Par Station & St Blazey Depot, 1980's Cornish Mainline in N scale

cornish trains jez

I've looked at Par a few times- has loads to offer and looking forward to see this develop!

Totally agree with oldlugger- is it a cjm 50?

Ian B

Hi Ian,

It is a CJM class 50. Chris Marchants work is exquisite and I had to have one of these for the layout.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

Good afternoon,

Here is a photo showing the early stages of the scratch built signal box for Par. I'm using sheets of plasticard doubled up to get the right thickness and slaters 2mm brick sheet. Microstrip will be used to make the outer window frames and then transparent plastic sheet will be used to produce the windows with the frames scored on and then filled with white paint. I haven't thought about how I will do the roof tiles yet but any suggestions would be most welcome.

post-10222-0-72434900-1366387776_thumb.jpg

The section below the windows cut into the brick sheet will be below the platform as in this photo.

post-10222-0-07259800-1366387985_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening,

The permanent way gang moved into Par today and started the long task of laying the new easitrac. Once the code 55 track was up, I noticed that the trackbed needed to be heightened so I decided to lay sheets of card, cut to size, giving me an extra 1.5mm. This brings the rail height to about 6.5mm below the platform level, which is there or thereabouts on par with 2mmFS standards.

The West bound side of the mainline has now been laid on board 2 and I anticipate finishing off the East bound side tomorrow. The original wire droppers have been re-used and I managed to carefully solder these to the underside of the rail which, once ballasted, will be totally hidden.

Here are a few pictures showing some progress. I have also mounted the current progress of the signal box into place, using bluetac, just to give an idea of how it will look.

post-10222-0-89657000-1367785557_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-48182500-1367785596_thumb.jpg

Showing the signal box in place.

post-10222-0-62773900-1367785626_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-14920000-1367785658_thumb.jpg

50030 Repulse is in charge of the Plymouth-Penzance local. Correct rake minus an extra MK1 SO.

post-10222-0-53471800-1367785685_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-66857500-1367785791_thumb.jpg

View looking West, showing the difference that 2Fs track makes compared to the code 55 in the foreground.

post-10222-0-22949300-1367785886_thumb.jpg

Is it wrong to put orange squash into a Tribute Cornish Ale branded glass!!!??!! :laugh:

post-10222-0-97559500-1367786195_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 12

I was just thinking about Par!!

not models, not really railways but I was there in my head and then this popped up :)

spooky!!! :D

Hi Mickey,

That's really spooky! Were you thinking of 37's clagging through on china clay or 66's on CDA's? Maybe a 50 on an express?

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, The permanent way gang moved into Par today and started the long task of laying the new easitrac. Once the code 55 track was up, I noticed that the trackbed needed to be heightened so I decided to lay sheets of card, cut to size, giving me an extra 1.5mm. This brings the rail height to about 6.5mm below the platform level, which is there or thereabouts on par with 2mmFS standards. The West bound side of the mainline has now been laid on board 2 and I anticipate finishing off the East bound side tomorrow. The original wire droppers have been re-used and I managed to carefully solder these to the underside of the rail which, once ballasted, will be totally hidden. Here are a few pictures showing some progress. I have also mounted the current progress of the signal box into place, using bluetac, just to give an idea of how it will look. attachicon.gifP5050011.JPG attachicon.gifP5050013.JPG Showing the signal box in place. attachicon.gifP5050014.JPG attachicon.gifP5050015.JPG 50030 Repulse is in charge of the Plymouth-Penzance local. Correct rake minus an extra MK1 SO. attachicon.gifP5050016.JPG attachicon.gifP5050017.JPG View looking West, showing the difference that 2Fs track makes compared to the code 55 in the foreground. attachicon.gifP5050019.JPG Is it wrong to put orange squash into a Tribute Cornish Ale branded glass!!!??!! :laugh: attachicon.gifP5050009.JPG Best regards, Jeremy

Some nice photos of but that last one just isn't right!

