Isle of Wight Railway Coaches

Ydna

Hello

Good to know these etches have been corrected, or are they all new items?

The flush panel sections are screwed on with raised head countersunk  screws,  these are in holes which are countersunk into the timber with the steel panel punched into the countersunk, the result is a slightly raised head which has the appearance of a rivet.

A minor detail:  The waist panel just inboard of the Guards doors is made of slate, this was unpainted on vehicles when first transferred but certainly painted over by BR green days. Presumably this was for chalking on destinations for newspapers  etc.

I will certainly be interested in 2mm versions if/when available.

Pete

Not a lot of recent action on this topic, but I have recently finished a pair of SECR brakes, one of which is pictured here. The basis of the model is a laser cut kit which I commissioned from York Model Making, plus a laser cut wooden false roof over which I laid a custom etched flexible roof. The sides are by Bill Bedford, and are very reasonably priced. Bogies are from Roxey Mouldings (Fox Heavyweight), and the buffers are from Markits, and absolute beauties they are. 

The other exciting news is the release of a set of etched kits for three SECR IOW coaches from Worsley Works (Allen Doherty). I haven't started on these yet, but the raw etches look good.  You can find the information here for ordering a set of etches from Allen:-

http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/4mm/4mm_Southern_Pregroup_SECR.htm

attachicon.gifSECR brake S4138.jpg

Chris

Alton

Hants

Hi Chris

Your colour looks good on your photo. I attach the colour of my SECR 6380 & 2447 , together with my representation of the malachite green version of LBSCR 4165 in EM gauge.

It is quite difficult using original colour photos to see the exact shades that these should be. Mine look a little dark but am heartened to read Peter's (IWCR) comments that the paint actually darkened with time.

Pete

post-11271-0-23431000-1538990116_thumb.jpg

post-11271-0-98916100-1538990128_thumb.jpg

post-11271-0-85548400-1538990147_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

They look lovely, and nicely weathered too. I haven't plucked up the courage to do that yet!

This weekend I finished a Smallbrook Studio double verandah road van. I'm sorry to say it's a rather poor kit but it's good to have some variety in the brakevan department.

Chris 

Those "red" carriages are exactly as I remember ones on the Southern. I have long had a suspicion that appearance of the red colour was highly dependent on the undercoat under it, particularly after a year or two in service. It was notable (and obvious in contemporary photos) that vehicles painted by the WR, presumably at Swindon, weathered to a much lighter colour in service - and I doubt whether the difference was due to the colour of the top coat.

They look lovely, and nicely weathered too. I haven't plucked up the courage to do that yet!

This weekend I finished a Smallbrook Studio double verandah road van. I'm sorry to say it's a rather poor kit but it's good to have some variety in the brakevan department.

Chris 

Hi Chris

You should upload a photo for us.

I have purchased 2 5 plank coal wagons and a 10t brake van from Smallbrook but haven't made a start as I need to establish whether the kit can be built to EM gauge standards. Alas I haven't been able to find out this.

I think Cambrian kits do a 5 plank which may (?) be slightly better and possible easier to convert to EM gauge.

I have a 3 sets currently completed plus a push pull set - what is the 'normal' level of sets that people have for their layout? I have set 495 to complete next. The Worsley kit trio make up 3/4 then I need to find a LBSC 6 compt. brake 3rd kit to complete but am currently searching for one. All will be in Malachite.

Is there an exact date when each of the IOW coaches were painted red? I think I remember reading that 2412 was the first in July 1950.

Pete

Those "red" carriages are exactly as I remember ones on the Southern. I have long had a suspicion that appearance of the red colour was highly dependent on the undercoat under it, particularly after a year or two in service. It was notable (and obvious in contemporary photos) that vehicles painted by the WR, presumably at Swindon, weathered to a much lighter colour in service - and I doubt whether the difference was due to the colour of the top coat.

Hi

So you think that this shade of 'red' looks realistic?

Pete

Hi Chris

You should upload a photo for us.

I have purchased 2 5 plank coal wagons and a 10t brake van from Smallbrook but haven't made a start as I need to establish whether the kit can be built to EM gauge standards. Alas I haven't been able to find out this.

I think Cambrian kits do a 5 plank which may (?) be slightly better and possible easier to convert to EM gauge.

I have a 3 sets currently completed plus a push pull set - what is the 'normal' level of sets that people have for their layout? I have set 495 to complete next. The Worsley kit trio make up 3/4 then I need to find a LBSC 6 compt. brake 3rd kit to complete but am currently searching for one. All will be in Malachite.

Is there an exact date when each of the IOW coaches were painted red? I think I remember reading that 2412 was the first in July 1950.

Pete

The chassis is a single piece of resin - highly unlikely it could be done in EM. Your coaches are lovely! I still have some way to go...

