So I'm in Paignton for a week...

cromptonnut

Anything I should consider going to see?

Already got a day tomorrow at the South Devon Railway - on a driving experience - so that's out, but are there any "worth going out for" freight services at, say, Newton Abbott? (I have had my jabs so I should be safe).

Of course we might just have to accidently be places at certain times... but at the moment the weather is dreadful so we may not be out much.

The local museum in Newton Abbot has a gallery devoted to the railways of the town. The library in the town centre has one of the finest collections of railway books around, certainly in the South West. So a couple of places to visit if it's wet.

You'll spot the preserved signal gantry as you drive into NA from Paignton too.

Dainton is a very scenic spot, though I imagine the footpaths (if they can be called that) are pretty sodden at the moment.

Teignmouth is always worth a visit. Lots of photographic possibilities there; not just the sea wall but to the west of the station and from Shaldon bridge.

I prefer anything but Tesco - in fact I hate supermarkets so usually do all our shopping as home deliveries via Ocado, but as they don't deliver down here yet we braved a real shop, and had vouchers to use up anyway so our week's shopping only came to £15.

But we may well head back to Tesco as they do a salt and pepper coated French stick which is very nommable but sadly sold out when we were there today.

Are those log trains still running by the way?

• RMweb Gold

If you walk up from Teignmouth towards Parsons Tunnel (past Sprey Point), or alternatively brave the lane down from Holcombe (on the main Teignmouth to Dawlish road) to Smugglers Cove, and walk back in the direction of Teignmouth, you may see some 'yellow plant action' next to the Up Main line, as work continues to remove the slurry that came down around Christmas. There are still speed restrictions in force on the Up and Down main lines, and the ballast there is badly clogged with red slurry, hence the speed restriction.

I'll keep an eye out to see if the Colas Rail timber train is running down to Teignbridge this week (it will either come down on Monday afternoon, arriving Newton Abbot for a run round at approx 1350 - providing the 'standard' path is being used, or a similar time on Weds afternoon) and then runs to Heathfield to run round, and then draws down to Teignbridge LC to start loading. You can get to the level crossing (from which you can view the timber loading area) via a back road that runs from Kingskerswell Kingsteignton to a point near Highweek (on the main road between Newton Abbot and Bovey Tracey). The train returns up north (via another RR in Newton Abbot) 24 hours later, but it doesn't currently run every week. I'll post again on your thread if I get wind of it running.

If you can get to the new cycleway/footpath bridge over the river just to the east of Newton Abbot station, you may be able to glimpse some 'Long Welded Rail Train action' in Hackney Yard.

No steam charters due on the main line, AFAIK, until next weekend.

Of course, if you're really brave, there's Trago Mills... one-time home of the cheap Revell enamel tinlet...

• RMweb Premium

If the weather improves (ever the optimist) then walking along the old Princetown line, or up the Redlake tramway from Ivybridge can be good. Not much left of either (more of the redlake one than the Princetown one). 

• RMweb Gold

To impress the non-railwayminded among your party, get to Cockington, just outside Torquay, where there is a lovely village, parkland to wander around, Cockington Court to inspect with its gift shops etc - and the crowning glory IMHO, The Drum pub. Thatched - and designed by Lutyens!

• RMweb Gold

To impress the non-railwayminded among your party, get to Cockington, just outside Torquay, where there is a lovely village, parkland to wander around, Cockington Court to inspect with its gift shops etc - and the crowning glory IMHO, The Drum pub. Thatched - and designed by Lutyens!

You can even take a ride on a horse and cart.A nice model shop on Hyde Road in Paignton too.

The miniature railway at Trago Mills has very nice 1/3rd size replica of a Sandy River and Rangely Lakes 2-8-0 (Maine 2' gauge) running sometimes.

