2mm scale Vintage Wagons.

Hello Nick

The only Photos I have of the SER van are in "Southern Wagons Pictorial" by Mike King. Pages 138 and 139, but these aren't brilliant, one shows an accident damaged van from some distance, the other a grounded body still with W irons in BR days. I have worked from dimensions quoted in this book.

I could do with more information on these vans myself, particularly underframe details, they don't feature in the SECR wagon book.

Cheers,

Eddie.

Hello Steve,

The SECR and GNR vans aren't really suitable for printing at Shapeways due to the amount of "overhanging" features, The wagons that are in my shop now have been designed to minimise the effect that results from the support material that Shapeways use, after much trial and error, and £s spent!

Even so, as I have mentioned before, and anyone who has used Shapeways will know, the result depends very much upon which way up the models are printed. It seems that models shaped like a box with an open top are most likely to be printed the right way up, as my current designs are, to minimise the amount of support material used, but even this is not always how Shapeways do things, as I have had models back that were obviously printed on end, perhaps to fill a smaller space on the bed of the printer.

Perhaps one day 3D printing technology will advance to the point where we don't have to worry about these issues.

Cheers,

Eddie.

Hi,

UPS have just delivered the 4 wagons I ordered. I had them printed in FUD and they have come out very well. I would go as far as to say the best print I've received to date with no real evidence of layering. I'll give them a wash in the next couple of days and a coat of primer.

Many thanks for making them available Eddie.

Gareth

Greetings,

I gave one of the LBSCR open wagons and SECR box vans a dusting of primer earlier which confirmed my initial thoughts over the quality of the print. The evidence of layering is virtually invisible which is further helped with it going the way of the planks. There really isn't any need to do any sanding. The only exception are the box vans doors which are separate, they were obviously printed in a different orientation and have suffered from layering but at least it is only a bit of sanding. 

I'll keep you posted when I get the chance to play a bit more.

Gareth

Thanks Gareth.

That can't really be helped with the SER van, as the door planking runs parallel to the hinge straps, which need to be printed vertically to avoid overhang.

Cheers,

Eddie.

SER/SECR 6246-6249. These vans don't feature in that book, I got my information from Vol.5 of that series, "Southern wagons pictorial" by Mike King.

SER/SECR 6246-6249. These vans don't feature in that book, I got my information from Vol.5 of that series, "Southern wagons pictorial" by Mike King.

Many thanks, I'll get transferring. I'm off Scout camping at the weekend but should be able to finish the bodies next week. The chassis will take longer as I can only find one set of w irons. I'm loathed to order more as I've a big stash of them somewhere in the house! 

Cheers

Gareth

Thanks Nick.

That's great news. I know It's a fair amount of money to risk on such small items, so I'm glad we've been lucky so far with the results.

Let me know if you have any further issues or queries.

Fingers crossed now as I'm expecting to hear before long how the FXD wagons came out.

Cheers,

Eddie.

not sure what Im going to do about the brake gear though.....

Yes, sorry about that, I don't think that there's much choice but a couple of strips of brass for the lever, guard and link, and a tiny bit of styrene for the brake shoe, at least there's only one shoe and lever per wagon, and the shoe was a relatively large lump of wood on the real thing.

Cheers,

Eddie.

Edit: PS. Actually, there is a simple lever and single brake shoe that are fairly close on the 2mm scale association etched underframe kit for early RCH minerals, part no. 2-326.

Edited by edubs

• RMweb Premium

Hi Eddie,

The FXD wagons have arrived and, out of the box, are the best 3D prints I've received so far from Shapeways  :imsohappy:

There seems to be very little clean up needed and the details is sharp.  Under high magnification, the details of bolts and iron work are visible and the whole gives the impression of a real wagon. There is very little evidence of layering and they have printed very well 

Here are some cruel enlargements - the translucent material is tricky to photograph (and focus on), but you can make out the details:

post-203-0-23474400-1431416255_thumb.jpg

post-203-0-96810900-1431416283_thumb.jpg

post-203-0-15029800-1431416303_thumb.jpg

post-203-0-67682900-1431416333_thumb.jpg

post-203-0-17143000-1431416410_thumb.jpg

post-203-0-86206400-1431416431_thumb.jpg

post-203-0-74443500-1431416448_thumb.jpg

Well done and many thanks for producing these.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 4

Hello Dave,

Thanks, great photos!

When I enlarge the van pics I can see it looks like it has been printed on one end, would have been even better if it was printed the "right" way up.

Even so, credit to Shapeways, much better results than when I started to experiment a couple of years ago.

I found that the plug-in door part needs a touch of fettling to sit properly.

You can probably see that the end vents and door latches will need to be represented with tiny strips of styrene, there are recesses for these to plug in to on the model.

Those opens look great. Really happy about that, I can't wait to see some finished and painted models.

I've got a Stroudley era Open type "D" in the pipeline now, and after that probably a single bolster timber truck, and a dumb-buffered POW.

Thanks very much to everyone who bought some of my wagons, Best of luck with getting them finished.

Cheers,

Eddie.

Edited by edubs