What have you done with your Keyser kit

It is down to what locomotive you put them in. I have a couple working, but there are in a L&M Lion and Thunderbolt, which only have to haul a couple of vehicles.

I defend K's but supplying the HP2 motor with a Beyer Garrett ???????????

When I last saw his layout many years ago, the impressive collection of 1800 locomotives by Mike Sharman made extensive use of the K's  motors. See how well these run

Mike Wiltshire

Mike

The motors mentioned in the first section were the K's Mk2 which was the smallest  of the openframe motors, The HP2M which we were referring was a later design with a single ended shaft. The earlier ones were perceived as the better ones. Great video thanks for the link

I have seem elsewhere that Mike Sharman died 2012 or 13.

It is saddening to think of the loss of another of those inspirational model makers that shaped our own ambitions - I know mine began in June 1970 with Stan Roberts' 'Blewcote to Bakewell' (I think) layout featured in that month's RM, reinforced by a visit to the Model Engineer exhibition that year/early '71 at which I bought a copy of the December RM in which Mike's layout was featured. Getting out that original copy (now a bit tatty, but then, so am I) is a regular Christmas 'treat for me.

But what of the layout(s)? Scrapped? Stored? Fell to bits? Revered in a hallowed place? 

I have seem elsewhere that Mike Sharman died 2012 or 13.

A Michael Sharman died in 2013 or 2014, who was a Cambridge acedemic and enthusiast of old railway lamps.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/10688360/Mike-Sharman-obituary.html

I can find no reference to "our" Mike Sharman passing away, or his current whereabouts: even in this recent RMweb discussiion:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/133325-railway-modelling-hall-of-fame/page-1.

A Michael Sharman died in 2013 or 2014, who was a Cambridge acedemic and enthusiast of old railway lamps.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/10688360/Mike-Sharman-obituary.html

I can find no reference to "our" Mike Sharman passing away, or his current whereabouts: even in this recent RMweb discussiion:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/133325-railway-modelling-hall-of-fame/page-1.

Jol, it's not the same Mike Sharman. Mike the modeller died December 2012 or 2013, there is a ref on one of the Facebook model railway groups.

I was just going to tick the like box for those wagons but I thought you deserved a bit more praise than that

Not just Ks.

but Ks and wealleans products

Looking far from thirty year old wagons well done

These are both Ks.

ks-shock-palvan.jpg

Lovely as usual ... but I always have a slight bug bear with your postings - the images you post are always quite low res so when clicked upon they hardly enlarge at all. Such a shame as it would be great to zoom in and really appreciate the excellence of both the modelling and the detail.

Not a criticism ... more of a plea  icon_e_thumbup.png

I still reduce everything to less than 800 px wide, which was what the limit on this board always used to be. Is that no longer the case?

Nope ...

Attach Files window says .... You can upload up to Unlimited of files (Max. single file size: 32MB)

eg..

post-25312-0-23159200-1548433480_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A bit more progress on the Dock Tank. The crosshead is a Comet part, it's not quite right for this loco though, the slide bars are too far apart. The supplied white metal item is similar, not a suitable material in my opinion, plus like the Comet item it's not a very good fit.

Can't think of anyone who might supply one so I'll make one up out of scrap etch etc.

Not being sure what secures the motion bracket, it seems to be located by the linkage and clamped between the running plate and frames. To get round this I've soldered a frame stretcher in below, drilled and tapped 10BA, with a clearance hole in the centre of the bracket. To locate the bracket fore and aft there's appropriate notches filed into the top of the frames.

I've got a High Level Roadrunner Compact + 60:1 and a monster Mashima 1424, bit of overkill with the latter but I happened to have one spare, plus there's plenty of room.

A few problems to solve on the horizon, split coupling rods, pickups - I never enjoy them but I'm thinking top scrapers.post-12365-0-40872900-1548528373_thumb.jpeg

Brendan

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Just been having a clear out(with James Bond travelling from Instanbul behind a black V, on TV, in the background!!!!), and came across this.

