What have you done with your Keyser kit

Gary

Knowing your area of interest as Lbscr/Secr you may be interested to know that the original contractors locos that built the SER were large Samsons similar to lion,  named Ghost, Ghoul, Poltergeist etc so theres premise for having it on your layout, best of luck mate looking forward to seeing it done 

Killian 

Edited by Killian keane
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some years ago I bought a rather tatty K's pannier body at a show with the intention of using it for a model of a rebuilt Barry F class saddle tank loco. 

Well I finally got round to it and this is the result.

661335071_P1040443(2).JPG.2f683ecf70e40df890309ef51848ec37.JPG

The chassis, footplate and cab are from a Redcraft kit with modifications to the cab windows and with a little bodging at the base of the smokebox it all went together quite nicely.

Like many Barry engines this one went on to industrial use after being sold by the GWR, in this case it was at Ashington Colliery and was finally scrapped in 1960.

Brian

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

The Barry Railway had a good number of the 0-6-0 saddle tanks which were mainly used for shunting in the docks. After the grouping these engines were now part of the GWR and several were fitted with GWR boilers and the saddle tanks were replaced with panniers.

There are some pictures of the saddle tank version on my Llanforen thread in layout topics.

I hope that clears things up.

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've just unpacked my bubble-pack K's 63xx.  It will have a Comet chassis, Gibson P4 wheels and a Branchlines motor and gearbox.  I've separated the parts into two piles - those to be used, and those to go into the 'spares' box (quite a big pile actually but may be usable for O-16.5 ).  The motor went in the bin as it barely turned and got very hot very quickly.....

Doing this made me appreciate just how complete and for the most part well thought out the kits were.  Apart from the motor the only other obvious problem was there was only one long crank-pin wheel and five short!  now where do I direct my complaints?.......

Jeff

Many of us cut our teeth with K's kits, which in fact made whitemetal kits affordable in a time when the country were coming out of world war 2 austerity. With the other kits around by the time you bought wheels motor and gears they ended up being twice the price

They were also innovators and were prime movers introducing plastic injection mouldings, early kits came with transfers and pre-assembled wheel sets etc

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Finally started work on my K's Lion last weekend on my weekly YouTube livestream. It was just as awkward as I had been warned it would be, with none of the parts fitting, but that's half the fun!! I am trying to build the kit as intended by K's including the K's motorisation kit, although the motor may get swapped out in the future as my viewers want me to try DCC fitting it!!

Looking forward to getting on with it again, despite the issues!

Gary

1216487778_LetsBuildEpisode7.jpg.905843b17adba5731c79ed77d9bc7e04.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

My K's Lion, built as Thunderbolt, using the K's motorisation kit, but with DCC fitted via a LaisDCC 6 pin decoder in the tender, there is even space for a stay alive to be added at some point in the future! Just need to get Dan's coach to go behind it now, I already have a TOAD ready.

1207563470_2019-07-2716_56_05.jpg.cb18d84811430a48f5aa0c93ba753585.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I don't have it in front of me so I cannot check so does anyone know what type of boiler was represented in the K's model of the ubiquitous Dean Goods. I have 2 K's Dean Goods and a Mallard models one in my metal pile. So was thinking of using one of the K's as the basis for something else.

10 minutes ago, Brassey said:

IIRC the K's has a standard Belpaire boiler (as does the Mallard).  I have dismantled mine but think the smokebox is a separate casting.

I can confirm the firebox is made up from 3 castings main castings plus a back head and a front to attach to the 2 piece boiler/smoke box casting. sorry no instructions

That is very helpful. I wonder if I could turn a Dean Goods into a 3521 4-4-0? I really do not need 3 Dean Goods. (Turns out I also have a Comet underframe to go with one of them as well. It is amazing what you find when you go through things you purchased years ago 'for when you have time.'

On 27/07/2019 at 16:59, BlueLightning said:

My K's Lion, built as Thunderbolt, using the K's motorisation kit, but with DCC fitted via a LaisDCC 6 pin decoder in the tender, there is even space for a stay alive to be added at some point in the future! Just need to get Dan's coach to go behind it now, I already have a TOAD ready.

1207563470_2019-07-2716_56_05.jpg.cb18d84811430a48f5aa0c93ba753585.jpg

For dan's coach I'm thinking a Hornby rocket coach cut off its chassis on a suitable low loader

Edited by rovex
Typing errors
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, rovex said:

For dan's coach in thinking a Hornby rocket coach cut off its chassis in a suitable low loader

Thanks,

I have a couple of ideas for Dan's coach, I will report back here once I have had a play with a couple and come up with something (including a rocket coach, I think I have a couple of the GBL magazine replicas)

Gary

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well, after a decade of unsuccessful bidding [who would spend £25 on one?], I finally acquired one of K's 40-ton GWR loco coal bogie wagons. Tightly shrunk onto its card with, oddly, just one bogie side frame missing, it came with an unopened pack of K's GWR plate bogies for just £8. A bargain, I think.

Am I correct in thinking that the relative scarcity of this item is due to it having been produced towards the end of Keyser's activity in model railways, and so possibly having been knocked out in limited numbers?

The missing side frame is neither here nor there as I shall be fitting Cambrian Models' substitutes, with Jackson wheels. I did miss out, just, on a Coral A however, so the quest continues.....

48841990921_34b46698b5_c.jpg

Tony

I wouldn’t call them rare (although the seller did): I have been looking regularly on-line (only, I admit) for a long time though and ‘relatively scarce’  doesn't feel an exaggeration. But, as you suggested, they do crop up from time-to-time. I have certainly seen the GWR Tri-Compo and various LNWR coaches advertised more frequently. Anyway, I’ve bagged one and you’re correct, a good price. It will be interesting to see how it compares with the Cambrian one, once built.

But, perhaps an odd prototype for K’s to have chosen originally? Not exactly ubiquitous in service. I do rather like building odd or unusual stock though, so I’m not complaining!

Tony

Edited by Prometheus
puntuation