Metropolitan British Thompson Loco-A 3D print project

OliverSR

After seeing other people having a go at 3D printing I decided I wanted to try.

I wanted to Try something fairly simple shaped to start with so after always having an interest in London Transport I found drawings for a Metropolitan Bo-Bo built by British Thompson which was the predecessor to the famous Metropolitan Vickers Bo-Bo(Sarah Siddons Class).

I found drawings and photographs in "The London Underground: Surface Stock Plan Book 1863-1959-Ian Huntley" and "Metro Memories-Dennis Edwards, Ron Pilgram" but cannot post them here due to copyright.

After several tutorial videos in how to use Google sketchup I decided to have a go.

I then made the model, which took ages as I kept having to re-do parts once I realized they were wrong.

MetLocoFinal_zps8933ecba.jpg

(Early Computer Model)

I ended up going though over 20 different versions of the model.

MetLoco-Radleymod2chassHR_zpsf9b150e8.jp

(Later Computer Model)

Eventually I got it to a stage where I was ready to send it off for printing from shapeways.

Link to Model on Shapeways-http://www.shapeways.com/model/683420/met-bth-loco.html?li=my-models&key=6b6e4dd93ff235d1226493c785749073

MetLoco-Radleymod2chassHRScalehrmodcabmo

(Final Computer Model)

The model has recently arrived and will use components from Radley Models existing kits which require fitting.

IMG_0617_zpsbdaecb36.jpg

(Printed Model)

This shows the model at its current state where it needs cleaning up and fitting of components such as buffers.

The model will be used to take moldings for a resin kit from Radley Models and will be handed over at the Acton Depot Show. Just though I would put the project on this forum as I have only recently joined though am a member of other forums. If you have any questions I will try to answer and welcome any comments.

OliverSR

As I briefly mentioned this model will be being used by Phil Radley or Radley Models to take moldings for him to use in a kit. These resin bodies will be much cheaper and you will be able to afford a complete kit for not much more than this 3D print has cost me. At the upcoming Acton Depot open day on the Sunday I will be bringing the prototype to hand over. I imagine the kit will be available by the end of the year but I have not done anything like this before so cannot say for certain how long it will take.

OliverSR

• 2 months later...

Today I have spoken to Phil Radley and hopefully the prototype models and flush glazing will be arriving soon. I will get my hands on some shortly after and put some photos up.

The kit is now listed on his website for anyone who is interested Click Here.

OliverSR

• 4 weeks later...

Got a parcel from Phil Radley the other day containing the first few moldings of the kit. This is what the kit looked like when I opened it and looked at the parts.

DSCF2516800x600_zps913bf47d.jpgDSCF2517800x600_zps2118823d.jpgDSCF2518800x600_zpsac1bf385.jpg

The Body, chassis, motor frame and the non-motorized bogie all looked good and the model has been finely replicated in resin. I cleaned off some of the flash and put all the parts together. The holes needed some filing open to get a free rotating bogie. I have dry assembled the parts to test it and it all works well. I will give the loco a test at my local club.

DSCF2520800x600_zps38131796.jpgDSCF2519800x600_zps9ec79d7f.jpgDSCF2521800x600_zps44e0d54d.jpg

I am pleased with how things are shaping up though I do still need shoebeams for the non-motorized bogie which is on order. I hope this is of interest to people and those of you who have this kit on order(If anyone) can see how it is looking. I will get this one made to test the running and make up a decorated non-motorized one for the Radley Models stand at shows.

OliverSR

I have now recieved shoebeams and so have been able to put them on the bogie to see how it looks. Here is a quick photo of how looks.

EB8B09D9-1B05-4073-98C7-9349965A28EF-201

I also took it to my club test track and despite the heat it was still able to haul 4 coaches. I took a quick video on my phone to show its running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzzcie9lXtI

Hopefully get it tidied up and decorated soon as well as handrails etc.

OliverSR

Haahaa very well spotted

I thought it looked more Ghostly when it was in Frosted ultra detail

Time for some progress,

The parts have been filed and dry fitted.
Here is a photo to give an idea of what the finished model will look like.

A3F74924-5CB1-4147-8EB9-6A80A251B2C2-112

OliverSR

Might have to check the test track.

