GWRPhil

• RMweb Premium

One question I have. Hopefully someone reading this knows the answer.

I think it'll work but...

Is it possible to run two independent track circuits. I.e. The proposed n gauge and oo gauge off the same power bus connected to the same DCC controller as long as there are no loco number clashes and the total loco load does not exceed the rating of the controller?

Hope you can help.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil,

I'm no electrical expert but i imagine a double pole double throw switch will do the job, that way you can change between both layouts.

I like the idea of N on one side and 00 on the other, look forward to seeing it develop.

Graham.

I plan to get started soon. Once I do I'm gonna split this feed into two. This one will continue as porthcressalodge on sea (oo gauge) and I will split off sonera tmd to become Sonera Sands, Porthcressa on Sea (n gauge). Well that's the name at the moment at least may change but as I plan to make an n gauge terminus layout similar to porthcressalodge I thought a similar name might work.

Much as though I never thought it I have multiple terminus layouts. I much prefer roundly rounds with hidden fiddle yard but at the moment as I want two sepearate gauge layouts, not completely wanting to go n gauge yet, then that will have to wait.

• RMweb Premium

Made a start to the mods to the layout today. Porthcressa small shed has been removed and the cottage next to it. The fishing pond has bee moved to the sheds old location and soil put around it. I've found that fine ballast done well is a good match for soil once further work done to it

post-17016-0-23657800-1476646687_thumb.jpg

post-17016-0-69589200-1476646697_thumb.jpg

The signal box is going to move to the location here. It'll be dropped back further once I made a mod to back board

post-17016-0-09828800-1476646837_thumb.jpg

I've also ripped up the cattle dock sidings and realigned the track reading for the Alfie Michaels shed to go on. Just gotta let ballast dry and then cover with filler to create concrete base.

post-17016-0-87924000-1476646966_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have now created a topic to cover the construction of my new n gauge layout Sonera Sands.

Here's the link

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115912-sonera-sands-porthcressa-on-sea-n-gauge/

The start of the topic will document the deconstruction of sonera avenue tmd before I start on the construction on the new n gauge layout. Please pop on over and if you want follow the new layout.

Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

Phill, I'm looking forward to the new layouts, have you considered having the 00 layouts fiddle yard beneath the N gauge layout? that way it gives you more run and storage then a completely new layout above it? maybe make the N gauge one complete circuit?

I'd love to have lower level oo fiddle yard unfortunately I haven't got the space to put in helix and drop the track enough to get the oo fiddle yard below the n gauge. Would be nice though.

The eventual plan is probably to put porthcressa into storage and create another n gauge layout where porthcressa is now. It would be a roundy n gauge layout 13ft long with hidden fiddle yard that can go out on the exhibition circuit and sonera Sands will link to it via the bridge. This is a long way off yet. Probably 5-10 years.

• RMweb Gold

One question I have. Hopefully someone reading this knows the answer.

I think it'll work but...

Is it possible to run two independent track circuits. I.e. The proposed n gauge and oo gauge off the same power bus connected to the same DCC controller as long as there are no loco number clashes and the total loco load does not exceed the rating of the controller?

Hope you can help.

I'm not DCC yet but I have been reading a lot about it. Two separate tracks - definitely yes: OO and N - not sure, because I think I have reasomewhere that N usually has a lower track voltage. You would be able to use the same kit but not at the same time. Perhaps someone with greater knowledge could comment.

Paul.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not DCC yet but I have been reading a lot about it. Two separate tracks - definitely yes: OO and N - not sure, because I think I have reasomewhere that N usually has a lower track voltage. You would be able to use the same kit but not at the same time. Perhaps someone with greater knowledge could comment.

Paul.

Thanks for the input.

I think the voltages should be ok as I've modified the output voltage of my controller so that it is at an acceptable level to power both n gauge and oo.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Am thinking of breaking up porthcressa and starting afresh.

If anyone would be interested in anything on porthcressa with the exception of the laira style shed and the brewery building then please pm me with an offer for what you're interested in.

Phil

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Porthcressalodge on sea has now been completely dismantled. I have recovered all the buildings vehicles and trees possible.

It's been great to show this feed to everyone who follows it. I hope to start a new n gauge layout soon

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 14/12/2017 at 03:51, class"66" said:

Looking forward to your new layout build Phill..

So am I when I finally get to it. It’s gonna be n gauge when I do get to it. 

• GWRPhil changed the title to Porthcressa-on-Sea - A history