Also steam powered is the paddle-steamer 'Kingswear Castle' which is back operating on the River Dart this season after an absence of many years. You can also take a ferry from Dartmouth up the Dart to Greenway House, the former summer home of Agatha Christie, which is now a NT property and has some very nice gardens.

• RMweb Gold

to Greenway House, the former summer home of Agatha Christie, which is now a NT property and has some very nice gardens.

Steam trains now also stop at Greenway halt on the Paignton/Dartmouth railway for a walk to the same property..

• RMweb Gold

are there any "worth going out for" freight services at, say, Newton Abbot?

OK, it looks like the timber train will be running down to Teignbridge on Wednesday afternoon this week, normally arrives Newton Abbot at approx 1350 and then runs round in platform 3 (allowed circa 20 mins). Then runs to Heathfield, runs round there, and hauls down to Teignbridge LC, where the train is berthed and loading starts. It generally departs 24 hrs later, running round in Newton Abbot (pfm 3 again) from 1406 - 1426, and then away to Chirk or Carlisle (depending on type of timber carried). Be careful re the timings, however, as nothing has been put in TRUST yet.

• RMweb Gold

Is the ale any good?

• RMweb Premium

Redlake can be a bit difficult to find - see attached plan:

attachicon.gifRedlake map.JPG

It is a bit of a steep climb to start with. When I did it I parked on the main road as I felt the parking was much better.

Absolutely -

Was down at Manaton last week and went to the SDR on the Wednesday with my family and old Mum - widowed 18 years ago - Old man (Ray Wood Neasden shed - see Red Panniers) used to drive L92 and referred to it as a cracking loco.  Couldn't believe my eyes as we approached Buckfastleigh station and saw L92 sitting there sizzling away.  Crew were most hospitable and friendly, even if the weather wasn't !  Face full of rain and smuts on the return from Totnes - lovely !  L92 sounded the part and thought the brakevan, 16 tonner mineral and ballast wagons painted in LT service liveries looked great.   Love the SDR. 

On the Thursday we parked at Teignmouth (after 10 am given the charges), and walked to Smugglers Holcombe Lane for a fine pub lunch at the Smugglers Inn. 

Couldn't believe the amount of landslip and mud slide referred to by Captain Kernow elsewhere above.  My two girls (7 and 4) were happily entertained by the continued willingness of drivers to give them a wave and a toot in response to their enthusiastic waving.  Restored some of my faith in human nature.

Does anyone know if the brick arched cave facing the current network rail compound at the end of Smugglers Holcombe Lane has railway origins ?

Matt Wood

Here's something perhaps making a return visit to Buckfastleigh for:

attachicon.gifDSC04223_irf.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC04224_irg.jpg

• RMweb Gold

OK, it looks like the timber train will be running down to Teignbridge on Wednesday afternoon this week, normally arrives Newton Abbot at approx 1350 and then runs round in platform 3 (allowed circa 20 mins). Then runs to Heathfield, runs round there, and hauls down to Teignbridge LC, where the train is berthed and loading starts. It generally departs 24 hrs later, running round in Newton Abbot (pfm 3 again) from 1406 - 1426, and then away to Chirk or Carlisle (depending on type of timber carried). Be careful re the timings, however, as nothing has been put in TRUST yet.

Timings for the timber train running today have now been uploaded. It gets to Newton Abbot at 1508 to run round, departs again at 1528 towards Heathfield, where it runs round again and arrives back at Teignbridge at 1605. It departs again at 1455 on Thursday, runs round in Newton Abbot from 1506 to 1526 and then departs northwards to Carlisle.

In the meantime, the loco will stable overnight in Newton Abbot, after berthing the empty timber wagons at Teignbridge this afternoon.

Got into Newton Abbott about 3pm and waited there for half an hour and sadly no sign of the train, not sure if it was running early (I saw someone leaving the platform with a video camera as we arrived) or if it was running late as everything else seemed to be running between 30 and 60 minutes late.

Never mind, another year perhaps...

Archived