European content in Traction?

EddieB

Having seen Richard Taylor's letter in Traction 212, might here be a good place to gauge interest in locomotive topics wider than the UK?

Personally, I'd support wider coverage (if necessary at the expense of modelling subjects) and, for example, enjoy Colin Boocock's articles where he gives context to a UK locomotive type by considering related developments overseas. 

Should Traction stop at Europe?  The current issue of Railway magazine has an excellent article on British diesels in East Africa - is this the kind of article that Traction ought to consider?

Now, I know that's not everyone's cup of tea.  So, in University Challenge tradition, here's a starter for ten (or five, as it happens).  Where should Traction draw the line?

1) UK traction only

2) European traction with a UK connection (e.g. EE shunters exported to Sweden/Holland)

3) European traction (no restrictions)

4) World traction with a UK connection (e.g. Australian EE diesels built under UK licence)

5) World traction (no restrictions)

To my knowledge most readers buy Traction because it is UK only.

Magazines that cover non-UK railways totally are in the minority and it seems to be an area where interest level fluctuates.

For me the current UK scene is quite unappealing - Class 66s and multiple units - and many enthusiasts crave the good old days when Deltics and Class 26s ruled the lines. That is arguably where Traction holds its appeal.

If Traction did dip its toe into Euro waters it would arguably need to concentrate on the main areas of interest such as Germany, France, Switzerland and Austria.

The now defunct European Railways magazine from the same stable as Traction sadly closed shop some years ago because its sales were low.

I would like to see Euro topics covered in Traction and I'd like to think they will appeal to lots of readers but I fear that might not be the case.

Kind regards,

Peter (off to Switzerland soon to see some proper classic traction!)

Hi Eddie,

Personally I would always like to see any traction at all so it would be Worldwide traction, no restrictions!

But as Peter suggests above, for the typical Brit I suspect that would be a loser.

You might be able to build enough interest if you could make it World with UK connection though.

Good luck what you decide.

John E.

PS I'd avoid doing much or anything on N. America as that is already well covered with "Trains" etc and that magazine is easily available in UK.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks for starting this thread. To my surprise all but one response to this suggestion has been positive so there MAY be some limited overseas content in TRACTION at some time in the future.

The most likely will be mainland European countries but also where there is a British connection such as those that Colin Boocock's articles have included. There won't be any American coverage (other than Irish GMs and Class 66s/67/70s) as this is clearly covered in magazines such as Trains.

Of course this will require articles writing.....

Stephen Rabone

editor TRACTION

• 1 month later...

I have usually enjoyed reading about the foreign locomotives especially when they have a british connection. However in a magazine like traction I have always felt that such articles were at the expense of uk outline material. Having said that I would like to read more providing it was pitched at the novice to the foreign scene . If nine uk connected locomotives were written about I personally would prepare those of an earlier era especially the first foray into diesel and electric traction on the continent.

Being in the 'States I buy Traction to read of UK operations either of now or the past.

However,there have been some great articles that have strayed from the UK (or indeed Europe) I'm thinking particularly of the one on Egypt - well written with some great photos. There was a connection with the UK (66 variants) but who else would have published? It was a great article, enjoyable to read and informative....

The least successful articles, in my opinion, are endless reruns of dashing around the UK simply spotting locos. They have little value unless they contain very good, useful, or unusual photos.

So keep it mostly UK but include any overseas prototypes that have a link with the UK (British Engineers, locos, etc., etc).

Best, Pete.

Archived