What have you done with your Keyser kit

33 minutes ago, locomad2 said:

I've no idea who manufacturered the wagon, but it fits and important correct buffer height.

20210123_173658.jpg.54d0c01295dc94781484dc0d69a43eab.jpg

I've got several of these wagons, which my Dad got second-hand circa 1960: as well as the steel mineral there were 5-plank and 7-plank opens and a covered van in the range - they're generic representations rather than replicas of actual wagons.  I think they dated from the late 1940s or early 1950s: the bodies were moulded in a sort of clear plastic and the underframes were very rudimentary, being made from something like Mazak, with plastic wheels.  They may have been known as "Masterpiece Models" or something similar: so far an internet search hasn't turned up anything relevant but I'll keep looking....

Alasdair

6 minutes ago, AJCT said:

I've got several of these wagons, which my Dad got second-hand circa 1960: as well as the steel mineral there were 5-plank and 7-plank opens and a covered van in the range - they're generic representations rather than replicas of actual wagons.  I think they dated from the late 1940s or early 1950s: the bodies were moulded in a sort of clear plastic and the underframes were very rudimentary, being made from something like Mazak, with plastic wheels.  They may have been known as "Masterpiece Models" or something similar: so far an internet search hasn't turned up anything relevant but I'll keep looking....

Alasdair

Dreadful models by ERG of Bournemouth. They were ridiculously cheap, for a reason!

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, locomad2 said:

Very interesting this thread as over the past 50 didn't realise just how many ex K's kits I've seem to have built/collected/modified/ repainted etc etc. Thus particular example has an excellent heavy body, well painted standard K's tender, mounted on a traing chassis with X04 motor, K's wheels. Currently under test very powerfull haulier recorded a drawbar effort of 50-60 gms.

20210123_173816.jpg.7d62e76e392e3edf7482c4f0033e3361.jpg

Awaiting new cylinders value gear etc, I want to get the look right, nice big fat ones at the correct angle

Is the loco body a Wills kit ?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, AJCT said:

Alasdair

Thank you for your reply, I've too inherited several of these wagons from my dad, but I've also found a few at toyfairs at ridiculous low prices or whole box deals. Your right underneath is very basic and suspect missing brake gear.

20210123_215933.jpg.02bc3053c915fc69e4322c1402190e36.jpg

Wheels very thick, body plastic, clear plastic base, was it a kit?, also 4 screws & nuts holding base to body, the spotty bits are remains of peco underlay foam, therefore one from my late fathers layout.

Just for interest from about same period trackmaster wagon and at correct buffer height, great advantage of these is the spilt chassis which makes replacement of wheels easy.

20210123_220154.jpg.363e62bcc7948cee6a70c5ade0996892.jpg

However plastic from this one "cellulose acetate" starting to bend, not bad for 70 years old

• Like 3

The remake of the Sow's Ear (K's Q1) has reached the paint shop.

Bit annoyed that the numbers have silvered, in spite of using MicroSol and MicroSet and satin varnishing all bar smokebox.

However, after 40 years I think it has emerged from a fairly successful 'heavy' overhaul...

One thing the pictures don't speak for is that it runs almost silently and absolutely beautifully.

The odd detail left: rear buffers obv., use Krystal Klear to 'glass' the front windows and windshield, and add the positive feed from tender which I'dd do with some 26AWG insulated wire wrapped with tiny enamelled wire to look like a corrugated pipe (the neutral runs through the drawbar). Oh, and clip off the crankpins and black the ends.

It could be closer coupled - easily done as drawbar is 1mm brass wire.

Next step is to decide about weathering. My original thought was that given how dire the kit was, necessity might be the mother of some very heavy weathering. Now I'm not so sure...

Views on a postcard please!

Oh, and with apologies to anyone who might baulk at the prospect, it will be getting a Dublo coupling on the front too.

(I know it's the wrong water filler cap.)

IMG_7484.jpeg.72c9b273496ecca93a0478933353c958.jpegIMG_7483.jpeg.b23d66695d42ee9476d9e39e323d9110.jpegIMG_7482.jpeg.4684810b986bdc0f2edc540954c9eb17.jpegIMG_7479.jpeg.44c348202f0a67356289bfa2bf236695.jpegIMG_7478.jpeg.c2887413ebfc205317ee6f10a12c796b.jpeg

Edited by 97xx
Admitted about water filler cap...
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

10 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

Great job, I particularly like the coal and coal spillage.... Can they be closer together though?

Yes as I said that is on my agenda - just a 1mm brass wire drawbar so easy to change.

The only thing I have to watch is the loco footplate not fouling the tender handbrake on curves, plus you can’t drop the tender on the hook without a lot of faffing if they’re too close as the two foot plates interact 

Edited by 97xx

• RMweb Premium

I think I may have posted similar in this thread before but I cannot find it. I have the remains of a K's LMS Karrier Ro-railer that I've built twice before but failed because I was using the K's motor. I have kept it with the long term goal to finally build it 'properly' at some point and using a modern bus model for interior etc.

