If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Photos of Clayton Station on the Queensbury line GNR-LNER

Chris-GNR

Hello

I'm very new to using this forum so please forgive any errors i may make.

I'm involved with a project modelling Clayton Station that was part of the GNR/LNER Queensbury line in Bradford.

The era we are modelling is early 20s to late 30s.

Were having great difficulty finding photos of any era of the station & goods yard at Clayton & also research photos

for rolling stock Passenger & freight in the area.

There is a hand full of photos online & in a couple of books that we have & are aware of, so this is a plea to anyone who could guide us in the direction of any more photos or even has any in a private collection they would be happy to post on hear for us to refer to. 

Any help would be greatly received & of great use.

Kind regards

Chris.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Chris and welcome,

That sounds like a very interesting time period to model, but as you say, finding information is difficult.

There are better sections on RMweb for seeking help with prototype info. (Not everyone reads the new member posts - shocking but true!)

I would use the search facility, (located in the top right corner of the opening page), to find things here but I would also surf RMweb to see where other people have posted info requests. 

Another (successful) way to gather info is to start a thread, or blog, about your chosen layout. Frequent updates and photo's of progress are sure to attract interested parties who may (surely) have further info.

Whatever, enjoy your stay here,

Kev.

Hi Chris (and welcome),

As Kev says not everyone reads 'new member' posts. I am one such sinner, and only picked your post up through the 'also tagged' link at the bottom of another post!

Although I can't be of immediate assistance, your 'plea' strikes a chord as your time period and pre-grouping origins are similar to mine. I'm finding aspects of the research for my project based on a far more 'mainstream' prototype challenging enough so I can empathise with your plight.

I would have thought 'impoverished and hand-me-down' would have been the order of the day for the Queensbury branch in the 1920's/1930's so far as rolling stock goes! A 'link' we may have is that I am researching and hope to build one of the GN artic sets, formed up from re-cycled 6-wheel and 8-wheel stock. I've seen reference to some of these as 'West Riding Sets' so I'm wondering if they were used up your branch?

Have you ready any of Dick Hardy's books (eg 'Steam in the Blood')? He started out as an LNER apprentice in the 1940's and spent quite a bit of his early years riding (no pun intended!) out on the footplate in the Leeds/Bradford/Wakefield area (including meeting the legendary Ted Hailstone - before he was a 'legend'!). Not sure if he ever went as far as Queensbury but you never know - his writings are always full of anecdotes of such-and-such loco type.

Have you thought of starting a layout thread under 'layout topics'? It's a popular area of the forum and there's always plenty of schemes in the planning stage which people seem to enjoy reading and commenting on.

I'll keep a look out for any pics or other information and good luck with the project. It's a dramatic prototype and a fascinating era for study - something a bit 'different' which I commend you and your colleagues for.

Try Jeremy Suter who runs the Gordon Coltas Photographic Trust. He had a stand at Scale4North this weekend at Wakefield this weekend. I was looking through his West Yorkshire box for photos of Leeds Wellington and came across a few of the ex-GNR Queensbury lines, including a few of Clayton.

You an contact Jeremy at: 120 Hayhurst Avenue, Middlewich, Cheshire, CW10 0BD. Phone 01606 835708. E-mail pa.suter_at_ tiscali.co.uk . Change '_at_' to @.

Archived