axle boxes without bearings, moulded handrails and smokebox darts and indifferent QC have I believe diminished Hornby's status. I do hope that we have some truly spectacular releases in future but todays releases do not stack up against releases of a year or two ago and therefore will not get my money.

Archived