What have you done with your Keyser kit

Didn't the GF OO gauge prairie have the number plate (81xx series) moulded on the bunker side ? Asking as it was over 35 years since I had one, memory isn't perfect. 

Edited by bike2steam

Having read through this thread again last night, today I stumbled upon a reference to the Spanish manufacturer Mabar on the Castle Aching thread. Looking through for any items of interest, I found:-

Mabar's intention was to make train enthusiams bigger. Therefore, Mabar come to an agreement with the british company KEYSER, who were to manufacture their models and start to produce a series of Spanish locomotive kits in white metal. KEYSER successfully reproduced the steam locomotives MATARO, MIKADO, NORTH 030, CONFEDERACION and the railcar BRILL. Then the NURIA train etched brass kits followed, as well as ELECTRIC 700, DDE CAR, etc; to fill the gap that existed in the world of the Spanish models.

This would seem to imply that Keyser made a kit for my favourite Sarria Line Brill cars at some point (see here). Has anyone ever seen one of these please? A quick Google search has proved fruitless....

Don't say sorry! Your loss!

It would have been easier to sell them to us madmen on flebay and buy some car wheel weights all ready sized up and ready to go at your local tyre store!

I should have added that that was in pre-eBay days. I now have a sufficient supply of lead flashing to last me a lifetime and a half!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been scanning old mags again, this time the 1958 Model Railway News, and turned up a load of interesting K's ads.

First, Coal tank anyone?

post-807-0-64812000-1500912720_thumb.jpgpost-807-0-50058100-1500912765_thumb.jpg

Or if your allegiances are elsewhere, how about a Dean Goods?  Also note the 'spoiler' regarding a TT3 Prairie Tank to fit the Castle chassis.  Has anyone ever seen one?

post-807-0-49635800-1500912799_thumb.jpgpost-807-0-48209200-1500912843_thumb.jpg

A Grain Wagon - and a built-up one from a review.

post-807-0-28712700-1500912889_thumb.jpgpost-807-0-01170400-1500913184_thumb.jpg

A list of products including the TT3 ones - and the Prairie again.

post-807-0-16384800-1500913259_thumb.jpg

How about some coaches for your Coal Tank to try and pull?  I wonder how many it could manage! And what radius curves could they manage to negotiate?

post-807-0-83485700-1500913294_thumb.jpg

And a Milk Tank to add to the train as well?

post-807-0-71083600-1500913355_thumb.jpg

Another list of products -

post-807-0-77331000-1500913395_thumb.jpg

And their attempts to grab some more of the burgeoning TT3 market -

post-807-0-88832600-1500913454_thumb.jpgpost-807-0-25499700-1500913494_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Now that surprised me that the 97xx came out so early in the TT stages.  It was only one year old in 58.

Garry

See my new TT3 thread in Collectable/Vintage for more.

Edited by 5050
  • Like 1

I've been trying to buy those LNWR coach kits for years. They seem to go for a fortune.

Tony

Took me a while to get mine (unbuilt), then a second set (built) soon followed. You just need to keep an eye open for ones without descriptions as you get less competition due to not showing up in searches.

I also have some plastic pressed sides (done by Roxey Mouldings) produced by Mike Peascod to fit on Ratio bogie coaches in the loft

• 3 weeks later...

Some more adverts, this time from 1960 MRN.

The Midland 3F bodyline tank kit.  Was the J50 their first in this format?

post-807-0-55072000-1502456882.jpg

Two new motors.

post-807-0-49178200-1502456868.jpg

And some flywheels to go with them.  Why weren't they fully finished in the factory?  I don't get having to balance them yourself after fitting.  And what about the filings etc. getting into the motor whilst doing it?

post-807-0-20225800-1502456844.jpg

A Tender Drive  - also suitable for Kitmaster.  Interesting they publicised the 'competition'.

post-807-0-92103300-1502456920.jpg

The Southwold Tank body.  A commision job then added to their list.  I remember this being recommended as a possible body for an 00 dock tank in an MRC.

post-807-0-42148300-1502456899.jpg

And a full list of their products to date.

post-807-0-57891200-1502456855.jpg

• Like 3

By shear accident I may have found the K's narrow gauge van and wagon body kits. I looked at an eBay lot which was described as TT gauge, there was a plastic bogie with a 12mm wheelbase but I thought these were perhaps GEM or similar

post-1131-0-78678000-1502871146.jpg

Were not arranged as clearly as this in the listing

post-1131-0-47763800-1502871168.jpg

Nor close up shots

post-1131-0-03441100-1502871186.jpg

But this is the dovetail connection K's use in their coach, van and wagon kits which I have not seen used by others

Any thoughts please

• 2 weeks later...

