The FORGOTTEN, Forgotten Underground Stations

iL Dottore

• RMweb Gold

There are some good pictures in the Middleton Press, "East London Line" book. There is a distinct bend in the sides, just below the windows, although both top and bottom panels look essentially flat. The door reveal shows theshape well.

A Google Image Search on "f stock underground" brings up some pics, e.g.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1cliffie1/6793553060/in/gallery-35003967@N07-72157627519218905/

thanks

Dave

Here is a link to the LT museums photo archive on the subject of F stock.

http://www.ltmcollection.org/photos/results/results.html?IXsearch=f+stock&button=GO!

I acknowledge that many on here will already know chapter and verse on such matters but for those with an interest may I recommend the tracking down and purchase of a copy of "Steam to silver" by J Graeme Bruce (Capital Publishing/London Transport Executive) particularly the 1983 larger format revision of the 1970 original. This Book is often quoted in discussions on "District Dave" which suggests to me that it is one of the accepted volumes on the subject.

From these pages I can confirm that 1920 F stock with the oval cab front windows were of a single design with a waist line bend and not compatible with other stock.

RP

Thanks for the link RP. I see, looking more closely, that in some photos the curve essentially disappears, whereas in others it is quite noticeable.

Back to the drawing board regarding construction approaches, I think.

F

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

UPDATE II

The Nordwest Schweiz (almost) Finescale Group has decided against building "Royal Docks" (working title) for the their "skill development" project . However, the project has not been abandoned, but put on hold.

I'm still looking for long-distance collaborators (and Unravelled will be one of the contributors) and I still think that this could be a most unusual layout with considerable operating potential.

Will post further as things develop.

iD

• 8 months later...

I think that I am slowly descending into madness. Having decided (to the 80% level) to build my GWR layout to EM gauge, I thought that I would take a break from fine-scale and build part of Camden Lock. This build would be the entire station platform, 1 station side wall, tube tunnel mouths and very short tube tunnels. It will be built as an illuminated diorama (but with the possibility of easily turning it into a working "shuttle" type layout). And whilst I do have one EFE 1938 tube stock car, I will also be trying my hand at scratch building some period rolling stock.

This will allow me to practice building curved structures, work on my printed posters and wall designs and give me some practice on scratch building rolling stock.

Don't expect rapid progress, but I will be posting on this part of RMweb status reports every so often.

iD

"Royal Docks", favoured by Unravelled amongst others, is my next LU project - if this one turns out acceptable. I may, one day, even make progress on the GWR layout.

• RMweb Gold

I noticed this ebay item.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Card-Kit-T2-Edwardian-Tube-station-platform-tiling-Camden-Town-/221151953000?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item337daf0068

It's a card kit for the tiling at Camden Town. It might be a useful base/reference for work on Camden Lock.

They also do card tube stock kits, if you want a train quickly.

Dave

I noticed this ebay item.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Card-Kit-T2-Edwardian-Tube-station-platform-tiling-Camden-Town-/221151953000?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item337daf0068

It's a card kit for the tiling at Camden Town. It might be a useful base/reference for work on Camden Lock.

They also do card tube stock kits, if you want a train quickly.

Dave

I Have tried to tempt the good doctor with card rolling stock before, but to no avail, however that doesn't stop anyone else from having a go!!!

The trouble with using either the Camden Town or the Castle Road tiling is that there were very very few places (only one springs to mind) where Yerkes tile patterns were visible across a large bore tunnel. Most of this style were in single bore. Unfortunately the single island platform in large bore was almost exclusive to the C&SLR, and they were simply flat white tiled. The 1890 stations had some relief to the white in the way of brown floral patterned tiles in a single horizontal band about waist height. I did draw one up once, but it was so depressing, I don't think I ever released it as a kit. I'll see if I can find the artwork, and it can go on here as a PdF if anyone really want one.

Just been trawling through the backup disks and found this. See what I mean, it's not exactly exciting, but if it is of any use to anyone on here, feel free to print it off and use it. I found I was wrong in my post above, as this isn't the 1890 style, but the post 1900 as used on the Euston Extension. the pretty floral design had given way to a double line of dark brown/black (we really couldn't tell which when we were looking at them in the dark!). The name panels on 'City Road' were recessed into the tiles, and appear to have been an enamel plate bounded by a wooden frame. Wonder if any of these survived?

Anyway, here is the standard C&SLR post 1900 single bore tunnel tiling:

(17) C & S L R Post 1900.pdf

And as a fun lunchtime activity, I had a go at a potential mock up for the same style used with a single island platform. I don't think the banding was used at Angel or the Claphams, but it needs something to break the monotony of the plain white tile. The cable conduit below tiling level is done from memory, and is probably not quite right. I should stop apologising and just post the thing!!!

CSLR large bore mockup for RMWeb.pdf

Hope these may be of use somewhere...

