2mm scale Vintage Wagons.

New link in later post

Hello. This link should hopefully take you to a few bits that I've been working on. I have had a couple of the Brighton vans made, and I'm very happy with the results, although the first one had some extra material printed on the sides, running down vertically from some bolt head detail, I think Rich Brummitt describes something like this in his recent article on 3d printing for the 2mm scale assoc. mag. Shapeways refunded me for this part. I was able to change the file without compromising the model. I did have a slight problem with some bolt heads on the solebar not being large enough objects to be seen by Shapeways' system, but Mitchell from Shapeways was able to put me back on track here. The second model arrived pretty much perfect, the vertically planked doors alone having visible horizontal print lines that will need to be scraped off. Apart from that, I'd say that 80% of the model finish is to the standard of a plastic kit.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to take any decent photos of the models in their as delivered state!

Also unfortunately I've noticed that I managed to mess the planking up somehow, the top plank is too narrow, and the upper door hinges are too high up, so I'm going to have to sort that out before I go any further.

My next move after I've done that will be to put all 4 vans into 1 file and see how they all come out. This will have to wait for a week or two as I've got other stuff going on.

I'd much appreciate any feedback, comments, criticisms or questions regarding this, thanks for looking.

Eddie.

Edited by edubs

• RMweb Premium

Hi Eddie,

This is really interesting. I look forward to seeing photos, although I know the raw material is very difficult to photograph. Easier after a coat of primer.

Are you going to do any other LB&SCR stuff?  If so, I would be very interested in Stroudley era vans and open wagons. Or even Craven era?

Cheers,

Dave

Hello Dave, and thanks, I might do some variations on the Brighton van. I think Etched Pixels does a brass kit for the Stroudley roof profile van, but I think this is 1/148 scale?

Opens are a bit tricky, it seems that to be sure of printing in FUD sides would need to be pretty much 1mm thick. single plank wagons ought to be do-able though, my solebars came out fine at .5mm thick.

I might do an LBSC road vehicle truck at some point.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for that. I had forgotten the Etch Pixels Stroudley van.

I had forgotten the thickness limits for FUD might affect open wagons.  It might be possible to "fudge" it by using a 1 mm thickness for lower planks to provide strength and then taper the top plank to imply a thinner material. However, this may be tricky with round ended wagons.  Alternatively leave the thickness at 1 mm and let the builder thin it down if required.

I shall be interested in your progress and any further developments.

Cheers,

Dave

You can put a rounded top on a FUD wagon to hide the worst of the thickness (or indeed a tarpaulin ;))

The vertical lines are caused by the material that has to be printed below the bolt heads and the like to hold the material up as it is printed. For some types of model this isn't a big problem and in some cases you can avoid it by careful design of the parts (eg making some of the sticky out bits fittings that slot into a hole).

I'll be interested to see how it comes out - I'm not as yet happy with the results for externally framed wooden wagons in FUD - even for the vans the support material under angled framing tends to mark the bodyside a bit. IMHO it's definitely the long term future for wagon bodies however, and lets you more easily reproduce all kinds of depth detail you can't do nicely in etched form.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Alan,apologies for the delayed reply, I've been away.Thanks for the comments, I agree with every point.I'll be ordering some prints of the GN and SEC vans shortly, in the meantime I've got my "test pieces" to play with, I'll try and post a picture, and I need to fix my Brighton van design of the inaccuracies mentioned in my first post.Cheers, Eddie.

Edited by edubs

A couple of pics. Edit. I should say, this is the first one, which had the strips of unwanted material running down the sides, so it's been hacked about a bit.

post-2980-0-81272100-1366841479_thumb.jpg

post-2980-0-89330500-1366841534_thumb.jpg

Edited by edubs
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Gareth, 

Thanks for the comment, and apologies for the lateness of my reply, busy times at the moment, just bought a house and another child on the way. 

as you can see from my images on shapeways I have redesigned some of my models to take advantage of being able to choose the orientation of print, in order to minimise the ripple effect that occurs beneath overhanging parts of the model. Shapeways have said that they will introduce this feature sometime this year, they may have already done so.

I'll resume work on this project when I get time, and report in this thread.

Cheers,

Eddie 

• 1 year later...

I'm almost tempted to try and print one of my designs in FXD, as it's only a couple of Euros more per wagon, but still I expect that until I can choose the orientation of print, It will be pot luck as to whether I get a useable item back or not.

https://www.shapeways.com/designer/stockprint

Edited by edubs

Hello Gareth,

Hopefully, but as I have designed to be printed in a specific orientation, they come out pretty bad if not printed in that orientation. I'm not too keen to put my name to a product if I can't be sure that it's going to be any good!

Thanks for the interest though, let me know if you really want to take a chance, and I'll make them available for a while.

Cheers,

Eddie.

Hello Dave,

How are you doing? Still going ahead with that layout project then?

Ok I'll make these available then, and see how we go.

I'm not sure if Shapeways will count a print as a "fail" if it's simply not printed the way up that we would prefer though.

Please let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Eddie.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Eddie,

Many thanks - two FXD  opens and a van ordered.  I'll let you know how they turn out.

I'm still planning an LB&SCR layout, just need to get our show out of the way this weekend at NESCOT (where we're showing Hinksey Yard).

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Dave.

I've noticed that some people are having problems with existing models and FXD, seems I may have to re-upload the files before they will print.

Let me know if any problems and I'll get straight on to it.

I'll try and pop over to the show at the weekend anyway.

Cheers,

Eddie.

Hello Nick,

Thanks.

All are designed to take 2mm. Assoc. Etched W irons. Spacers on the rear of the solebars locate them correctly. These can be seen if you look at the rotating image on Shapeways and tilt the image to show the underside of the wagon.

As for springs and axleboxes, It's either a case of using or adapting the closest looking as available from the association, or making your own.

Ditto brake gear, but at least most wagons of this vintage had just one brake shoe and a simple lever on one side.

Association buffers will fit the holes in the buffer beam.

Cheers,

Eddie.