Railroads in a Giant Landscape

trisonic

5 hours ago, Wendell1976 said:

Here's a 1996 picture of a Southern Pacific train in Pando, Colorado. The train is on a upward climb on Tennessee Pass. Pando is about 100 road-miles(160 road-kilometers) west of Denver.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/718794/

Wendell

Idaho, USA

Followed the climb on the other side, from Canon City to Salida on the I-50. Shame it's not in use, it would make a great extension to the Royal Gorge Route RR.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I got to Minturn in 2005 the day after my profile photo was taken at the top of Boreas pass. The mothballed line ran right past my hotel bedroom window but across the river. Down near Eagle the next day there were long lines of stored coal hoppers.  I had chickened out of going over via Leadville and Tennessee  pass a d went over Vail instead. I now wish I had gone via Tennessee.

Jamie

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JZ said:

Followed the climb on the other side, from Canon City to Salida on the I-50(U.S. Route 50). Shame it's not in use, it would make a great extension to the Royal Gorge Route RR.

Very true, JZ. This is a historic Rio Grande line that is rusted badly. However, there has been some talk about Union Pacific reopening the line. The reason why UP had closed this rail line back in the 1990's is because it had cost the railroad too much money to operate it.

Wendell

Idaho, USA

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

At present a shortline company is trying to run trains over this line and has taken UP to court to try and force them to give permission.  I can't remember the full details but I think UP opposed the plan as they stated that they had their own plans for bringing the line back into use.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

At present a shortline company is trying to run trains over this line and has taken UP to court to try and force them to give permission.  I can't remember the full details but I think UP opposed the plan as they stated that they had their own plans for bringing the line back into use.

Jamie

Are UP working to Canon City on a regular basis? There were a couple of their loco's near the old wye, when I was there in May last year.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JZ said:

Are UP working to Canon City on a regular basis? There were a couple of their loco's near the old wye, when I was there in May last year.

I don't know I'm afraid. I'm just an armchair fan on the other side of the pond. Trains Magazine news pages had the information about the possible new traffic a few months ago. 

Jamie

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a picture of a Alaska Railroad passenger train in Talkeetna, Alaska. Denali(formerly Mount McKinley) is in the background and is the tallest mountain summit in North America at 20,310 feet(6,190.488 meters) above sea level. Talkeetna is about 113 road-miles(180.8 road-kilometers) north of Anchorage.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/523406/

Wendell

Idaho, USA

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a picture of a Union Pacific Railroad train in Palisade, Nevada. The train is traversing Palisade Canyon next to the Humboldt River. This UP train is moving eastbound on former Western Pacific Railroad trackage. On the other side of the Humboldt River, the second railroad track was originally built by the Central Pacific Railroad(later the Southern Pacific Railroad). Both of these railroad tracks are now owned by the Union Pacific and are used for directional running today(westbounds on the former SP, eastbounds on the former WP). Palisade is about 260 road-miles(416 road-kilometers) east-northeast of Reno via the Interstate 80(I-80) freeway.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/676983/

Wendell

Idaho, USA

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 19/08/2020 at 10:27, PaulRhB said:

Are you keeping busy travelling around with all the COVID stuff going on Wendell? Not much opportunity to catch 4014 this year! 

Paul, I have been mostly busy with work since the start of the pandemic. The only type of traveling I have been doing in the last few months is work as a professional truck driver.

Wendell

Idaho, USA

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Wendell1976 said:

Paul, I have been mostly busy with work since the start of the pandemic. The only type of traveling I have been doing in the last few months is work as a professional truck driver.

Wendell

Idaho, USA

Hi Wendell, yeah I was wondering if it had affected you much in trucking as I didn’t know if you shipped general stuff or for an industry hit by the pandemic. :good:
Been kept busy on the railways too here. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Hi Wendell, yeah I was wondering if it had affected you much in trucking as I didn’t know if you shipped general stuff or for an industry hit by the pandemic. :good:
Been kept busy on the railways too here. 

Paul, most of the time, I deliver food items to a store, warehouse, or a distribution center from different companies. I am so glad that my trucking company wants to haul food loads because people got to have food and water to survive. The trucking industry hasn't been hit hard like the railroad industry has been here in The States.

Wendell

Idaho, USA

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

A recent visit to the National Museum of Transportation in St Louis, Missouri, yielded some interesting exhibits.  Amongst them being UP Big Boy #4006 (from total of 25 built).  The museum is housed in an old Pacific Rai!road of Missouri yard and has 70 locomotives.  Here are a couple of pictures of the Big Boy and a picture of a diesel locomotive not on display but seen from the car park so I've no idea what it is - someone on here will I'm sure know though.....IMG_0585.JPG.585125bd9a0b32bb8493e52389013220.JPGIMG_0584.JPG.fd5568e640c6c0fb4d449ed0e1c099b7.JPGIMG_0586.JPG.5fe0b457670d163e9961c2d4ac464133.JPG

• Like 9