Decorated samples of the ''Duke of Gloucester''

Multiple identity account 2

• RMweb Gold

That might be why Hornby dashed out a cheapo...... "The beggars are that desperate we can sell 'em ow't we like wi' moulded darts and no steps." Fact is though, I've phoned around and cannot find a DOG in the UK so we are still waiting in effect. :O

Tried ebay yet?

Rob I take your point on post 297, it is well documented that Hornby have had their manufacturing problems, and it does appear the Hornby's problematic locos appear to get a higher profile than Bachmann's, of course we speak as we find. I have not ruled out buying Hornby products, but my trust in the company has been diminished so I set myself strict criteria before I purchase like inspecting before buying. (I appreciate that may not be possible in NZ). Like most modellers I would love Hornby to be top of their game, and perhaps I set myself too higher standards, but square axle boxes without bearings, moulded handrails and smokebox darts and indifferent QC have I believe diminished Hornby's status. I do hope that we have some truly spectacular releases in future but todays releases do not stack up against releases of a year or two ago and therefore will not get my money.

Thanks 7013, I agree that moulded handrails and cheaper axle boxes and such are a perhaps misguided attempt to lower production costs, where again, perhaps, Hornby do not have clear idea about producing very highly-detailed models at prices which they may, in current difficult production conditions, have decided is too much of a risk of capital (read, overdraft) for an unknown market... that of models over £150 retail.

I didn't state that very well, my coffee hasn't yet kicked in...

The standards of the B1 L1 and Clan were I imagine rather high, and would have put mainstream models like the DoG into £170 retail or more, if at the same standard as the Clan.

As it is etched smoke deflectors and smokebox handles and other details might be available soon? 

Anyway, I think the RR version at £65 or so plus some parts bought of even a s/h 'spares' Brit or other Standard could make for a pretty good model.

Hornby lost Sanda Kan and is currently starting new models with new suppliers so I doubt any prudent company would have jumped in with a 'state-of-the-art' Duke model at £180 retail?. If you were the lender/bank would you have capitalised new production at this level? 

I think Hornby have got the basics of the Duke very 'right' and of they can retro-fit separate smokebox handles to a 42XX can they maybe not eventually offer a premium-price version of the Duke?

As ever I am an apologist for Hornby, looking at it partly from the point of view of my simple enjoyment of their recent models, and partly from wanting to see the company do things prudently and well. 

And we don't know how well the square axle boxes will perform over time, either.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Rob, I agree with your sentiments entirely, I have been a lifelong supporter of Hornby and do hope that they return to their former glory soon, however you are correct when you say that a measured/ prudent approach is needed until the new production facilities are up to speed, it will be interesting to see how the models develop in the future. As for the axle boxes, my guess is that they will not wear very quickly and other things may be an issue before any bearing problems appear.

That might be why Hornby dashed out a cheapo...... "The beggars are that desperate we can sell 'em ow't we like wi' moulded darts and no steps." Fact is though, I've phoned around and cannot find a DOG in the UK so we are still waiting in effect. :O

Hi

Modelfair have the Duke train pack in stock if that's any help. I don't know which spec of model is in it though.

Regards

Stephen

Robs image basically shows what we would have got had Bachmann produced it..........A good standard model for around £130.00 instead of at least five variations all of which, no matter what one pays, has got a bloodyminded moulded smokebox dart.

So we could have had a half moulded dart like the J11

So we could have had a half moulded dart like the J11

Hornby has lead the way to moulded detail like smokebox darts in the 21st Century, seemingly assisted by trainset people and tightwads who do not mind the railway modelling hobby going backwards so long as prices are reduced. It is a slippery slope. I am aware of the half dart on the Bachmann J11, another non-necessecity because if an assembler has to fit a half dart it would take him no longer to fit a double dart in the same hole! 

Editted because I have also added an illustration of the return crank to the Capritti gearbox off the centre driving wheel...

post-6680-0-74210700-1389862502.jpg

• RMweb Gold

It's not just the J11 that has the half moulded smoke box dart, there are others - 57xx & Standard 5MT immediately spring to mind as I've had to replace them on both! Not to mention the completely overscale lamp brackets that Bachmann still use, at least Hornby get the a lot better even as moulded on detail ;)

Back to topic, I hadn't actually noticed the return crank was missing on the RR DoG lol

• RMweb Gold

.  I have been trying to purchase a DOG (not the Railroad model) but it looks as if there is none to be got in the whole UK, unless someone knows otherwise.

Diesel Depot (no connection) are advertising them - whether this is the same as being in stock, I know not.   (See post #320)

http://www.dieseldepot.co.uk/class-a1-60163-tornado-late-br-etched-nameplates-special-edition-steam-locomotive/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Duke-of-Gloucester-Special-edition-detail-added-Test-run-only-R3191-/141164539652?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item20de0fef04

"Amazing detail just a waste being sat in a box in the bedroom."

Yes, it would have been there literally ... hours.

I'm confused by this sort of listing.

if you buy to sell on, you don't 'detail up' as this will almost certainly impact on resale value.

