Railroads in a Giant Landscape

trisonic

20 hours ago, Wendell1976 said:

Here's a 1987 picture of a Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad train in Canon City, Colorado. The train is traversing the world-famous Royal Gorge next to the Arkansas River. The train only has three covered hopper cars and a caboose. Canon City is 37 miles(59.2 kilometers) west-northwest of Pueblo via U.S. Route 50(US-50).

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/469084/

Wendell

Idaho, USA 

Probably taken from the bridge. This is one I took from the bridge of the Royal Gorge Route tourist train in 2016.

IMGP4007.JPG.31447f90bb98ed89d3447b16e36e9ee1.JPG

The Royal Gorge Bridge is the highest in North America at 955 ft from deck to Arkansas river. Travelled on the train in 2019.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sadly I am now getting a 'Please disable your adblocker' full screen block visiting www.railpictures.net so I won't be visiting it anymore.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

Sadly I am now getting a 'Please disable your adblocker' full screen block visiting www.railpictures.net so I won't be visiting it anymore.

I have disabled my ad blocker on that site and I find the ads not to be obtrusive as on some other sites. Turn the ad blocker off and you may find that they don't bother you.

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 11/11/2021 at 17:45, PhilJ W said:

I have disabled my ad blocker on that site and I find the ads not to be obtrusive as on some other sites. Turn the ad blocker off and you may find that they don't bother you.

I was surprised in the last few days to see an ad for, an ad blocker!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Wendell1976 said:

Here's a picture of a New York City Transit train in the Brooklyn section of New York City. The Downtown Manhattan skyline is in the background.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/654073/

Wendell

Idaho, USA 

That looks like one heck of a grade for an adhesion railway, do you know what the grade is?

On 20/02/2022 at 04:49, PhilJ W said:

That looks like one heck of a grade for an adhesion railway, do you know what the grade is?

Good question, Phil. I couldn't find any information about what percent grade is it to/from the Smith & Ninth Streets Station. The Smith & Ninth Streets Station is 87.5 feet above ground level and is the highest rapid transit station in the world.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith–Ninth_Streets_station

Wendell

Idaho, USA 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1