After rebuilding, the ex-C&SLR island platform stations had black ceramic tiles up to a sufficient height to contain large advertising posters (probably 10 feet high) and were plain cream (not tiled) above that and over the top of the roof. The Underground roundel station name boards were placed at intervals immediately above the tiled area - the rationale apparently being that they could be read over the top of a train in the opposing platform.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a few ideas pop along to Acton Town this coming weekend (13/14 April). Its the LT Museum Depot modelling weekend.

I lived in Acton (Gunnersbury Lane) in the late 1950s to early 1960s and Bollo Lane and the works always fascinated me. I travelled to school in Ealing Common every day alone on the train from Acton Town. You'd never allow an 8 year-old (as I was then) to do that now! One abiding memory of the Underground was the ancient wood-panelled lifts at Earl's Court with their unnerving wobbling and rattling as they descended. Their 'stand clear of the doors' recorded announcement sounded equally ancient!

Apologies, I seem to have rambled off down memory lane...

• RMweb Gold

Staying off topic (!) at Earls Court I remember the escalators and riding on them as a lad.  Even in the 50's I thought they were pretty ancient.  It wasn't until some while later I discovered they were the first escalators in Britain.  

http://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2011/10/03/100th-anniversary-of-the-escalator-on-london-underground/

After the terrible Kings Cross fire I was surprised the meeja didn't latch on to the fact that the ones at Earls Court and Marylebone were still in service and pre-dated the ones at KX.

• RMweb Gold

After the terrible Kings Cross fire I was surprised the meeja didn't latch on to the fact that the ones at Earls Court and Marylebone were still in service and pre-dated the ones at KX.

I think the age of the escalators was less important than the build up of combustible rubbish beneath them at KX. And the meejah might have had less of a field-day if LU management had held their hand up, instead of being initially in denial about responsibility.

• RMweb Premium

I lived in Acton (Gunnersbury Lane) in the late 1950s to early 1960s and Bollo Lane and the works always fascinated me. I travelled to school in Ealing Common every day alone on the train from Acton Town. You'd never allow an 8 year-old (as I was then) to do that now! One abiding memory of the Underground was the ancient wood-panelled lifts at Earl's Court with their unnerving wobbling and rattling as they descended. Their 'stand clear of the doors' recorded announcement sounded equally ancient!

Apologies, I seem to have rambled off down memory lane...

Open day this year is 15/16 March.

• RMweb Gold

Open day this year is 15/16 March.

As another who lived in this neck of the woods, Green Dragon Lane, by Kew Bridge. Yes as modelled by the tramway guys including the water tower. Whilst it's nice to reside in Inverness these days, I do miss being able to enjoy London events as I please, and I have been tempted a number of times to come down for the Acton Open Day. (not to mention a few pints of Fuller's London Pride). However I will be at Ally Pally in a couple of weeks and just might be in the market for some Q stock Charlie...

Kevin

As another who lived in this neck of the woods, Green Dragon Lane, by Kew Bridge. Yes as modelled by the tramway guys including the water tower. Whilst it's nice to reside in Inverness these days, I do miss being able to enjoy London events as I please, and I have been tempted a number of times to come down for the Acton Open Day. (not to mention a few pints of Fuller's London Pride). However I will be at Ally Pally in a couple of weeks and just might be in the market for some Q stock Charlie...

Kevin

I'll make sure I've got some in stock. I need to look at getting some printing done this week...

• 1 year later...

A few assorted details and musings...

- there is the stub of an obsolete running tunnel branching off N of Angel, which formerly served the original route to a terminus in Upper St.

- the C&SL running tunnels branch off the Northern Line S of London Bridge, where the step plates are clearly visible. A step plate junction would be a really unusual model detail! These historic tunnels are tiny, 3.3m dia.

- the C&SL running tunnels are still extant at London Bridge, they served as construction accesses during the JLE works and now form part of the piston relief ducts - they are visible as connecting ducts in the roof of the new station platforms. There is also a historic pedestrian over-pass tunnel S of the station, and a cross-over in its own step-plate. I don't recall whether this is a scissors or a single slip, twenty-odd years later....

- Angel Station, as reconstructed, also has these although the original station didn't

- the walkway over bridge at Angel always struck me as a very characteristic feature

- some Northern Line tunnels do indeed have walkways cut through above the station platforms - Waterloo, for one

- the Northern Line are second only to the Waterloo and City as the smallest tunnels in the network. They were originally 3.63m diameter, but many have been enlarged by taking down the top plates, excavating an enlarged profile and inserting extra keys at the shoulders. This has the effect of producing a "cauliflower" shape which provides clearance for the dynamic envelope consistent with the more modern 3.85m dia running tunnels adopted later.

- from memory the new Angel platform tunnel is 12.5m or 12.75m dia but it's been twenty five years...

- interesting to see the image of E London Line. This tunnel is huge by modern standards, having been constructed as a main railway line

- I've always thought Baker St was a very distinctive design

-

Archived