LNER/BR(ER) modellers - heads up!

jwealleans

There's been some discussion on my thread about these containers from UNIT Models.

Unit_models_containers.jpg

With a small amount of modification they can be readily adapted to an LNER diagram 5 container from 1929.

John Isherwood (Cambridge Custom Transfers) has posted this this morning:

Prompted by my recent purchase of A-type containers from Bachmann and Unit Models, I have now produced a new sheet of transfers for these two models to suit the BR crimson and maroon liveries :-

Sheet BL177 - BR, ex-LMS & ex-LNER A-type containers to Diagrams LMS 7 & 20; LNER 5; & BR 3/001.

Designed primarily for the A-type containers produced in 4mm. scale by Bachmann and Unit Models, this sheet of transfers will also be applicable in other scales. Yellow lettering for crimson / maroon containers; 21 sets of transfers.

2mm., 3mm., 3.5mm. &  4mm. scale price is £7.50; S scale price is £15.00; 7mm. scale price is £22.50; Gauge 1 price is £30.00.

Full details can be found at https://www.cctrans....uk/products.htm .

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I don't think I've seen mentioned previously, according to the News section of the March Railway Modeller Peco are planning to reintroduce the Parkside 4mm scale LNER Grain Van (PC13) from new tooling, as the original tooling is life expired.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, 31A said:

I don't think I've seen mentioned previously, according to the News section of the March Railway Modeller Peco are planning to reintroduce the Parkside 4mm scale LNER Grain Van (PC13) from new tooling, as the original tooling is life expired.

Excellent news for those of us of LNER persuasion, as the prototypes are lovely.  And, of course, they ventured into other companies' territory.  But I have seen various comments that these are difficult to build square, as Jaymz notes above.  I hope the new tooling has the hopper discharge section in one piece, and that the new version will be straightforward to build.  If it is, that will be a great bonus.

John Storey

Interesting comment.   Did they wander much in LNER days?  I've seen very few if any in service photographs of them before Nationalisation.

Nonetheless, pleasing news about an attractive kit which is also very useful as a basis for adaptation:

lne.jpg

v29.jpg

grainvan1_zpsa5d4df51.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

26 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Interesting comment.   Did they wander much in LNER days?  I've seen very few if any in service photographs of them before Nationalisation.

I've seen pics of them being used on Magnasite traffic out of British Periclase at British West Hartlepool in BR days.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, it's-er said:

Excellent news for those of us of LNER persuasion, as the prototypes are lovely.  And, of course, they ventured into other companies' territory.  But I have seen various comments that these are difficult to build square, as Jaymz notes above.  I hope the new tooling has the hopper discharge section in one piece, and that the new version will be straightforward to build.  If it is, that will be a great bonus.

John Storey

https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2013/06/01/13-feeling-lucky/

The original kit was challenging, two part floor and unequal length frames giving a sharpener to the build! :)

• Agree 1

Here's a bit of advance notice I spotted this morning on the Wizard Models site:

15/2/19
Wagon news – the masters for two new GCR wagon kits (diagram 19 loco coal and diagram 27 coal) have arrived. They will go for test casting next week, with a view to doing the test builds next month.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Not sure if it’s been mentioned on here before, I was talking with the proprietors of Dart Castings at last years Expo EM and it was indicated they had more LNER diagram coach etches under development to be introduced as part of the MJT range.

Not seen anything so far but would be worth keeping an eye open for any developments in this direction

• Informative/Useful 3

• 1 month later...

An opportune moment to also advise anyone who hasn't already seen it that there's a new kit for the Thompson BZ becoming available from Ian MacDonald:

I built one of his kits last year and it was excellent.  This promises to be equally good.  I understand the first batch are all spoken for, but I'm sure there will be more if enough people express interest.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

* what is the plural for Chassis....

Chassis. But pronounced chasseez.

Edited by Nile
correction
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 30/03/2019 at 06:39, jwealleans said:

For those who have rushed out to fill their boots with Slaters P7 hoppers, Mark Tatlow is producing detailing etches for them.  These look more extensive than the ones formerly available from Coopercraft:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/143460-miscellany-models/

Thanks Jonathan.

Can I also take the opportunity to mentioning the Fox Bogies too.    These were used by many of the pre-grouping LNER companies - the NER/NB/GE certainly - and they will have lingered for some time. 

These are fully sprung, with both primary springing on the axle and secondary springing on the bolster.  I can't offer axle boxes / bolster castings at present but they do work well with those provided by D&S in their kits, if you are looking for a solution to compensate/spring some of these, I would suggest these are quite a good solution - like this one indeed!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Visit to S4N at the weekend and I have one of Mark's etches at home... a report will follow on my workbench.

I was also speaking to Andrew Hartshorne, who passed on the following.  The two new GC wagons are being cast prior to a first test build.  For those who like their carriages by Thompson, sides or full kits for D 332 FK with round corners are now in stock.  Etched frames as used to repair the square cornered windows are due soon as are the corrected D 329 etches with the vents on the corridor side windows in the right places.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

15 hours ago, jwealleans said:

For anyone who has or is considering the G-Train B3 kit  - or has a B3 from another source - I've heard from Brian at 247 Developments that they now have a complete set of nameplates available for these locomotives.

We have 6 New GC Name Plates Each £6.50

GC 1164  LNER 6164/ 1495   Earl Beatty

GC 1165  LNER 6165/  1496   Valour

GC 1166  LNER 6166/  1497  Earl Haig

GC 1167  LNER 6167/  1498  Lloyd George

GC 1168  LNER 6168/  1499 Lord Stuart of Wortley

GC 1169  LNER 6169/ 1494   Lord Faringdon

47606752431_3e254bcf68_n.jpgIMG_20190414_150424 by brian mosby, on Flickr

Edited by 247 Developments
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1