The chassis is a single piece of resin - highly unlikely it could be done in EM. Your coaches are lovely! I still have some way to go...

Here's a photo of my rather botched model!  Quality of original castings is such that I might have been better scratchbuilding!

post-18118-0-85415000-1539087353.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A couple more coaches for Merstone layout.

They look seriously good! What kit(s) have you used for the Brighton brakes?

I'm aiming to build up 6 sets for Cowes - one for each decadeish (so olive 4-wheelers, olive bogies , malachite bogies, crimson bogies, BR green bogies), with a second set in either crimson or green (or a mixture) as that's my main era. I think it'll take a long time to get there though!

They look seriously good! What kit(s) have you used for the Brighton brakes?

I'm aiming to build up 6 sets for Cowes - one for each decadeish (so olive 4-wheelers, olive bogies , malachite bogies, crimson bogies, BR green bogies), with a second set in either crimson or green (or a mixture) as that's my main era. I think it'll take a long time to get there though!

The Brighton's were Alan Gibson kits. He sold to David Geen, but I do not think that he's health is the best at present so is looking to sell his business (I am sure I have read this somewhere).

Google searching David Geen still shows the kits listed. Also I think Roxey Models do a range.

Pete

What a superb model! Where does the Class 24 fit into the story? I have that coach from a Worsley Works kit but it doesn't look as good as yours!

Chris

This is from a Worsley Works kit in 1950 livery.

It is on a friend's layout. He takes a good photo also which helps.

• 3 weeks later...

post-18118-0-31444000-1541065879_thumb.jpgI thought readers of this topic would be interested to see what I have been working on with Linny of Linny's Lasercutting. These are 1mm ply body and roof shells for LBSCR coaches, specifically the two types for which Bill Bedford supplies etched brass sides. 

There's still some checking to be done - this is the first test cut.   The plan would then be to add a card roof, thin overlays for the coach ends, plus buffers, bogies and scratchbuilt underframe. 

Not ready for production yet, but well on the way!

Chris Gardner

Alton

Hampshire

post-18118-0-20637900-1541065861_thumb.jpg

post-18118-0-20418500-1541065847_thumb.jpg

post-18118-0-08277500-1541065891_thumb.jpg

post-18118-0-00091700-1541065903_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

attachicon.gifIMG_20181031_182125266.jpgI thought readers of this topic would be interested to see what I have been working on with Linny of Linny's Lasercutting. These are 1mm ply body and roof shells for LBSCR coaches, specifically the two types for which Bill Bedford supplies etched brass sides. 

There's still some checking to be done - this is the first test cut.   The plan would then be to add a card roof, thin overlays for the coach ends, plus buffers, bogies and scratchbuilt underframe. 

Not ready for production yet, but well on the way!

Chris Gardner

Alton

Hampshire

attachicon.gifIMG_20181031_180559190_HDR.jpg

Looks very promising ! ............... can Bill Bedford not be persuaded to do etched ends to suit ?

We ar

Looks very promising ! ............... can Bill Bedford not be persuaded to do etched ends to suit ?

We are envisaging that some aspects of the ends will be thin card, cut on a Silhouette cutter or a  laser. 

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I hesitate to ask this question of a group of proficient kit builders, but...

Given the lack of RTR bogie coaches short enough to use on an island layout, has anyone considered cutting a couple of compartments out of the middle of a Bachmann SECR Birdcage?

With modifications to the underframe and a couple of pieces of plastic for strengthening, I believe the two halves could be put back together quite convincingly.

I ask this heretical question because I do not trust my ability to apply the livery to a kit! 

Has anybody tried something similar?

Yes it could be done but an expensive model to cut up (and risk getting it wrong).

It would also not be correct as these models are a later type of birdcage with a different moulding style.

The Island brakes had also lost the Birdcage and had part of the brake van flush sheeted, doing this would make a mess of the finished livery anyway.  These ran on the Island post WW2 hence correct liveries are Malachite or BR which are readily do-able, the elaborate lined SR Olive would be wrong.

I believe it has been done however and hopefully someone will post details.

Pete

On 28/05/2020 at 09:23, Peter Lord said:

I hesitate to ask this question of a group of proficient kit builders, but...

Given the lack of RTR bogie coaches short enough to use on an island layout, has anyone considered cutting a couple of compartments out of the middle of a Bachmann SECR Birdcage?

With modifications to the underframe and a couple of pieces of plastic for strengthening, I believe the two halves could be put back together quite convincingly.

I ask this heretical question because I do not trust my ability to apply the livery to a kit! 

Has anybody tried something similar?

Yep - @Bluebell Model Railway did some surgery on a Birdcage brake coach, a very effective cut and shut. 

Apologies Matt, i'm sure there are photos somewhere, but maybe you'd like to share them here too?