Ian

• Like 1

Good evening,

A small update today with progress on the signal box. I have one side left to produce on the Western end. Looking at the camera shots, there is a bit of tweaking to be carried out on the Eastern end but nothing a bit of careful filing can't cure! The signal box has some wood panelling to the sides which I was going to represent by scribing this onto plasticard. However this proved very tedious and didn't look that good so a sheet of embossed plasticard representing planking was purchased at yesterday's Burgess Hill Model Railway show and this has been carefully cut and glued into position on the front of the box. The result is pretty convincing and will just need painting once the main frame has been completed and window frames have been installed into place. I just need to add the planking sections to the other sides of the box.

Still plenty of work to do!!!!

Anyway, here are some progress shots.

Front of the box

post-10222-0-57888800-1368383589_thumb.jpg

Rear of the signal box

post-10222-0-27132000-1368383646_thumb.jpg

View of the front where the box will finally sit, just held into place for the time being with blue tac to give an idea of how it will look.

post-10222-0-10048500-1368383744_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon,

A small update this afternoon. I have been working on modifying and renumbering one of my 37/0's to Cornish branded loco number 37181, as she was during the mid 80's. I needed to cut down the cowlings and rebuild the buffer beam which I detailed in my blog here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/990/entry-11378-par-station-in-n-gauge-soon-to-be-2fs-a-cornish-class-37-37181/

I have now added the numebr transfers, "Lizzie the Lizard" cornish emblems and also the etched snow ploughs but there is still a bit of work to do, namely the etched roof fan and grill, buffer beam detailing, a bit of weathering using powders and a mist of acrylic matt varnish to seal the deal!

Anyway, here are a few progress shots. I hope to make some more progress on the signal box over the weekend.

post-10222-0-38533600-1369409471_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-85870400-1369409523_thumb.jpg

Head on view of the snowploughs. Jusr realised that the left hand snowplough is not quite straight so will need adjusting.The camera picks up on everything!!

post-10222-0-21072000-1369409552_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-95839800-1369409666_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-72518600-1369409746_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 11

Hi

Looking great

I know the feeling with the camera....You do your best...Stare at the end result from all angles...SPOT ON....Take a picture...Hmmmm

But great work...

Keep the updates coming

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

Another surreal moment.... Reading this whilst working Par box! The layout is looking really good mate. We 00 gauge guys can only dream of nine coach platforms, you can make a realistic stab at the proper lengths etc...

No 50s on the stoppers, but the Newquay trains start in earnest today a 9 car voyager out at Newqauy this morning, and a HST about to swing across to join the branch and wall to wall sunshine too!

• Like 1

Guest bri.s

Looking good really nice size layout for full length trains

Will be watching with interest

Brian

• Like 1

Hi Craig,

Thank you for your kind comments.

9 car voyager at Newquay. Is that a first or regular for the summer timetable?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Another surreal moment.... Reading this whilst working Par box! The layout is looking really good mate. We 00 gauge guys can only dream of nine coach platforms, you can make a realistic stab at the proper lengths etc...

No 50s on the stoppers, but the Newquay trains start in earnest today a 9 car voyager out at Newqauy this morning, and a HST about to swing across to join the branch and wall to wall sunshine too!

Looking good, I have a 37 earmarked for this conversion, got etched detail kit just need transfers, oh and some time.

Thanks mate! It really makes a difference to the 37 to do the bogie conversion, and the etched brass buffers make a difference too. I agree with the "time" thing, it's a real struggle to find any these days with our 4 week old son, but nice when I do get a little modelling time in here and there.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Craig,

Thank you for your kind comments.

9 car voyager at Newquay. Is that a first or regular for the summer timetable?

Best regards,

Jeremy

It's a regular summer working Jeremy. Only one Voyager is available for passengers. The other one must be opened up (at Plymouth??). 

• Like 1

Good evening all,

Just a small update tonight. I have been spending a bit of time here and there over the course of this week and built a bit more of the signal box. I have concentrated on the entrance end. All achieved using plastic strip of various sizes and thicknesses. The panelling is slaters embossed plastic sheet, hence the different colour, but all will get a coat of white paint to finish it off eventually, then I may attack it with my weathering powders.......depending how brave I am!! :no:

This end is nearing completion now, with just the door and steps to do, and then some plastic filler to fill in some of the small gaps and then sand smooth to finish.

Here are a couple of progress shots for now and hopefully after the weekend I will be able to post further progress.

post-10222-0-44291800-1370025675_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-30956500-1370025749_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 6