LNER/BR(ER) modellers - heads up!

jwealleans

• RMweb Gold

Ran short of time but I’ve separated one of the early ones off and put it on a 51ft underframe, I don’t think I have any 60ft ones available at the moment – I don’t think any HD dynamos were fitted to the shorter underframes but it works as a proof of concept sort of thing. It’s held on by being gripped between the solebar and brake v hanger so it is a little wonky. I've not removed a stabilising bar as I don't know which way round I want this one yet as I've not built a catering coach yet (or anything else that might use a heavy duty one).

153382044_Dynamo3a.thumb.jpg.07e488d2ca1bf439571f6dff53860616.jpg

1127207695_Dynamo3b.thumb.jpg.824563b3682dd0514ffc2c37c2fa8d83.jpg

198134122_Dynamo3c.thumb.jpg.1d68e18a19d7ac0561dcb41579ec6a49.jpg

1969101373_Dynamo3d.thumb.jpg.a5c84c2471d9377ccca325d68f91c321.jpg

And a quick one of the later type.

1933657193_Dynamo3e.thumb.jpg.e5a406c3a6cebcaeb053777c3fc871db.jpg

I also found my open 3rd bodyshell (I built this quite a long time ago, and not very well hence it's not progressed) - 

1018303571_LNERBucket3.thumb.jpg.30998f7820f58f3e13482085d354b0fc.jpg

159806797_LNERBucket2.thumb.jpg.414e77664dd193a1589ee681f36e2ba3.jpg

Comparing with photos of the LNERCA open coaches at the NYMR they need lifting slightly and moved nearer the outer walls of course  - looks like mounting to a plasticard base should allow this.

Edited by Bucoops
Replace pictures
  • Like 6

• 2 months later...

Just a note about FK3D, the supplier of the above - I emailed on a Sunday asking about a different set of the GER Restaurant Car seats (for an RTO), received a reply and quotation by return and had them in my hand on Wednesday afternoon.   Outstanding service and a quality product.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

Just a note about FK3D, the supplier of the above - I emailed on a Sunday asking about a different set of the GER Restaurant Car seats (for an RTO), received a reply and quotation by return and had them in my hand on Wednesday afternoon.   Outstanding service and a quality product.

Excellent - it's on my list to get some for one of those at some point so saves me asking :) I assume it's for Bill's D18? I've been toying with asking him for a couple but I think the panelling is wrong for my era. 

11 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Excellent - it's on my list to get some for one of those at some point so saves me asking :) I assume it's for Bill's D18? I've been toying with asking him for a couple but I think the panelling is wrong for my era. 

If it's just the lower panels that need removing, it may be possible if you ask nicely. 

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, billbedford said:

Ok, I'll put you down for 2?  

I don't think I'll be ordering from the etchers until after Christmas, so they won't be ready until around the end of February. I'll try and get an updated LNER 51' frame etch in the same batch. 

Looks like only two were built but yes please for 2. And definitely the turnbuckle underframe too if possible.

• 6 months later...

Bound to happen - (just when I was going to start the second one of a pair!)

Post_10.JPG.8a10570ff044e01299eae4e3e32452b6.JPG

The NIUModels ones do look very nice though!

(Mine has a fictitious number and location.)

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone interested in North Eastern Railway and North Eastern Area model kits the following link maybe of interest:

https://ner.org.uk/model-supplies/

There are lists of models available for 4 mm and 7mm and this covers locos, carriages and wagons.

A number of people have collaborated on the compilation of these lists. The intention is to add more to them over time (especially second hand availability and the joint stock carriage kits).

If anyone spots any errors please let me know ( preferably by PM) and I’ll get the lists updated.

Jon

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 12/11/2021 at 11:36, jwealleans said:

GER D431, actually.   Also from Bill but NLA.   The panelling is wrong on this one too, but it'll fill a gap until I sort out a better match.

Please excuse the rough and ready photos but ta da :) Arrived today.

20220628_220648.thumb.jpg.72a1dce6ba746717fa84c17b2cd5d22b.jpg

With quite a bit of to and fro between Bill and myself (and Bill has been very patient with me!), Bill has produced this underframe detail. It's proven quite hard to find much info on the post-LNER conversion of the underframe, but this seems to add up from the few photos we have found. Lost 3 gas cylinders (the other 3 being connected to the adjacent kitchen car), replaced with a dynamo and single battery box, and Westinghouse brakes removed.

20220628_220531.thumb.jpg.28eb64cd095ebb4dca5d6007239ef265.jpg

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Have you got as far as thinking about bogies and buffers for your GE coach?  I've potentially got a couple to make at some point, of similar outline.  I can't find a source of GER items but thought Comet LNWR 8ft wheelbase bogies looked similar, possibly with the axle boxes modified slightly, but haven't really come up with any suitable buffers yet.

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, 31A said:

Have you got as far as thinking about bogies and buffers for your GE coach?  I've potentially got a couple to make at some point, of similar outline.  I can't find a source of GER items but thought Comet LNWR 8ft wheelbase bogies looked similar, possibly with the axle boxes modified slightly, but haven't really come up with any suitable buffers yet.

Bogies - I have been using "Roxey pseudo" (my phrase).

257520853_1-Roxeykit.thumb.jpg.3cb1d9b9d4077abfd5992e27caafe3ca.jpg

1199504810_2-Roxeybuilt-precleanup.thumb.jpg.c920581d75e3bd6388b970cd4ee4f57f.jpg 

Dave at Roxey Mouldings put it together for me - I thin it uses LBSCR overlays - not sure on the castings. Most noticable difference to me is on the overlay there are 5 rivet heads adjacent to the inner spring hangers whereas the GE bogies have 4.

Buffers - these ones I think: https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/coach-and-wagon-parts/coach-parts/4-bogies-and-underframe-parts/4-coach-buffers/4-40448

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Bogies - I have been using "Roxey pseudo" (my phrase).

257520853_1-Roxeykit.thumb.jpg.3cb1d9b9d4077abfd5992e27caafe3ca.jpg

1199504810_2-Roxeybuilt-precleanup.thumb.jpg.c920581d75e3bd6388b970cd4ee4f57f.jpg 

Dave at Roxey Mouldings put it together for me - I thin it uses LBSCR overlays - not sure on the castings. Most noticable difference to me is on the overlay there are 5 rivet heads adjacent to the inner spring hangers whereas the GE bogies have 4.

Buffers - these ones I think: https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/coach-and-wagon-parts/coach-parts/4-bogies-and-underframe-parts/4-coach-buffers/4-40448

Thank you Rich.  Those bogies do look quite suitable; perhaps I'll approach Roxey when the time comes.

The buffers look good as do the ones that Jonathan has referenced and I will probably end up using something similar, but I was really hoping to find something with a square (rectangular?) base, so far without success.

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, 31A said:

Thank you Rich.  Those bogies do look quite suitable; perhaps I'll approach Roxey when the time comes.

The buffers look good as do the ones that Jonathan has referenced and I will probably end up using something similar, but I was really hoping to find something with a square (rectangular?) base, so far without success.

Yeah the buffers are definitely a compromise. Maybe if we gang up on @davefrkhe may be able to work his wonders? 😉

• Like 1