When were HEA wagons last used for coal shipment?

bridgiesimon

Not a lot more to add, I am developing my 2001-2000 and something stock for a future layout and am wandering whether to expand my short rake of Farish HEA wagons in EWS livery to a full rake or to shift them on. Any help in confirming when they were replaced, especially in the South Wales/Bristol area would be greatly appreciated.

best wishes and hopeful

Simon

HEAs were still in use on domestic coal to the Smallshaws depots at Shrewsbury and Gobowen until about 2005. ISTR some of this traffic was occasionally loaded at Avonmouth although most came from Scotland. They were also used on a flow from Onllwyn to Doncaster which finished at around the same time.

Both flows usually ran via the wagonload networks in rakes of 10 or so at a time.

Simon. Be very careful with your rake. I believe there was only ONE with large EWS lettering? Not that many with small EWS lettering. Even at the end RF Red/Grey. PAle grey transrail, blue Mainline, black yellow coal sector and all over grime (who knows what livery) etc etc were more common. They never got the repaint programme that the still used MEAs got.  Cheers  Si

• Like 1

I'd say a fair percentage got the small EWS scheme, but the big EWS scheme I'll agree seems to have been a one-off (hasn't stopped Hornby from selling multiples though!) - i'd say that EWS (small logo) maroon followed by the many variants of old Railfreight red/pink/grey are probably most common, with an 'occasional' one in Mainline blue or Transrail grey...

The MEAs in maroon dominate as most of the fleet was new in that livery - plus many of the early rebodies (which included the other liveries) were converted to MFA before yet more 'new' MEA were built in EWS paint! - There's very few repaints out there on ones that were previously blue, black or grey/yellow.

Anyhow - a couple more pics of the Redcar trains to give you a flavour - the majority of the wagon shots here: http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/H/HEA-coalcoke-hoppers were taken from one of the two following trains....

66081 at York, April 2007:

66081_York_130407-L.jpg

HEA_361178_York_130407-L.jpg

60076 in Oct 2007

60076_SouthBank_051007b-L.jpg

• Like 5

Out of interest when did the HEAs lose their ladders? I assume to stop youngsters climbing in them.

Cav

From early 2002, following the death of a fitter who climbed up a TUA while it was under live OHLE.

I have been looking into the info in more depth, I am modelling in N gauge and the Graham Farish EWS livery seems to have a smaller sized print 'EWS' -

http://www.petersspares.com/images/_lib/373505d-graham-farish-46-tonne-glw-hea-hopper-wagon-ews-9014643-0-1350999354000.jpg

so am  thinking that I should be ok for those, I have 21 now so aim to develop a selection of different liveried wagons to expand the rake to a final length of around 36. I know, chickening out of going for the full 50 but my layout would never hold that many anyway (not that I have started it yet!!).

Best wishes guys

Simon

• RMweb Gold

I have been looking into the info in more depth, I am modelling in N gauge and the Graham Farish EWS livery seems to have a smaller sized print 'EWS' -

http://www.petersspares.com/images/_lib/373505d-graham-farish-46-tonne-glw-hea-hopper-wagon-ews-9014643-0-1350999354000.jpg

so am  thinking that I should be ok for those, I have 21 now so aim to develop a selection of different liveried wagons to expand the rake to a final length of around 36. I know, chickening out of going for the full 50 but my layout would never hold that many anyway (not that I have started it yet!!).

Best wishes guys

Simon

Hi Simon,

Out of the 50 in my video, 32 of them are small EWS so for your rake about 23-25 would equate to that proportion and make the rest mixed.

I will have photographed most, if not all, of the wagons too if you need photos.

hth

• 2 years later...

Would HEAs, MEAs & HAAs  ever run together ? 

You could see all three types together at Coedbach washery, near Kidwelly, and also FPA and PFA coal containers. The HAAs worked a weekly block train to Immingham, whilst the others worked domestic coal trains to Scotland and the London area, as well as shipping coal to Swansea docks.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 4 years later...
On 16/04/2013 at 14:35, Glorious NSE said:

I'd say a fair percentage got the small EWS scheme, but the big EWS scheme I'll agree seems to have been a one-off (hasn't stopped Hornby from selling multiples though!) - i'd say that EWS (small logo) maroon followed by the many variants of old Railfreight red/pink/grey are probably most common, with an 'occasional' one in Mainline blue or Transrail grey...

The MEAs in maroon dominate as most of the fleet was new in that livery - plus many of the early rebodies (which included the other liveries) were converted to MFA before yet more 'new' MEA were built in EWS paint! - There's very few repaints out there on ones that were previously blue, black or grey/yellow.

Anyhow - a couple more pics of the Redcar trains to give you a flavour - the majority of the wagon shots here: http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/H/HEA-coalcoke-hoppers were taken from one of the two following trains....

66081 at York, April 2007:

66081_York_130407-L.jpg

HEA_361178_York_130407-L.jpg

60076 in Oct 2007

60076_SouthBank_051007b-L.jpg

Great photos. It would be good to see more photos of the Wagons if you have any ?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 10/05/2020 at 00:01, Glorious NSE said:

Sorry, not been on the site for a bit - all the usable HEA images I have are online if you follow

the link quoted above. 

Great selection of Pictures Martyn. Thanks for sharing. 

Cheers

• 1 month later...
On 16/04/2013 at 16:37, Mark Saunders said:

As far as I recall the last Shipment coal for West Blyth would be mid 1980's as both Tyne Dock and Bates were built for MGR discharge, probably the same for Garston.

Mark Saunders

Fancy missing a topic like this until now.

We were using HAAs in the Blyth Area from 1983.

Trev.