With the EFE buses being half price from rails at the moment would any make a suitable donor does anyone know? Previous googling worm holes have confirmed no one does a Karrier so it would have to be A N Other.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/therailsofsheffieldvault

It will probably still languish on the someday pile but might motivate me to pick it up next time there is space on my bench.

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely stunning that Q1 97xx, however I did dig out an unfinished Q1 from 45 years ago, the chassis has long gone think 2 left sides defeated us, the motor never really worked and stuck on Brown Firth? wheels fell off. What was left was a heavy lump of white metal body and a tender with no wheels.

So I've dumped it on a triang 0-6-0 chassis with a X04 motor, idea been I will work on it, perhaps build a new chassis, or mess with existing one add proper wheels etc. What I have is an excellent working locomotive, the extra weight makes all the difference, quite capable of pulling 60 Hornby Dublo wagons, it runs beautifully smoothly no rocking, stalling etc, paint job next

20210303_233531.jpg.84c4e5e9da402c7ff6bc8b13c23beaca.jpg

• Like 8

One of my favourite locos and as you say let down by the motor and wheels

A quick and easy mod would be to use a set of Markit Drivers with a set of Markit Triang axles, plus a set of Mainly Trains coupling rods.

SEF sell the Q1 chassis as a stand alone kit with all the bells and whistles.

On 04/03/2021 at 10:01, hayfield said:

One of my favourite locos and as you say let down by the motor and wheels

A quick and easy mod would be to use a set of Markit Drivers with a set of Markit Triang axles, plus a set of Mainly Trains coupling rods.

SEF sell the Q1 chassis as a stand alone kit with all the bells and whistles.

Some years ago I re-wheeled 2 or 3 of these old chassis with Romford wheels and Romford axles simply by using the then standard 1/8 th axle bushes, the outside diameter of which fits the Triang chassis axle holes. Being a cheapskate I re-used the Triang gear by fitting the same type of axlebush to the axle with Loctite bearing fit (it was in my toolbox 'cause I used it in my job as a maintenance fitter!) and once everything was lined up gear-wise I locked that to the axle with the same Loctite. For belt and braces I filed a small flat on the outside of the bush and a small notch in the gear hole, and likewise, a flat on the axle and a notch on the inside of the bearing, forming keys with the Loctite. Thinking back this was around 1990 and the "Jinty" chassis is still running under my 0-16.5 Stephen Poole Glyn Valley Tram loco and the "Polly" chassis is under a motorized version of the Airfix City of Truro, again still working. The Jinty chassis has the nylon gear too, which I expected to give up the ghost years ago but it's still not done after 30 years!  I think, without checking, that the Triang coupling rods were used too by bushing them with a 12 BA nut pressed in with the vice jaws and soldered as well for safety to fit the Romford crank pins. These were all methods taken from articles in the modelling mags of the time.

Edited by Phil Traxson
Added info
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

Out of interest "locomad2" which bit of North Wales are you in, nearest town will do? I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but over the last few months there are quite a few of us who have realised that we all live in this general area and are beginning to wonder if we might have a bit of a meet some where in the area when it is allowed again.

Phil T.

I think there are a set of Bullied overlays on eBay, but they may be for the Westcountry 

As for the 1/8th ID axle bushes. Markits sell Triang / Hornby axles (a knurled one for the gears)

Personally I think Romford/Markit wheels improve both the Triang / Hornby and the Hornby Dublo chassis, Mainly trains (now Wizard Models) do etched coupling rods for both chassis. Both really enhance the chassis

I have even bough one converted by some else with brake shoes 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, hayfield said:

I think there are a set of Bullied overlays on eBay, but they may be for the Westcountry 

As for the 1/8th ID axle bushes. Markits sell Triang / Hornby axles (a knurled one for the gears)

Personally I think Romford/Markit wheels improve both the Triang / Hornby and the Hornby Dublo chassis, Mainly trains (now Wizard Models) do etched coupling rods for both chassis. Both really enhance the chassis

I have even bough one converted by some else with brake shoes 

They should be the same size.

I can't vouch for the model versions but the only difference with the wheels on the real ones is the WC/BBs had a smaller trailing wheel.

3'1" as opposed to the MNs 3'7".

If we are talking about Q1s then the wheels were 5 foot 1.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not done any Keyser kits as yet but I have been following a couple on Ebay. I had my eye on the LMS 0-4-0 but it had already been started off. Also loads of kitbuilt stuff on there is ready built so it's off to the rummage bins and traders once the exhibitions start up again. Time to get some white metal soldering practice in, I think

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

Not done any Keyser kits as yet but I have been following a couple on Ebay. I had my eye on the LMS 0-4-0 but it had already been started off. Also loads of kitbuilt stuff on there is ready built so it's off to the rummage bins and traders once the exhibitions start up again. Time to get some white metal soldering practice in, I think

They normally go for daft money. I keep looking myself, and for the TVR/GWR 0-4-0ST.

Keep an eye on Nucast Partners as I reckon they will be one of the ones reissued, possibly with better chassis. They've already done the LNER Y7 and Y8 0-4-0Ts.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1