Railroads in a Giant Landscape

trisonic

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Wendell1976 said:

Here's a 1995 picture of a BC Rail train in Lillooet, British Columbia, Canada. The train is crossing the Fraser River. Lillooet is about 157 miles(251.2 kilometers) northeast of Vancouver via British Columbia Highway 99(BC-99).

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/239039/

Wendell

Idaho, USA 

It's a lovely spot is Lillooet. Unfortunately the film I took in that area on our trip through, got ruined in the camera but it was well worth visiting.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

It is amazing to me that lines like this are not just straight....   The S curve was presumably prompted by the terrain and was cheaper to build than an embankment.

Or it was done to decrease a gradient.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Wendell1976 said:

Here's a 1988 picture of a Conrail train near Altoona, Pennsylvania. The train is traversing through the world famous Horseshoe Curve. Altoona is about 100 miles(160 kilometers) east of Pittsburgh.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/403053/

Wendell

Idaho, USA 

My knowledge of contemporary US railroads is very patchy - I didn’t know the Horseshoe was no longer a four track curve.  I’m guessing someone will tell me it was rationalised a long time ago now!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

My knowledge of contemporary US railroads is very patchy - I didn’t know the Horseshoe was no longer a four track curve.  I’m guessing someone will tell me it was rationalised a long time ago now!

It was rationalised a long time ago now ..........

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, mikjd said:

It was rationalised a long time ago now ..........

1981 apparently!  (It was one of the places featured in Kalmbach’s 1978 book: “More Railroads you can model” - when there was also still a K4 Pacific on display).  I’ve not kept up to date since - looks like I have a lot of catching up to do.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...