NIR Coaches

David Jackson

I am currently building a number of NIR Mk 2 coaches, and while side detail is easy to come by through video footage and photographs, finding roof detail and interior detail is not so easy.

If anyone has any roof or interior detail for the three catering vehicles, 546, 547 and 548, I would be very grateful for any help in that respect.

Any pics seem long gone, but these drawings may help (photocopies I kept of drawings I made for Stve Johnston, IIRC)

Many thanks for the sketches. Far more detail than I could ever have hoped for. Arrived just as the bodyshell was being finished off ready for spraying.

David

547 is in the ownership of the RPSI so you could try to get a look at roof detail perhaps at their Whitehead site or during a railtour.

RPSI have changed the interior though.

Edit for typos

Thanks for your info Colin. I am aware that 547 is still around, but the difficulty is that I am not in Ireland to obtain the details myself. I am currently working through 'youtube' looking at footage of RPSI outings to see if I can find any roof shots.

David

Jackpot Colin. I had looked at the RPSI website some time ago, but since most of the pictures show refurbishment under way, I did not pay much attention to them. However, when the pics are viewed in conjunction with the sketches from 33lima, with the exception of the bar which has been extended, the basic layout remains very much the same.

David

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As far as I recall from my time working in NIR, 548 was converted from a normal carriage to provide light catering on what was known as the "Slow Dublin"  i.e. the 09:00 ex Belfast roster which stopped at various stations.

Those were the days when there was decent catering on the Enterprise.  Not like the present arrangements.

Archived