I've been scanning old mags again, this time the 1958 Model Railway News, and turned up a load of interesting K's ads.

First, Coal tank anyone?

attachicon.gifK's Coal Tank.1.jpgattachicon.gifK's Coal Tank.2.jpg

Or if your allegiances are elsewhere, how about a Dean Goods?  Also note the 'spoiler' regarding a TT3 Prairie Tank to fit the Castle chassis.  Has anyone ever seen one?

attachicon.gifK's Dean Goods .1.jpgattachicon.gifK's Dean Goods.2.jpg

A Grain Wagon - and a built-up one from a review.

attachicon.gifK's Grano kits.jpgattachicon.gifK's Grano built.jpg

A list of products including the TT3 ones - and the Prairie again.

attachicon.gifK's list of TT etc.jpg

How about some coaches for your Coal Tank to try and pull?  I wonder how many it could manage! And what radius curves could they manage to negotiate?

attachicon.gifK's LNWR Coaches.jpg

And a Milk Tank to add to the train as well?

attachicon.gifK's Milk Tank.jpg

Another list of products -

attachicon.gifK's product's ad.jpg

And their attempts to grab some more of the burgeoning TT3 market -

attachicon.gifK's TT Pannier and Shunter Truck.jpgattachicon.gifK's TT Wagons.jpg

Coal Tank £108 in todays money .

Not sure if this is a K's, but sometimes the frustration just becomes too much...

A couple of evenings work and you could have it looking like this :no:

post-9992-0-98680200-1503862177_thumb.jpg

Nowt wrong with the K's Pannier - built as per the kit using K's wheels and motor. (A night of  beer was bet on being able to build this as per the original kit......so it works perfectly. The K's disbeliever lost big time). Sold on all my Bachmanns as my K's fleet run better, haul more and do not have a top feed!

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 6

A couple of evenings work and you could have it looking like this :no:

attachicon.gifPannier 7777mail.jpg

Nowt wrong with the K's Pannier - built as per the kit using K's wheels and motor. (A night of  beer was bet on being able to build this as per the original kit......so it works perfectly. The K's disbeliever lost big time). Sold on all my Bachmanns as my K's fleet run better, haul more and do not have a top feed!

Mike Wiltshire

All these Keyser detractors, the kits are what they were designed for, which was a complete kit with a budget price, allowing entry into kit built locos back in the 60's.

The early kits were a lot easier to get running with the pre-quartered wheels and 5 pole motors which worked well. The main issue with these were the chassis which had Keyhole stamped axle slots to accommodate the pre-quartered wheels. There are many examples still running long after their RTR counterparts of the late 70's

As a young teenager I longed after Wills kits, but once you bought all the parts they were twice the price of K's kits

The decline of the kits came when plastic injected parts were included, initially the new wheels "D" type, then that awful HMP2 motor, followed by the plastic hand rail knobs and 8 ba nuts and bolts. These kits are greatly improved with the addition of new wheels, better motor and gear sets and in some cases new chassis. This now takes the kits away from the budget price

Nucast did improve the kits with better chassis, but took the kits away from the budget entry level.

What now ? They are in the safe hands of Southeastern Finecast with many eagerly awaiting the re-introduction of the range.

On the other hand many will crop up both built and un-built, sort out the wheat from the chaff and some bargains will be had like the Adams Radial I have just bought, which will be transformed with a £14 or £16 Highlevel Models gearbox. Or a pannier tank with a set of Romfords just looking for a refurbishment.

On eBay there is this P2 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-ORIGINAL-KEYSER-KIT-GRESELY-THANE-OF-FIFE-LNER-P2-OO-GAUGE-RAILWAY-TRAIN-/382204297517?hash=item58fd26c12d:g:MvUAAOSwl7JZnIkI  Starting off at a modest price, certainly it deserves new wheels, motor and gearbox, I doubt if the new owner will get his hammer out, but will have quite a few pleasurable hours building it

Surely a contender for the Turner Prize?

Or Birmingham City Council?

I must admit I occasionally feel like doing that to something I am building - and not all of them are K's kits!!

Edited by 5050

• 1 month later...