Railroads in a Giant Landscape

trisonic

That’s why I like drones used correctly! (I’m making an assumption there it’s possible the series were taken by light aircraft but I think not due to the Salt Lake photo).

Best, Pete.

I was assuming a light aircraft, Pete, because of the distance between locations and the fact that some looked pretty inaccesible. But you're right - it could have been a drone carried in a car between different places.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I have just returned from 2 weeks in the USA, driving from Denver to Las Vegas. We drove across the Rockies via Rocky Mountains National Park, Vail & Glenwood Springs to Grand Junction. The railway climbing the west slope of the Rockies to Glenwood Springs has a fearsome gradient but we saw no signs of life, nor on the line heading south through Leadville. There were however long lines of hoppers and tank wagons, apparently stored, in places, plus a long line of UP diesels at Grand Junction. At Moab we crossed the freight only line clearing the mine trailings  from Canyon Lands NP.  The biggest surprise was an electrified line and an enormous hopper in the middle of nowhere between Monument Valley & Flagstaff. According to Wikipedia it is solely used to move coal from Black Mesa to a power station near lake Powell. Again we saw no sign of life.  There was much more action at Flagstaff, a 2-8-0 plinthed at the station and a Mallet at the Arizona museum. Freight traffic was continuous, including through the night when those wonderful American hooters can be heard for miles. On the final leg along the old route 66, instead of the interstate, we passed a continual procession of freights heading east, upgrade. Often 100 plus cars with 3 locos on the front and another 2 pushing. Would like to have seen more but it was a family holiday!

Roger

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of pictures of the point in the Fraser Canyon where the CP and CN lines cross the river and also cross each other. The two lines are operated as a separated double-track route, with westbounds on the CN and eastbounds on CP.

The first one shows the head end of a CP freight travelling west on the CN tracks:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=550819&nseq=78

and one showing the DPU on the back of an eastbound CP train on CP tracks:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=550818&nseq=79

• Like 2

Hi.

On the final leg along the old route 66, instead of the interstate, we passed a continual procession of freights heading east, upgrade. Often 100 plus cars with 3 locos on the front and another 2 pushing. Would like to have seen more but it was a family holiday!

Roger

You could have seen more if you had actually stuck to I40. Where is crosses from Arizona into New Mexico  has good views around Window Rock and Gallup is interesting though I didn’t make it there last time as I had to make Santa Fe (from Flagstaff) before nightfall.

The landscape is actually visually startling - and I think I saw more volcanos (mostly extinct or dormant) than at any other place I have visited.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

pH, on 21 Oct 2015 - 05:12, said:

A couple of pictures of the point in the Fraser Canyon where the CP and CN lines cross the river and also cross each other. The two lines are operated as a separated double-track route, with westbounds on the CN and eastbounds on CP.

The first one shows the head end of a CP freight travelling west on the CN tracks:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=550819&nseq=78

and one showing the DPU on the back of an eastbound CP train on CP tracks:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=550818&nseq=79

Have you ever seen Doug Hole's HO model of the Cisco bridge? Bloody amazing.

Have you ever seen Doug Hole's HO model of the Cisco bridge? Bloody amazing.

No, I haven't. However, having Googled him, I realise I've seen several of his dioramas and I remember being impressed with them at the time.

Makes you feel cold just looking at this:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=551992&nseq=152

It is a good picture, but I take exception to calling that 'extreme blizzard conditions'. You couldn't take that picture in 'extreme blizzard conditions' because the train wouldn't be visible at that distance. That is just a quite windy day with normal drifting snow and light snowfall (you can see the hills in the background, so there really isn't a lot of snow coming down).

Adrian

Some images of 3' gauge railroad in Canada.

Kaslo and Slocan Railway - a Great Northern subsidiary. It was built to carry silver ore from the mines at Sandon, and later also Cody, to Kaslo on Kootenay Lake for transport by sternwheeler to Kuskanook, the northern terminus of the standard-gauge Bedlington and Nelson (another GN line).

It operated from 1895 to 1908, was cut back and abandoned by the GN in 1910, then taken over by a local group, sold to the CPR and parts of it re-gauged to standard by 1914 (the rest was abandoned) and finally abandoned in 1955. Provincial highway 31A is built, in part, on the right-of-way.

The first picture above is at Payne Bluff, with an 1100 foot drop immediately to the left of the train in the picture. Picture 2 is at McGuigan. Picture 3 is the bottom of the tramway from the Payne mine near Sandon. And, as you can see from the sides of the cut in picture 4, the K&S owned a narrow-gauge rotary.

• 2 weeks later...