2mm scale Vintage Wagons.

The last variant (for now) of MR 5 plank now uploaded to shapeways, 6 ton fully fitted open, 16ft 6 inches long, 10ft WB, 3ft 7 inch spoked wheels, 8 shoe clasp brakes, Sheet rail.

Back to some early LB&SCR next I think.

Cheers,

Eddie.

Edited by edubs
  • Like 1

Thanks Nick,

It's relatively easy to do variations on a theme once the basic design is done, so it's worth me getting as much out of each design as I can. Someone might want an MR manure wagon one day!

There will be more SER/SECR to come.

Cheers,

Eddie.

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed ... have ordered a few as a result, together with some 2mm pigeons! The LBSC Class A is of particular interest as there's a wonderful photo of Whitehaven harbour circa 1926 with one of those on the dock side.

Anything else in the piepline, Eddie?

• Like 1

Thanks Guys,

I've got a few bits in the pipeline but progress is slow at the moment due to the heat!

I'll try and get something new up before the 12th!

Cheers,

Eddie.

LB&SCR 1850 coal wagon, 4 variations of, now uploaded to Shapeways.

Apologies to those waiting on something other than this, realistically I don't have anything else far enough along that I can get it uploaded in time to catch the current free postage offer.

Hopefully Shapeways will repeat this offer at some point!

SER/SECR/SR 1864 coal/open goods to come next, followed by GNR 4 plank open and many variations of.

after that probably a couple of dumb buffered PO coal wagons.

Cheers,

Eddie.

Hi Gareth,

V1 = conventional corner plates,

V2 = conventional corner plates at one end, 4 horizontal corner straps at the other,

V3 = 4 horizontal corner straps both ends,

V4 = 3 horizontal corner straps both ends.

These wagons would probably have disappeared from traffic during the 1880s, but some may have lingered later as internals or ED wagons.

Cheers,

Eddie

PS. V1, V2 etc. are my classifications rather than the LB&SCR's.

Edited by edubs
  • Like 1

Hi Eddie,

I'm going to have to stretch things and pretend they survived into the 1890's. I'd have thought you could get away with PO liveries to keep them running later. Anyway I'll have to place another order with Shapeways. What with ordering some more wagons and a loco body from them yesterday and buying a Farish N Class today I'm going to have to hide the bank statement!

Gareth

• Like 1

I'm not certain about the withdrawal dates actually Gareth, I have read that most pre Stroudley wagons went during the '80s. Dave Searle may be able to give a more accurate date, I'm sure he'll be along at some point. Either way, it's your railway!

Cheers,

Eddie.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Eddie & Gareth,

According to Simon Turner, all these were "renewed" in the 1870's and 1880's. The renewals probably only used the metal work from the original wagons. Some running numbers would have been 1351-1500 (1851 builds), 1801-1900 (1852 builds by Wright), 1901-2100 (1852-53 builds), 2110-2350 (1853-1861 builds). The full corner plates were gradually introduced, hence the mixed metal work on v2. There is a photograph of Lewes good shed taken by Edward Reeves around 1865 with a selection of these wagons in it.

Many thanks for doing these, I have placed an order :)

Cheers,

Dave

I've sold 70 of these little beasts now. Many thanks to everyone who has bought some.

As I've said before I welcome any queries or feedback, either in this thread or via PM.

I'm also keen to see what people are doing with them, so if you can find the time please post pictures or links to pictures / blogs / threads in here.

More than half of those 70 were ordered during the current free postage offer from shapeways, so let's hope they repeat this offer again!

Cheers,

Eddie. 

Edited by edubs

Hi Eddie,

The free postage makes a big difference, basically it is an extra wagon for free! I'll end up getting more as funds permit (and free post offers).

With regard to the chassis I have found it easier to remove the locating lugs for the W irons and fit a complete 2mm SA wagon chassis in minus the sole bar overlays. I'm wondering if the W irons could feature as part of the print just requiring bearing cups to be popped in?

Brake vans may be an idea. LSWR road van, SECR etc.

Keep up the good work!

Regards

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

I only put the locating lugs for W iron units on where the prototype has an unusual wheelbase not covered by an association etch. (I think the SER van is an exception to this rule actually!) 

Unfortunately the W irons themselves are far too delicate to print at anything near to scale. My thinking is, if the Association provides a good range of parts then best to design around those.

I've been trying to stick to simple designs with clean lines to be sure of getting a decent print, I spent a good bit of money in the beginning finding out what would work and what wouldn't!

I do have a brakevan idea in the pipeline at the moment, I might just bump it up the schedule a bit.

Thanks for your support and photos of your excellent work!

Cheers

Eddie.

Edited by edubs

Hi Nick,

Again thanks for your support and feedback, much appreciated!

Cheers,

Eddie.

PS. I just got an email telling me that the LB&SCR coal wagons have passed all checks.

Unfortunately the W irons themselves are far too delicate to print at anything near to scale. My thinking is, if the Association provides a good range of parts then best to design around those.

I was forgetting they were specifically 2mm rather than N. My thinking was it would make them available to a wider audience.

PS. I just got an email telling me that the LB&SCR coal wagons have passed all checks.

They were a bit late telling you weren't they, they posted them to me this morning! Does this mean I'm a guinea pig?

Gareth

• Like 1

Hi Eddie,

The free postage makes a big difference, basically it is an extra wagon for free! I'll end up getting more as funds permit (and free post offers).

With regard to the chassis I have found it easier to remove the locating lugs for the W irons and fit a complete 2mm SA wagon chassis in minus the sole bar overlays. I'm wondering if the W irons could feature as part of the print just requiring bearing cups to be popped in?

Brake vans may be an idea. LSWR road van, SECR etc.

Keep up the good work!

Regards

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

I only put the locating lugs for W iron units on where the prototype has an unusual wheelbase not covered by an association etch. (I think the SER van is an exception to this rule actually!) 

I've been trying to stick to simple designs with clean lines to be sure of getting a decent print, I spent a good bit of money in the beginning finding out what would work and what wouldn't!

I do have a brakevan idea in the pipeline at the moment, I might just bump it up the schedule a bit.

Thanks for your support and photo's of your excellent work!

Cheers

Eddie.

Eddie & Gareth,

For my 2mm wagons, I include the solebars and headstocks within the 3D print, and put recesses in the solebars to accommodate V hangers and RCH axle box etches (2-312).  The headstocks having 0.8mm holes in them for the buffer tails.  It does mean that brake gear has to be sourced from elsewhere (usually other unused bits from other chassis kits)

As an example, my GWR outside framed brake van (from below) :

post-12089-0-92433800-1436600826_thumb.png

Ian

• Like 1

For my 2mm wagons, I include the solebars and headstocks within the 3D print, and put recesses in the solebars to accommodate V hangers and RCH axle box etches (2-312).  The headstocks having 0.8mm holes in them for the buffer tails.  It does mean that brake gear has to be sourced from elsewhere (usually other unused bits from other chassis kits)

Hi Ian,

This is pretty much exactly what Eddie has been doing with his wagons. All of the ones to date that I've built had tabs to locate Association W irons but others just have a recess to fit a 2mm SA chassis. The fact that you've gone down the same route shows it works so ignore my suggestions of printed W irons!

Gareth

• Like 1