What have you done with your Keyser kit

47 minutes ago, Barclay said:

I've been labouring on this 1361 0-6-0ST for months now, and it is finally coming together - CSP chassis & chimney, Gibson safety valve, buffers, injectors, smokebox door handle. Unlike the Coal Tank I can't really recommend this one - too many faults!

IMG_20240107_152535_MP.jpg.c22e48f74a9802f0f7acb79f772ecba1.jpg

Stuart

This kit must be 50+ years old and designed to use chassis motors and gears of the time, plus designed to be produced at a budget price, and perhaps compromises were taken in the design

Fast forward to today with our expectations very much higher, chassis, motor, gear and wheels design and technology has improved no end

If you were designing a kit today I guess it would be a mixture of etched and resin cast components, with smaller motors and gear train which would leave the cab clear for detailing

I think you are doing a splendid job with this one and I guess it will out live any modern RTR model and possibly outperform them

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hayfield said:

Stuart

This kit must be 50+ years old and designed to use chassis motors and gears of the time, plus designed to be produced at a budget price, and perhaps compromises were taken in the design

Fast forward to today with our expectations very much higher, chassis, motor, gear and wheels design and technology has improved no end

If you were designing a kit today I guess it would be a mixture of etched and resin cast components, with smaller motors and gear train which would leave the cab clear for detailing

I think you are doing a splendid job with this one and I guess it will out live any modern RTR model and possibly outperform them

Oh. I don't know, the Heljan version is a little belter and will pull a house down!

Jason

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

To all of you that responded on my question regarding the Jubilee colour, thank you very much.

In the end I went for the Humbrol code 20 acrylic with 3 coats and a final coat of satin varnish.

I'm quite pleased with it as it's turned out a close match to some of my coaching stock.

Also this was my first attempt at the K's Walschaerts valvegear, bit fiddly but managed it.

Not perfect I know but its good enough for me.

Now what to build next? I have a collection of more than 40 kits as my retirement plan !

Jubilee 1.jpg

• Like 14

3 hours ago, DavidStarbuck said:

To all of you that responded on my question regarding the Jubilee colour, thank you very much.

In the end I went for the Humbrol code 20 acrylic with 3 coats and a final coat of satin varnish.

I'm quite pleased with it as it's turned out a close match to some of my coaching stock.

Also this was my first attempt at the K's Walschaerts valvegear, bit fiddly but managed it.

Not perfect I know but its good enough for me.

Now what to build next? I have a collection of more than 40 kits as my retirement plan !

Jubilee 1.jpg

The main thing is the enjoyment you receive in building it

• Like 1
  • Agree 2