What have you done with your Keyser kit

12 hours ago, Brassey said:

GWR Beyer Goods.  Bought as a wreck of parts on ebay.  Many parts missing but I recognised what it was, now merged with Dean Goods and other elements from the spares box.  Scratch built chassis.  K's Broad Gauge Rover tender converted and also on scratch built chassis.  DCC sound with cube speaker in the tender.  Front springs will be sorted once it's painted.  Brake gear still to do:

IMG_0543.jpg.5e95277484b2ca664384b31eae1b4b91.jpg

That looks superb, perhaps a step above what many of us can achieve, but certainly an exceptional model

Thinking back to when I first started building them, certainly my skills were awful, tools and glues were quite naive, as was information on building techniques. Simple things like temperature controlled soldering irons, liquid flux and a range of low and medium solder. If you are into to gluing, them no super glue let alone industrial grade, epoxy glue is now much better plus a whole range of more modern glues

The range of etched brass chassis are now quite extensive, motor prices have fallen and gearboxes are far better than old motor mounts. Perhaps wheels is the area that has fallen behind. Markits are very expensive now and Gibson not the easiest to use. But our expectations are now far greater 

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

1 hour ago, hayfield said:

That looks superb, perhaps a step above what many of us can achieve, but certainly an exceptional model

Thinking back to when I first started building them, certainly my skills were awful, tools and glues were quite naive, as was information on building techniques. Simple things like temperature controlled soldering irons, liquid flux and a range of low and medium solder. If you are into to gluing, them no super glue let alone industrial grade, epoxy glue is now much better plus a whole range of more modern glues

The range of etched brass chassis are now quite extensive, motor prices have fallen and gearboxes are far better than old motor mounts. Perhaps wheels is the area that has fallen behind. Markits are very expensive now and Gibson not the easiest to use. But our expectations are now far greater 

Thanks.  It is far from perfect. 

This had been glued and also in places soldered using standard solder. It spent years in solutions to remove the paint and glue and to dismantle itself. Eventually I managed to pull it apart. Then the footplate spent some more years pinned to a board to straighten it. 

the wheels are Gibson (P4) and I split 3 outside cranks during the assembly. Luckily I had some spares. 

Mashima 1420 motor with a high level gearbox. Beam compensation allows all wheels to move. Hornblocks are MJT. 

the tender has 3 point compensation and pick ups too. The speaker is in the tender. Just the toolboxes to fit and then prep for the paintshop. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Brassey said:

Thanks.  It is far from perfect. 

This had been glued and also in places soldered using standard solder. It spent years in solutions to remove the paint and glue and to dismantle itself. Eventually I managed to pull it apart. Then the footplate spent some more years pinned to a board to straighten it. 

the wheels are Gibson (P4) and I split 3 outside cranks during the assembly. Luckily I had some spares. 

Mashima 1420 motor with a high level gearbox. Beam compensation allows all wheels to move. Hornblocks are MJT. 

the tender has 3 point compensation and pick ups too. The speaker is in the tender. Just the toolboxes to fit and then prep for the paintshop. 

A smelly but effective and cheap method for both whitemetal and plastic is a bath in Dettol for a couple of days (great pity they don't make an odourless version,it also attacks certain glues 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...

....and a pair of Siphon F vans, part of a collection of four recently acquired in need of attention / rebuilding.

51211630555_b30238bc72.jpg

51211630460_78a07f88af.jpg

Incidentally, I found that 3mm [as in TT] decals were the right size for lettering between the panels: the G & W fit perfectly.

The problem with this group of four however is that, when finished, they’ll all run on K’s version of GWR American bogies whereas only two ever ran on them. Ah well, Rule One I suppose....

Tony

Edited by Prometheus
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

With all four now built, three run perfectly and the fourth adequately, although for that van, the track needs to be laid well. Anyway, an attractive rake for just thirty quid. But I wonder though just how often four of these would have run together given that only six were built....

51245930177_df631f4a44_z.jpg

And to add some visual interest, I gave two of the vans some branding. Probably not completely prototypical but they don't look so out of place.

51245930137_3b75efde55.jpg

51247697145_d7cb295a7a.jpg

By the way, how does one drill a square hole?

Tony

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Glutten for punishment me!! Just acquired my 4th K's Stanier Mogul kit, probably end up the same as the others( page 21), with a suitably altered Wizard/Comet Fowler/Stanier 2-6-4T chassis kit, and High Level gearbox with motor(?)   -  Now in the pile of things to do when I (eventually) get this new layout finished.??????????:sungum:

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Prometheus said:

By the way, how does one drill a square hole?

Tony

Hi Tony,

With a fancy drilling attachment and a three fluted bit:

Alternatively you could brooch the hole.

Gibbo.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Prometheus said:

. You can never have too many brown vehicles!

