Railroads in a Giant Landscape

trisonic

• RMweb Premium

Spot the engine - I got it wrong at first, and had to magnify the picture to see it: 

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=442566&nseq=0

We were there last fall and rode the train. There's a picture from track level in the Eagle Book of Trains where the bridge is a mere line across.

Haven't been able to find out how much was destroyed in the fires recently -- I think a park at the top was burned.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A couple of shots taken across Kamloops Lake on Saturday. They are of CN trains on the north side of the lake, taken from above the CP line on the south side. Please don't try to blow them up - they won't stand much magnification. They were taken with a 12MP camera, hand-held.

An eastbound empty coal train:

post-1771-0-76511000-1377462634.jpg

and a westbound manifest: 

post-1771-0-79098800-1377462669.jpg

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is a pity there are no similar photos from the FEC Key West Extension but, unfortunately, it closed in 1936.

http://overseasrailroad.railfan.net/views.htm

Adrian

• Like 2

Just stumbled across this thread; some utterly stunning pictures which I've spent the last hour gazing at in wonder...but this one really does it for me - the richness and atmosphere is amazing...

David

Unbelievable photograph, amazing depth of field considering the time of day it was taken...

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

This thread is great and has some fabulous picture links.   The ones in Utah are very evocative.   They reminded me of my trip across that way in 2012 and you might be interested in this series.  All three are taken from the same spot, about 10 miles west of Lucin where the UP comes off the Great Lake and heads off towards Nevada.  We had just driven from Wells and were heading for the north of the salt L:ake and Promontory (60 miles on dirt roads much of it on the old Central pacific right of way).  We overtook a train and decided to stop and take a few pictures.  Nowhere near the quality of those above but it does give some idea of the vastness of the landscape.

post-6824-0-95548200-1403073942_thumb.jpg

post-6824-0-62308900-1403073969_thumb.jpg

post-6824-0-86415700-1403073990_thumb.jpg

The train was heading east towards Lucin.

Jamie

(Edited cause silly me put the pictures on in the wrong order)

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 5

Nice photos around. I have Danneman's book "Steel Rails Across America"

One location I enjoyed but not visited for years was Dale Junction WY, could climb the outcrop there and see all 3 tracks.

No pics posed online (Yet)

Have y’all ever laid in bed in some strange hotel in a strange city in the USA - and then heard a train coming in the distance? Still a very evocative sound today...........always makes me feel at home somehow.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Have y’all ever laid in bed in some strange hotel in a strange city in the USA - and then heard a train coming in the distance? Still a very evocative sound today...........always makes me feel at home somehow.

Best, Pete.

Having grown up across the valley from the Settle & Carlisle the sound of trains at night is always a comfort.  When I was over on a cycling tour in 2005 I booked into a motel in Greeley CO and the receptionist apologised becasue the only room she had was near the tracks and I might be disturbed in the night.  I had a great nights sleep.  The sound of the air horns in the US is particularly evovcative especially out west.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Best, Pete.

A few weeks ago we stayed at the Chrysalis Hotel near Bellingham, WA. We had a room overlooking the water and railroad. The bay window had a long cushion in it the size of a single bed. After a hard days drinking I fell asleep there at sunset waiting for trains. I eventually woke up to see a coal train go past just below with the helper at the Back making the whole room vibrate. I stayed there till the early hours when I thought that I had better make use of the bed we had paid for. Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...