Decorated samples of the ''Duke of Gloucester''

Multiple identity account 2

Found these two links from Hornby's facebook page.

RAILROAD VERSION http://Hornby.tumblr.com/post/47020034692/hand-decorated-pre-production-sample-r3168-br

STANDARD VERSION http://Hornby.tumblr.com/post/47022450194/hand-decorated-pre-production-sample-r3191-br

They look quite good. Especially the main range version.

"Smaples"? :jester:

I suspect that's a trick of shadowing rather than an overhang.

I'm looking also at Redgate's deflectors and thinking something's not quite right there; they project a little too far forward, giving it the look of a DRG/DR "01" with the huge Wagner deflectors.

Also exactly what has "design clever" done to both the models?

It's given them a range of details moulded onto the locomotive in place of separately fitted parts, including horrible moulded handrails on the deflectors. Welcome back to the 1980's.......

Pictures a bit small and dark to really tell what the £30 difference in price gets you, I hope its not just glazing and nameplates! Also exactly what has "design clever" done to both the models?

You are clicking on them to enlarge, aren't you?

You are clicking on them to enlarge, aren't you?

Have now, still a bit dark to see if separate handrails on the deflectors on the dearer one, but there is a suggestion of a separately fitted handrail down the bodyside, and there is definitely something not right with the bogie. Saw this at Glasgow show and assumed this was just a mock up using another bogie, but it has reached this stage now and no change.

Is it just me, or does the front of the smokebox overhang alot more than it should?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/13d3068ecb532b755ecc5e58579fcff6/tumblr_mkokvlTQXM1rf5cmjo2_1280.jpg

Compared to say this picture

http://www.docbrown.info/docspics/nymr/loco71000/P9277226.jpg

Simon

Is it just me, or does the front of the smokebox overhang alot more than it should?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/13d3068ecb532b755ecc5e58579fcff6/tumblr_mkokvlTQXM1rf5cmjo2_1280.jpg

Compared to say this picture

http://www.docbrown.info/docspics/nymr/loco71000/P9277226.jpg

Simon

Looks to me as if the bogie is back too far. I wonder if it was not attached at the time?

Not convinced.

Smoke deflector handrails look moulded and just picked out in silver.

The amoun of work, including a complete repaint to bring this up to standard is MUCH MORE than the reduced price of 'design cleaver'. For the detail conscious modeller, this is  complete false economy.

It is such a shame than Hornby did this, when Bachman could have done a '9F quality' job on 71000, either on their own, or commissioned by a retailer. And just when they were seriously sorting their chassis design (brass bearings).

• RMweb Gold

Not convinced.

The amoun of work, including a complete repaint to bring this up to standard is MUCH MORE than the reduced price of 'design cleaver'.

I dont know how you can base "the amount of work needed to be done" on some pics on facebook and does it not say "hand painted pre production sample" on there too?

Not convinced.

The amoun of work, including a complete repaint to bring this up to standard is MUCH MORE than the reduced price of 'design cleaver'. For the detail conscious modeller, this is  complete false economy.

It is such a shame than Hornby did this, when Bachman could have done a '9F quality' job on 71000, either on their own, or commissioned by a retailer. And just when they were seriously sorting their chassis design (brass bearings).

But the point is Bachmann did not do it and Hornby have!

Both versions do appear to show moulded handrails on the deflectors - I guess the production versions will have whatever comes out of the parts bin on assembly so could we see a moulded handrail on one side and a wire one on the other side? Could it be another Hornby 'lucky dip' assembly line error.

• RMweb Gold

Looks to me as if the bogie is back too far. I wonder if it was not attached at the time?

Gosh! Rather looks to me as if the whole area of bogie/cylinder/chimney is suffering from misalignment - just look at pictures of the real thing on line

Phil

Sorry to bring bad news then, just had the bottom off my new Hornby 42xx.......still 3mm diameter axles but now running directly in the mazak chassis....NO brass bearings any more for Hornby by the look of things.

• RMweb Premium

Getting back to the Dook, and looking at the relevant drawing, a line drawn upwards through the centre of bogie and cylinders should pass through the back half of the chimney, not, as seems to be the case here, the front half.  It could just be the photos, but then again....

Unlike Redgate's version, it looks wrong.  Moulded handrails (or not) seem the least of its problems.

• Too many people just are not prepared to wait and see. For some of us "design clever" is excellent as it means that we might just about be able to afford to buy one of these locos. Clearly some of you have so much money in your pockets to burn that every miniature detail must be just right for you, before you will buy a model. I think some of you will never accept this model however good it is in its finished form - how sad you cannot consider other modellers points of view or that moulding technology has clearly improved over time.

Edwin

Archived