Springs on Dean bogies what length.

The question  is as it says on the tin (Topic Title) the Russell part one book shows the 10'0" and the 8'6" both with 4'6" springs but both Blacksmith and Slaters have 4'0" springs for the 8'6" bogies.

Has anybody ever checked some of the survives (both wheel bases should be on the South Devon Railway) and the 8'6" at Didcot.

Hi All,

No problem - let me know which coaches to go and measure for you and we can post it up later in the week! Coach bogie design is not a strong point of mine... I presume the measurement you want is the of centres of the end pivots? The coach collection is here:

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/guide/coaches.html

All the best,

Castle

There is a General Arrangement Drawing of a suspension bogie in Russell's book IIRC, I'll check and see.

There should be a slight difference between the springs, as they were deliberately mismatched to avoid them having the same resonant frequency.

EDIT

From the above book, the report presented by GJC himself himself mentions 4' 6" in several places.

The drawings are printed too small for my eyes to be certain, but appear to specify 4' 6" between hanger centres.

The differences in the springs are probably in thickness or length of the lower leaves rather than overall length?

Archived