If there's a Bo-Bo ghost, up to no good, Who you gunna call... :jester:

OliverSR

• 3 weeks later...

I've one on order with Phil, and hope to receive it in the next week or two.

Its good to hear from someone who will be buying one of the kits and I welcome any feedback as it is the first time I have had anything to do with kit designing.

I have been focusing on other projects recently so there is no progress on my kit. I have got someone else building one as a display model for the radley stand and once I hear back from that I will probably post a photo or two.

I do have another 3D printing project or a metropolitan item of rolling stock which I  have started and will continue work on once I am happy the Met BTH loco is finished. If anyone wants to they can try to guess what this new project is.

OliverSR

• 2 weeks later...

One of them actually went into LT service, but as a MetroVic, No 17, Florence Nightingale. It was the only one that was converted. The rest would have been withdrawn in the 1920s when they were replaced by the MetroVics. When I get mine, I need to decide if it is going to be No 17, but reversing history and making ot the only one that wasn't converted, or it being a Service Stock loco, which then gives me the problem of which number to allocate as there are no gaps in Service Stock numbering. As No 17, it was involved in an accident in 1943 and was scrapped later that year. A terrible shame as if any loco was to have been preserved as a static display, that would have been the one as its origins went way back almost to the start of electrification on the Met.

As regards your next model, I'm guessing that it must be something like the Hurst Nelson Guards Van B557,or the Flat Brake FB578, both of which are at Quainton Road and would have been easy to measure up and take photos. If you're really ambitions it will be the LT Hopper Wagon HW418, which is also at Quainton Road. If it's any of those you can sign me up for an order now!

EDIT: Or it might be the DEL120 experimental Tube-sized diesel loco, but that wasn't specifically Metropolitan, and was fabricated out of two ex-CLR Motor Cars, but judging by its appearance looks like a relatively easy "3D Printed" prototype. 

I understand that No2 was also rebuilt from one of the BWE locos but some experts suggest as many as 5 BTH/BWE locos were rebuilt!

J Graeme Bruce in his book "Workhorses of the London Underground" quotes MV locos numbers 6, and 17, ex-Westinghouse and ex-BTH respectively as being the two rebuilds, but in the Appendix only records No 17 as being the prototype rebuild. The 2 rebuilds are also stated by Ian Huntley in his "London Underground Surface Stock Plan Book" but without giving the running numbers.

However KR Benest's "Metropolitan Electric Locomotives" says "..In the event, after the first body had been virtually reconstructed, its weight now enhanced by no less than 11 tons 14 cwt., it was decided that it would be more economical to construct entirely new bodies and accept the scrap value of the old shells in part payment.". He then adds "The Metropolitan themselves equipped the prototype, No. 17, at Neasden and as a result minor modifications were incorporated in the remainder prior to delivery."

The BTH locos are very similar in appearance to the MV locos, and it is easy to see how the BTH body shell was the basis of the MV one. However, the Westinghouse Steeple Cab Camel Back locos bore very little resemblance to the MV design, and it looks as though they would have required almost every body panel replacing or significant modification. The individual panels of the Westinghouse body do not appear to have been the same width as those on the BTH and MV locos. Given the other changes, it seems there would have been very little of the Westinghouse loco body shell remaining other than the louvred panels on the ends which would have ended up on the sides of the new locos.

There is no doubt that the intention was to rebuild all 10 of the Westinghouse locos and all 10 of the BTH locos.

I haven't come across any references that up to 5 may have been rebuilt. This seems highly unlikely given that MV and the Met were in dispute over the extent and cost of the works and that new body shells was agreed to be the cheaper option. The only support for 5 rebuilds of which I'm aware would seem to be the photo from 1922 of the 15 body shells in Vickers works in Barrow in Furness. But the viewpoint from which that photo was taken could have resulted in the additional 4 body shells being out of shot. Incidentally the Met used that same photo in their Diamond Jubilee booklet celebrating the first 60 years of the Met. But I'd be interested to learn of your source.

So you pays your money and you takes your choice. I'm more inclined to go with Ken Benest's view that No 17 was the only true rebuild as this is the only loco that all sources seem to agree was rebuilt.