I made this when I was a teenager. I robbed the bogies for a BSL bogie Mink.I was going to throw it away but I might have a go at resurrecting it. I should have enough bits about.

post-9992-0-91513100-1548605021_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-16911900-1548605037_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-05065800-1548605045_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Just been having a clear out(with James Bond travelling from Instanbul behind a black V, on TV, in the background!!!!), and came across this.

I made this when I was a teenager. I robbed the bogies for a BSL bogie Mink.I was going to throw it away but I might have a go at resurrecting it. I should have enough bits about.

attachicon.gifIMG_2004.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2005.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2003.JPG

Mike Wiltshire

Now, Mike, you have surprised me, I thought that beast was running through Westbury Racecourse!!!

Shows how much I know!!

Chris.

Looking good, and food for thought for when I build mine. Did you consider Markits? They make some decent crossheads.

The crossheads on my Fowler dock tank (post 769) are Markits products.  Beautifully made, machined from nickel-silver.

Frank

Thanks Stuart/Frank. Had a look at post 769 and yes they look fine. I'm guessing you used the K's slidebar setup? Just measured mine and its .185" between the bars, probably a bit overscale which would explain why the crossheads are so sloppy?

The Markits catalogue is not currently available online so I've no idea what's available. Do they only make the one type?

I've also filed the bars flat on the sides making them .055" wide.

Brendan

Thanks Stuart/Frank. Had a look at post 769 and yes they look fine. I'm guessing you used the K's slidebar setup? Just measured mine and its .185" between the bars, probably a bit overscale which would explain why the crossheads are so sloppy?

The Markits catalogue is not currently available online so I've no idea what's available. Do they only make the one type?

I've also filed the bars flat on the sides making them .055" wide.

Brendan

Markits have only the one type of double-slidebar crosshead.  It comes with other small parts as well (not used) and is for slidebars 3.35 mm apart, which is less than the distance you quoted but fitted my model when it was assembled.  I seem to remember that my kit as originally supplied had wire slidebars but I replaced them with nickel strip.

The Markits code is M4CRHDDSns and the price several years ago was £7.85 per pair.  Not cheap!  But a beautifully machined component.

Frank

Edited by D51

Markits have only the one type of double-slidebar crosshead.  It comes with other small parts as well (not used) and is for slidebars 3.35 mm apart, which is less than the distance you quoted but fitted my model when it was assembled.  I seem to remember that my kit as originally supplied had wire slidebars but I replaced them with nickel strip.

The Markits code is M4CRHDDSns and the price several years ago was £7.85 per pair.  Not cheap!  But a beautifully machined component.

Frank

Thanks Frank, I'll give them a call tomorrow. Even if I don't use them I'm sure they'll come in for something else.

I've never had much success with cast crossheads much preferring built up types as come with Judith Edge kits. A machined crosshead will be something new to me.

Brendan

• 2 weeks later...

Solved the crosshead problem..... by soldering 0.5mm brass wire to top and bottom of crosshead. A bit crude but it's increased the top to bottom dimension by 1mm which seems to be enough.

It's EM gauge so clearances are tight. The next issue is getting the slidebars into the motion bracket and keeping everything square.

The pickups are going on the motor solder tags on top of the wheel treads, I've tack soldered them to the brush holders to prevent movement.

image.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hey guys.

Got myself a "new" K's kit on eBay, it has arrived today and has everything I need to build it. As I have not built a full K's kit before I wanted to check some details.

Firstly the motor, I know some models were useless, is this one of them?? or am I OK

599538004_2019-02-1316_56_56-1.jpg.76b6c2ac589ee6279781622c5e030f67.jpg

Secondly the kit itself, does anyone know how good it is on the whole? Are the supplied wheels OK etc??2016093540_2019-02-1316_46_05.jpg.44addea61c2cada6bc6ea62c92fa3bf0.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Gary

• Like 3