2mm scale Vintage Wagons.

Looking good Nick, I trust the W iron units and buffers went in without any issues?

What couplings will you be using? There's not a lot of room back there.

I'll get round to building (or even buying!) some of these myself at some point, but at the moment you're the trailblazer!

Cheers,

Eddie.

Hello Nick.

They look great, thanks for taking the time to share.

Running numbers (from Southern Wagons Pictorial by Mike King) between 4051-4500, 4701-7000 and 9001-50, although it seems a few of those had lower rounded ends. I used a photo of 6627 for drawing the model.

I saw that you had ordered one of the open Ds, great stuff, I look forward to seeing how you get on with that. The real thing had curved W irons, I wonder if anyone will have a crack at representing these!

I will be doing an 1864 SER 8 ton coal wagon at some point, also used for general merchandise and lasted into SR days.

Cheers,

Eddie.

Oh that's unfortunate! Which ones where you going to use? Looks like the vans had long springs.

Hi,

I was going to use the following 2mm SA components:

2-308   RCH springs and axleboxes

I have a plan "B" which consists of plundering the spares box and seeing what materialises!

Gareth

• Like 2

Hi,

The 2 open A's are now finished. I came up with a plan 'C' as no suitable springs/axelboxes appeared in my bits box and used a couple of 2mm SA 8'6" RCH wagon chassis I had available. I didn't need the solebar layers of etch so removed the springs/axleboxes and just soldered these to the W irons. Use of this chassis meant I had to trim off the locating lugs on the wagon body you'd kindly included to aid positioning of the correct W irons. The brake levers were a bit tricky as photos show the handle is located within the wagon wheelbase rather than nearer the headstock so I had to modify those that came with the etch. My coupling of choice is a modified Mathieson Models one as I use working 3 link ones for some reason I now regret al these years later!

post-6986-0-79308200-1432285806_thumb.jpg

Gareth

• Like 8

Sorry Gareth, I'm away at the moment so I missed this until now, they look fantastic! I look forward to seeing how you get on with the vans.

Cheers,

Eddie.

S&DJR 5 plank open with rounded ends now uploaded to Shapeways, unfortunately I can't seem to post a direct link at the moment. Shop link at bottom of post.

I'll be doing a few variations on this theme over the coming days.

Cheers,

Eddie.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

My order from Shapeways has just arrived. The prints look to be very good and I look forward to putting them together in the next couple of weeks. What did become clear is why Shapeways postal charges are so high, the box they come in is ridiculously large - you could have got several hundred in there not just the four I ordered!!

Jerry