Tony

eer um well I have built. Six keyser' siphon F's  the same as the GWR had all acquired at toy fairs cheep and built by previous owners, stripped and detailed by me with bits added that you could get from CPS before he died to do this (Mainly brake gear,) 

now the problem is haveing two more kits which would make eight two more than really exested  so you can have too many ! No I can't resist temptation.when it's cheep

Perhaps! I can experiment by shortening the stretched middle panels on these and fit the right bogies to the ones that didn't have the American ones, why did I miss that detail ?

Edited by Graham456
  • Like 2

.....or chop them up to make Siphon C vans?

I cannot resist cheap buys either. I bought a still-shrink-wrapped-on-its-card K’s Dean PBV for an extraordinary £15 the other day. I’ve three built already, but they are such attractive vehicles.

Tony

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Prometheus said:

Tony

Yes but !

shiresceens etched brass sides on ratio coach underframes sorted my need for siphon C's out !even if the foot boards are a bit fragile so you then have to buy a brass detailing kit to sort that out

I cannot resist cheap buys either. I bought a still-shrink-wrapped-on-its-card K’s Dean PBV for an extraordinary £15 the other day. I’ve three built already, but they are such attractive vehicles.

but at least with these PBV you can ring the changes livery wise   And yep £15 is good 

anyway just about to start. On a keyser L M S cattle wagon haveing two coral A,s awaiting HRMS transfers to go back into production so I can say 

what have I done with my keyser kit?,,,,,,,,,,,built them

Edited by Graham456
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Prometheus said:

Tony

I think I'm up to seven PBV's.

Bought two the other week with 3 x 60ft brass rooves, 6 K's suburban B rooves, 3 brass underframes and some cast bogies and wheels. Twenty quid BIN....well I had to didn't I?

Edited by lofty1966
  • Like 2

This kit was part of a job lot of railway models i found at a flea market many moons ago, still shrink wrapped on its cards and amazingly complete......a bit of a faff to build but it does work!20210615_225228.jpg.9d3db18c729b399f0b70b58ea0421cad.jpg20210615_225254.jpg.77926fdf77e210a579fb5a3ec7b9b828.jpg 

Edited by 33C
added detail
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 2 weeks later...

This one I didn't make, but I did get it running!

51288135960_9276030dd3_z.jpg

A £40 eBay non-runner. Nicely built and on Romfords, it had to be worth a punt. Reason for not running? Immediately visible on arrival: a pick-up was in contact with a wheel spoke, causing a short. 30 second repair and it now runs beautifully on - surprisingly - its original K's motor. Some very minor cosmetics will follow and I'll get shot of the Triang couplings, too.

Tony

• Like 16

• 1 month later...

Beyer Goods 334 pretty much finished; springs and brake gear added:

IMG_0651.jpg.96ebe76eee655ba6f3dad4a4c4a2bd5c.jpg

On 18/04/2021 at 20:02, Brassey said:

GWR Beyer Goods.  Bought as a wreck of parts on ebay.  Many parts missing but I recognised what it was, now merged with Dean Goods and other elements from the spares box.  Scratch built chassis.  K's Broad Gauge Rover tender converted and also on scratch built chassis.  DCC sound with cube speaker in the tender.  Front springs will be sorted once it's painted.  Brake gear still to do:

IMG_0543.jpg.5e95277484b2ca664384b31eae1b4b91.jpg

Edited by Brassey
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Brassey

That's a very nice job you have done there and shows silk purses are possible from pigs ears, I thought the wheels and coupling rods looked too good for K's items. As our Cornish friends would say " Proper Job"  Thanks for sharing

Brassey

That's a very nice job you have done there and shows silk purses are possible from pigs ears, I thought the wheels and coupling rods looked too good for K's items. As our Cornish friends would say " Proper Job"  Thanks for sharing

Thanks. Yes the wheels are Gibson as well as the rods I think and the outside cranks of which I managed to split a few. The biggest challenge was the springs. The spring hangers are a Martin Finney etch and the castings came from the spares box

1 hour ago, Brassey said:

Thanks. Yes the wheels are Gibson as well as the rods I think and the outside cranks of which I managed to split a few. The biggest challenge was the springs. The spring hangers are a Martin Finney etch and the castings came from the spares box

I have a couple of Falcon Brass sets of etches only, I will look to combine a K's kit parts with the etched bits

I have a couple of Falcon Brass sets of etches only, I will look to combine a K's kit parts with the etched bits

I think this will be my last K’s kit. I do have a 44xx which I was going to build as a 45xx (2190) but I have since acquired a Malcolm Mitchell kit so will build that instead. 

I also have some Falcon etches that I will combine with a K’s Dukedog footplate to build a Bulldog/Bird. Waiting for the wheels