Could it be this purchaser has detailed up and is now disappointed with the model?

Or are they a philanthropist who likes selling models on at a loss?

Thankyou Coachmann for the picture of the Caprotti drive mechanism off the centre driving wheel return crank.

Here is the Duke as it ought to have been with BR.

Quite an interesting pic for me to do as it was a thrill to receive it only a few days after despatch from a shop in Peterborough, Newmodellersshop, and I took a very quick photo or two.  Normally for my pics at this 3/4 angle I take 3 or more at different focus distances and graft them together, but this time a single pic sufficed and I just messed around with  the image slghtly to get reasonable depth of field.   It makes me wonder whether it is necessary to have every part of the pic in perfect focus with zone-focussing, as I am sure Andy Y and such brilliant people as Tony Wright have thought these things through.

My own camera is a 14MP Canon SX150is and I use PSP6 software. 

This pic includes bit added like deflector stays, many parts tidied, straightened, and generally coloured or brightened or shaded and dulled,  and I might change it to 71001 , the Riddles 8P that never was.   I have sort of implied a return crank for the valve gear but haven't dug out many pics yet to see how they look exactly. The gear-drive assembly for the gear is not perfectly aligned with the centre of the middle driving wheel, either..

But it could have been nearly as good as a Duchess, given ashpan and breathing mods? Or perhaps a Merchant Navy trumped them all...

post-7929-0-90363000-1389918411_thumb.jpg

Thankyou Coachmann for the picture of the Caprotti drive mechanism off the centre driving wheel return crank.

Here is the Duke as it ought to have been with BR.

Quite an interesting pic for me to do as it was a thrill to receive it only a few days after despatch from a shop in Peterborough, Newmodellersshop, and I took a very quick photo or two.  Normally for my pics at this 3/4 angle I take 3 or more at different focus distances and graft them together, but this time a single pic sufficed and I just messed around with  the image slghtly to get reasonable depth of field.   It makes me wonder whether it is necessary to have every part of the pic in perfect focus with zone-focussing, as I am sure Andy Y and such brilliant people as Tony Wright have thought these things through.

My own camera is a 14MP Canon SX150is and I use PSP6 software. 

This pic includes bit added like deflector stays, many parts tidied, straightened, and generally coloured or brightened or shaded and dulled,  and I might change it to 71001 , the Riddles 8P that never was.   I have sort of implied a return crank for the valve gear but haven't dug out many pics yet to see how they look exactly. The gear-drive assembly for the gear is not perfectly aligned with the centre of the middle driving wheel, either..

But it could have been nearly as good as a Duchess, given ashpan and breathing mods? Or perhaps a Merchant Navy trumped them all...

attachicon.gifDuke_of_Edinburgh_71001_shed_8abc_r1200_crop2.jpg

Yeah nice Rob, but still with the post preservation modified tender though..... I did read a magazine article many years ago that suggested the 'Duke' names for the proposed class of 50 odd 'Dukes'.   Edinburgh was one and Hamilton was another, all sorts of possibilities for the club members who all have a Duke of Gloucester.

Still to finish my DJH one.

Dave Franks.

I'm confused by this sort of listing.

if you buy to sell on, you don't 'detail up' as this will almost certainly impact on resale value.

Could it be this purchaser has detailed up and is now disappointed with the model?

Or are they a philanthropist who likes selling models on at a loss?

He's probably just realised it's in it's preserved condition and not 1950s condition so is out of place on a period layout, if one worries about these things.

The Duke was much modified in preservation to carry on the development that BR stopped before the loco reached it's full potential, - Kylchap exhaust and chimney, valve mods, ashpan mods, trailing truck mods etc.etc. Okay many can't be seen but the tender modification certainly can.

Just me trying to convince myself I need to finish my DJH kit which was being built in 1958 condition with the then mods fitted.

So much to do, so little time.

Dave Franks.

Saw one yesterday at my local model club. Looked very nice, ran very well too! Theres the odd moulded detail, but not noticable, especially when running! The buffers looked a little plastic, but a little bit of paint would sort that. If all the little details bug you that much I'm sure they can be changed/added, we are ment to be modellers after all! :P

If Hornby had produced a 1954 version of 8P Duke of Gloucester to Bachmann standards, I would have bought it no hesitation.  I looked at the various images of Hornby's Duke on RMweb to see what was necessary to bring it up to 1954 condition. Smoke deflectors would be replaced with etched ones and wire handrails and engraved namelates, and the tender would be rebuilt to look like the original BR1E type. In the end there was little point in throwing money at the full-fat versions and so I ordered a Railroad version yesterday. The missing return crank will be fitted of course.

It doesn't fit in with Greenfield historically, but modellers licence will see it being tested when new on the severe Standedge route. In anycase, I would like one on the shelf in my room.

He's probably just realised it's in it's preserved condition and not 1950s condition so is out of place on a period layout, if one worries about these things.

ah but he specifically further detailed it in its preservation role. Very odd if you ask me.

Archived