For the next model I am working on following a suggestion from Phil Radley that this kit would be a good one to do is...

Met 14Ton Ballast Brake van

I have learnt from my experience with the BTH loco and been able to scan the drawing and put it into the computer for me to trace and work from to a greater level of accuracy. I have also figured out how to do added detail such as gaps between planks and rivets. There wasn't a suitable chassis around RTR so I thought I would try to design one omitting the axleboxes and springs which I will buy molded parts for like with buffers, I have currently got the body fully formed and will probably be altered slightly and improved but the majority of the work is done on it. The chassis is currently flat with the parts drawn on and I will add depth next.

Image1_zpse7260f7a.jpg

This shows the current state of the model and the color scheme was just to make the parts stand out and it looks more like the sorta thing you would see from one of the RTR manufacturers so it looks better. Is has also been uploaded to shapeways and so can be viewed revolving on there.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/1234672/?li=modelEdit

I hope you think it looks decent and is interesting to some of you out there and I will update with progress on this and the BTH when there is more.

OliverSR

• 2 weeks later...
I have now started painting my own kit for the BTH loco and this shows how it is currently looking.
DSCF2530800x600_zps1fb47d0f.jpg
DSCF2528800x600_zpsb6656e52.jpg
I confess my real world modeling skills are not as good as my computer modeling skills but if I can make this look half decent then hopefully its not too hard as kits go.
I have also created a seperate thread for the 14Ton Ballast Brake I for my next project.
As always I will report more progress to you when there is any.
OliverSR

• RMweb Premium

For the next model I am working on following a suggestion from Phil Radley that this kit would be a good one to do is...

Met 14Ton Ballast Brake van

I have learnt from my experience with the BTH loco and been able to scan the drawing and put it into the computer for me to trace and work from to a greater level of accuracy. I have also figured out how to do added detail such as gaps between planks and rivets. There wasn't a suitable chassis around RTR so I thought I would try to design one omitting the axleboxes and springs which I will buy molded parts for like with buffers, I have currently got the body fully formed and will probably be altered slightly and improved but the majority of the work is done on it. The chassis is currently flat with the parts drawn on and I will add depth next.

Image1_zpse7260f7a.jpg

This shows the current state of the model and the color scheme was just to make the parts stand out and it looks more like the sorta thing you would see from one of the RTR manufacturers so it looks better. Is has also been uploaded to shapeways and so can be viewed revolving on there.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/1234672/?li=modelEdit

I hope you think it looks decent and is interesting to some of you out there and I will update with progress on this and the BTH when there is more.

OliverSR

Looking good, I want one please.

• 2 months later...

Hopefully this will be one of the last updates I will do on this thread.

I have finished my model and so I know that the kit is do-able.

D06EE1C8-44A7-4E27-8792-D402DB48DCB3-952
For mine I have done mine in a unlined Metropolitan livery which I have seen a BTH loco in though I have used modelers license for the handrails and a simplified livery but that is just my personal preference.

4223A21E-B08E-4E01-BB66-6DD48446C105-952

67F51235-58B1-481A-B4A2-F1A2E52F5ACB-952

There are a few areas I may touch up on my model but I am overall satisfied with finish I have achieved. My modeling skills are not as good as many people so I have no doubt that others of you can do a much better job on the kit if you get one. I have tested it running and will get the video edited and uploaded to youtube before the end of the week.

The kit should go on sale on radley models late November as I am currently waiting for the display model to be finished and then sent to phil, but when its done I will upload photos of it as it will be nicer than my effort.

I have a few of the first run of castings for the kit which I will not be needing. They are just the resin parts so transfers and motors are required but as they are just parts I would offer them for a lower price. If you are interested in getting one please message me and I will be at the Cotswold Model Railway Show(http://www.cotswoldmrs.co.uk/) this weekend so could arrange a collection if you are local.

Anyway hopefully this project is now starting to reach a conclusion

OliverSR

Definitely slab-ended.

There are pictures in the Metro Memories Trilogy e.g. Pages 53 and 59 of "Golden Years of the Metropolitan Railways"

A larger article on Page 34 of Ian Huntley's "The Lundon Underground Surface Stock Planbook"

Archived