What have you done with your Keyser kit

13 hours ago, russell price said:

How to store your Ks loco once youve got all the bits off the blister packing, The black 5 has a Portescap rg4 and Romfords fitted. Otherwise as intended.

At first sight I thought it was a K's box, not one of my favourite K's loco and sold mine off. with the motor and wheels quite a find 

Decided to rebuild a truly dreadful Q1 I built over 40 years ago, without too many skills then it has to be said. Luckily it was superglued so fell apart in the Nitromors.

I've gone for an etched SEF chassis, which I've compensated with HL hornguides/blocks. HL 'box and Mashima. Articulated rods now.

I suspect I have added tender pickups unnecessarily, given how amazingly well the chassis runs with compensation on my first go. Decided to create a drawbar which does all the electrical connections without need for wires - the central brass bush provides chassis connectivity via underside of PCB, and topside contacts wiper on tender and is wired loco-side.

The body is not looking great, but we have what we have - a 40 year old K's kit. Amusingly, and annoyingly, the tender axleboxes are in different places on each side casting! The backhead is a bit of a bodge but none was included, so I have cobbled up something that at least fills the hole.

Tender middle wheelset not fitted for testing.

EDIT: need to do some more 'thinning' on various whitemetal endges.

IMG_6550D.jpeg

IMG_7359.jpeg

IMG_7386D.jpeg

IMG_7387.jpeg

IMG_7405.jpeg

IMG_7406D.jpeg

Edited by 97xx
Corrections, detail...
  • Like 16

13 hours ago, 97xx said:

Decided to rebuild a truly dreadful Q1 I built over 40 years ago, without too many skills then it has to be said. Luckily it was superglued so fell apart in the Nitromors.

I've gone for an etched SEF chassis, which I've compensated with HL hornguides/blocks. HL 'box and Mashima. Articulated rods now.

I suspect I have added tender pickups unnecessarily, given how amazingly well the chassis runs with compensation on my first go. Decided to create a drawbar which does all the electrical connections without need for wires - the central brass bush provides chassis connectivity via underside of PCB, and topside contacts wiper on tender and is wired loco-side.

The body is not looking great, but we have what we have - a 40 year old K's kit. Amusingly, and annoyingly, the tender axleboxes are in different places on each side casting! The backhead is a bit of a bodge but none was included, so I have cobbled up something that at least fills the hole.

Tender middle wheelset not fitted for testing.

EDIT: need to do some more 'thinning' on various whitemetal endges.

IMG_6550D.jpeg

IMG_7359.jpeg

IMG_7386D.jpeg

IMG_7387.jpeg

IMG_7405.jpeg

IMG_7406D.jpeg

So much better, I have two or three, K's and Southeastern Finecast, one might have been a forerunner Little Engines ?

The SEF version is the Little Engines one.

I would love to know what happened to the others in the range. Picked up a couple recently and they look fantastic kits. The Scottish D11/2 and a J11.

They were on the Hattons pre-owned for a couple of weeks at something like £40 each. Nobody bit, so I took pity on them. Maybe it's because of the RTR versions. Well at the back of the queue though.

Jason

On 18/12/2020 at 11:53, Tickplan said:

Here's my belated contribution to this long-running and fascinating thread. It is a K's body only kit of the Midland 0-4-0T (1322 Class) sitting on a scratch built (actually Gibson frames) chassis with a Mashima chassis, High Level gearbox to S4 standards. It uses Gibson brass-centred wheels and split frame/split axle construction. Runs well and looks good despite my poor paintwork job. This is one case where the cast metal body helps with adhesion in such a small loco.

Bryan

Photo 12.JPG

P2280019.JPG

Love this to bits.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bit the bullet and gave it the Archer rivet and weld treatment. Not 100% correct to prototype I know but improves it I think.

The camera isn't very forgiving to the carrier film...

I've given it the smokebox weld repair patch that 33019 carried in later life.

IMG_7449.jpeg

IMG_7446D.jpeg

IMG_7445 (1).jpeg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Just now, Firecrest said:

That’s helpful to know - what else would fit in the event of one of those not making an appearance? This is new territory for me ...

A Hornby power drive might fit.
You will have to cut away the coal space.
Chris.

I have a couple of Millholme kit which has a variable wheelbase 6'6" x 6'6" or 7' x 7' or 7'6" x 7'6" wheelbase, uses an old Airfix 1002 Slimline motor and drives the two outer wheels

300.jpeg.1f5868b766d4a81483c42b64ec106179.jpeg

Sorry about side on but its fine in my computer file. Simple idea just need a double ended can motor of an appropriate size then design a cradle to fit

3 hours ago, great central said:

Could you use an Airfix tender drive as used by their 4F and 2P? I have a Hornby Compound done by someone else which uses the Airfix tender drive.

That would be ideal, and I suppose there is the Lima motor from the surplus tender! I'll have a think :huh: 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Firecrest said:

That would be ideal, and I suppose there is the Lima motor from the surplus tender! I'll have a think :huh: 

I have a spare Airfix tender drive unit if you want it, £5 including postage?

On 19/01/2021 at 22:21, sjp23480 said:

I have a spare Airfix tender drive unit if you want it, £5 including postage?

Thank you that’s a very kind offer but I do have some spare ones knocking around - I’m torn between using an Airfix RTR or motorising the Keyser kit! 

• RMweb Premium

E99408DD-01B6-4883-8C1F-E7C9B55AB401.jpeg.a14e444435e00b1dc058ac49b1bf9218.jpeg

A repair and makeover with light weathering of a K’s autocoach. Original build was mid 1980’s.

AA1BA9E6-0C54-46E5-8673-9B371439ED1F.jpeg.6b25ccb9a9a980e0d3476a460cd79a54.jpeg

The overall build quality was excellent, despite it being a two part roof, there was no evidence of the join line at all.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Very interesting this thread as over the past 50 didn't realise just how many ex K's kits I've seem to have built/collected/modified/ repainted etc etc. Thus particular example has an excellent heavy body, well painted standard K's tender, mounted on a traing chassis with X04 motor, K's wheels. Currently under test very powerfull haulier recorded a drawbar effort of 50-60 gms.

20210123_173816.jpg.7d62e76e392e3edf7482c4f0033e3361.jpg

Awaiting new cylinders value gear etc, I want to get the look right, nice big fat ones at the correct angle

• Like 2

While taking pics of crab, "spotted" this little gem just a few locos away, built by myself some 45 years ago, it's a standard K's kit still in service with the little K's mk2 motor inside. Never fitted model coupling other than chain link, it can still manage collection of light chain link coupling wagons, I've no idea who manufacturered the wagon, but it fits and important correct buffer height.

20210123_173658.jpg.54d0c01295dc94781484dc0d69a43eab.jpg

The load is scrap "N" gauge wagon bogies  I find filling wagons with stuff idea, as never seem to forget where I put such useful "bits", as at present "lockdown" provides time for building OOn9 stock

• Like 4