Railroads in a Giant Landscape

trisonic

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, roundhouse said:

This is my photo at Mojave on the Trona line taken in 2004 by the airport.

Mojave0006.JPG

I think that Trona takes over several miles into the desert.  Nice to catch a train on there.

Jamie

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Another of Mike Danneman’s from Arizona;

After a cold rain

according to the write up, the train was doubling the hill a couple of times, must have been a wait but worthwhile.

Some other great pictures on this link.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 07/04/2021 at 00:23, roundhouse said:

When I looked at that photo I thought that it was from some years ago with all that SP gray till I looked at the date it was taken.

Most of the locomotives in the Trona Railway are former Southern Pacific and Union Pacific locomotives.

Wendell

Idaho, USA 

• Informative/Useful 2

Here's a couple of beautiful pictures of the Canadian Pacific Railway train in Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada. The train is rounding Morant's Curve in both pictures. Lake Louise is near the British Columbia border; about 110 miles(176 kilometers) west of Calgary on Trans-Canada Highway 1(TCH-1).

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/281564/

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/682942/

Wendell

Idaho, USA 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Wendell1976 said:

Here's a couple of beautiful pictures of the Canadian Pacific Railway train in Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada. The train is rounding Morant's Curve in both pictures. Lake Louise is near the British Columbia border; about 110 miles(176 kilometers) west of Calgary on Trans-Canada Highway 1(TCH-1).

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/281564/

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/682942/

Wendell

Idaho, USA 

If someone modelled water to match the blue of the river in the first of those photos my guess is we’d think it was too bright! Stunning photos of a great location.  Thanks you for sharing them here, Keith

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

If someone modelled water to match the blue of the river in the first of those photos my guess is we’d think it was too bright! Stunning photos of a great location.  Thanks you for sharing them here, Keith

The curve is named after a photographer  I think.

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, Allegheny1600 said:

I hope South America is acceptable on here?

I've posted quite a few pictures of South American railways. Searching for 'Frybourg' should get you a lot of them.

• Like 2

Here's a black & white picture of a Union Pacific Railroad train in Cima, California. The train is traversing through the open Mojave Desert in the midst of Joshua trees. Cima is near the Nevada border; about 220 road-miles(352 road-kilometers) northeast of Los Angeles and about 75 miles(120 kilometers) south of Las Vegas, Nevada(both via the Interstate 15 freeway).

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/183593/

Wendell

Idaho, USA 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, JZ said:

Not unusual in Colorado at this time of year. My last trip to Colorado in late May 2019, Denver had 8 inches of snow the night before I left. Just had time to grab a thicker coat and chuck it in the suitcase.

I know, and not just in Colorado. I’ve seen falling snow in Lake Tahoe in California and been caught in significant snowfall in Crater Lake in Oregon on the same trip at the end of the month of May. And on the other hand, I’ve been in blowing snow in Utah and Arizona at the end of September.

But it happens in the UK, too. There were county cricket matches affected by snow (a couple of inches at Buxton) in June 1975, and I’ve seen at picture of a train in falling snow at Tunbridge Wells on August Bank Holiday in the early 1950s.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, pH said:

There were county cricket matches affected by snow (a couple of inches at Buxton) in June 1975

Aye, but then look at what happened that summer! :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, JZ said:

Not unusual in Colorado at this time of year. My last trip to Colorado in late May 2019, Denver had 8 inches of snow the night before I left. Just had time to grab a thicker coat and chuck it in the suitcase.

Yes I know, we were in Cheyenne  and this was the scene outside our motel

P5210753.JPG.609b58030fc9f92d80bab132d0ef10bb.JPG

So sad that my other half didn't want to go out anywhere, I just had to sit in the lobby and watch the trains, it's a hard life.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4