Railroads in a Giant Landscape

trisonic

Really simple scenic treatment:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=510760&nseq=98

I wondered whether to post this here or in the "Easy trains to model" topic:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=510839&nseq=17

The train in that second picture is just wonderful..!! Most people's impressions in the UK of American trains are of mile-long freights with 5 locos on the point..... ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In the summer of 1968, I walked over Kicking Horse Pass and down to Field, BC. I was short of sleep, food, water and oxygen (the top of the pass is over 5300 feet), and had walked more than 20 miles in the day, all of which would have affected my judgement. However, looking at the mountains and the trees on them, I was thinking "Well, it's bigger than the Scottish Highlands, but not that much bigger". Then I saw a CPR freight crossing this slope and suddenly realised that my perception of the scale of things was way out! Freight descending the western slope of the pass, below the Spiral Tunnels:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=479035&nseq=12

Edited by pH
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

In the summer of 1968, I walked over Kicking Horse Pass and down to Field, BC. I was short of sleep, food, water and oxygen (the top of the pass is over 5300 feet), and had walked more than 20 miles in the day, all of which would have affected my judgement. However, looking at the mountains and the trees on them, I was thinking "Well, it's bigger than the Scottish Highlands, but not that much bigger". Then I saw a CPR freight crossing this slope and suddenly realised that my perception of the scale of things was way out! Freight descending the western slope of the pass, below the Spiral Tunnels:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=479035&nseq=12

That's a great picture pH.   I went over that by train in 78 and went back to Lake Louise for my honeymoon in 79 and drove round the area which is fabulous.  I agree wholeheartedly about the perception of distance in such places.  I found exactly then same cycling in Colorado and Wyoming probably due to the clear high altitude air.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

pH

We found that you could see a mountain just ahead, drive 20 miles and it would be no closer.

It's even worse on a pushbike when you think that the grain elevator on the horizon is only a couple of miles ahead and you are pedalling against a headwind.   The one that I remember though is looking across the South Park in Colorado from the top of Kenosha Pass and thinking that the far rim is about 15 miles away, more like 40.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

It's even worse on a pushbike when you think that the grain elevator on the horizon is only a couple of miles ahead and you are pedalling against a headwind.   The one that I remember though is looking across the South Park in Colorado from the top of Kenosha Pass and thinking that the far rim is about 15 miles away, more like 40.

Jamie

Much easier in Ford Mustang :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

First of all a Mamil (middle aged man in lycra) warning to all viewers of a sensitive nature)

Re the previous posts here are a few photos from my bike ride along disused lines in Colorado in this case the South Park Line over Kenosha and Boreas passes.

Looking west across South Park from the top of Kenosha.

post-6824-0-41685500-1425545775.jpg

The old railway hotel at the station area in Como.

post-6824-0-07605900-1425545791.jpg

The view from Rocky point part way up Boreas.  The track has been relaid by a historical society.

post-6824-0-18186200-1425545801.jpg

The summit of Boreas pass (11,500') viewed from the tree line at about 10,000'.

post-6824-0-03849900-1425545810.jpg

Me at the summit.

post-6824-0-64191100-1425546081.jpg

Two days later I rode down Glenwood canyon and took this one of the mid train helpers int eh depths of the canyon on a coal train.

post-6824-0-52830400-1425545820.jpg

Many happy memories of 10 years ago this year.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...