The FORGOTTEN, Forgotten Underground Stations

iL Dottore

- interesting to see the image of E London Line. This tunnel is huge by modern standards, having been constructed as a main railway line

Not strictly true. The tunnel was conceived as a means of crossing the Thames for the use of pedestrians and horse-drawn carriages.  In the event, it was used only by pedestrian traffic. Such was its commodious size that a certain amount of complementary retail trade took place along its route. Its dimensions, as constructed, were greater than those required to meet any British main line railway loading gauge.

It opened to the public in 1843 and as a pedestrian tunnel, but its use for this purpose was not financially successful. The tunnel was acquired eventually by the East London Railway Company in 1865. The railway was opened to the public at the very end of 1869.

• RMweb Premium

Not strictly true. The tunnel was conceived as a means of crossing the Thames for the use of pedestrians and horse-drawn carriages.  In the event, it was used only by pedestrian traffic. Such was its commodious size that a certain amount of complementary retail trade took place along its route. Its dimensions, as constructed, were greater than those required to meet any British main line railway loading gauge.

It opened to the public in 1843 and as a pedestrian tunnel, but its use for this purpose was not financially successful. The tunnel was acquired eventually by the East London Railway Company in 1865. The railway was opened to the public at the very end of 1869.

As you are probably aware the tunnel was built by Marc Brunel, with I. K. being responsible for the day to day construction and engineering. The problem was that the costs of construction were such that no money was left to build the approach ramps for road vehicles so it was only ever opened for pedestrians.

Having looked back at the earlier posts in this topic I would suggest that Highgate H/L would be ideal for a simply diorama or layout, being located in a cutting with tunnel portals either end and an island platform. 

There's even a card kit available of the station building!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Card-Kit-1930s-Island-platform-building-4-6-/321900090619?hash=item4af2bd94fb

Having looked back at the earlier posts in this topic I would suggest that Highgate H/L would be ideal for a simply diorama or layout, being located in a cutting with tunnel portals either end and an island platform. 

There's even a card kit available of the station building!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Card-Kit-1930s-Island-platform-building-4-6-/321900090619?hash=item4af2bd94fb

I am hoping to build that actually, when i have space and money for it.

I am hoping to build that actually, when i have space and money for it.

Similar thoughts crossed my mind a while ago...but only got as far as this scribble. Further reflections lead me to believe it could be a fun project, as it breaks into two layouts for 'home' use yet can be set out as the full version in a larger space. Traffic can be more or less what you want, but for the sake of fidelity I understand there are some tube trains in N gauge now as well as the possible successors to the surface services over the Ally Pally line (missed off the plan, below, but easily included) being class 313 which are also now available in N gauge (albeit both are kits)

post-6357-0-41713400-1445984736_thumb.jpg

The more adventurous could also add a third 6' 'layout' module to the rhs as 'Tally Ho Corner' perhaps, giving us the underground emerging from the lower levels to mingle with surface services and reversing back to the depot. A 6' width is probably generous for N but for an overall 24' length an absorbing (exhibition?) layout could be the result. Food for thought.

One day, when the other projects are finished...

Best,

Marcus

As you are probably aware the tunnel was built by Marc Brunel, with I. K. being responsible for the day to day construction and engineering. The problem was that the costs of construction were such that no money was left to build the approach ramps for road vehicles so it was only ever opened for pedestrians.

I'd always understood that it was intended to be a rail tunnel, hence it size, but as you say this was not done at the time and it became a huge white elephant. From various accounts of conditions there, "complementary retail activities" seems to be a considerable euphemism....

Archived