Par Station & St Blazey Depot, 1980's Cornish Mainline in N scale

cornish trains jez

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd check in just to let you know that there is some progress being made on Par. I plan to finish the canopy support structure for the island platform over the weekend.

Currently being worked on are the platforms themselves. The card that I had used for these had sagged in the middle a little so this was ripped up and a substantial amount of card supports added in and a new card platform laid over the top. On top of this I am starting to lay 0.5mm thick strips of plasticard which have been scribed and fixed into place to represent the flagstone edging to the platform. I am currently working on the slabs which were still in evidence on the island platform during the 80's. Again, strips of plasticard which have been scribed have been used to represent this and 0.5mm plasticard sheet will be fixed into place to represent the rest of the concreted area (or tarmac).

On the rolling stock front, the PRA wagon now has a chassis and will soon be ready for painting.

Photos to follow after the weekend.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy, if I read this right you are planning to use 0.5 mm strips along the edges and then infill with 0.5 mm sheet.

Why not use a single 0.5 mm sheet to cover the whole width then just scribe the edges of that where needed?

Alternatively, if you are looking for a tarmac finish then lay your edge strips and infill with fine grade emery paper. If you rub two sheets face to face a few times you will get a very nice finish. This is not my idea; it was suggested to me by Graham Plowman, another BRMA member in the Sydney area.

Jeremy, if I read this right you are planning to use 0.5 mm strips along the edges and then infill with 0.5 mm sheet.

Why not use a single 0.5 mm sheet to cover the whole width then just scribe the edges of that where needed?

Alternatively, if you are looking for a tarmac finish then lay your edge strips and infill with fine grade emery paper. If you rub two sheets face to face a few times you will get a very nice finish. This is not my idea; it was suggested to me by Graham Plowman, another BRMA member in the Sydney area.

Hi,

I hadn't thought of the sandpaper to represent the tarmac. I may experiment with this and see how it goes. In terms of the flagstones and slabs, I have already bought the plastic strip and much of it has already been cut, scribed and is ready to lay, so I'll see how it goes. I agree though that the plastic sheet scribed would have been far quicker and easier but there was something about laying the strip to get the slabs all the same width.

Hope fully I'll get some photos of this onto the thread over the next day or so. I need to keep the momentum going now as next May will be upon me before I know it.

My class 117 etched sides should be with me at some point this month and I'm looking forward to getting this on the layout once built and sprayed.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Good evening,

Just a little update tonight to show things are progressing, albeit a little slowly.

Here are a couple of photos showing my progress with my strips of scribed plastic representing the slabs that were still evident in the 80's. It just needs a little sanding down to smoothen the surface off a little but the bumpy effect should look fairly realistic once painted. I have also done the same with flagstone edging, again a strip of scribed plasticard.

post-10222-0-14409800-1401819531_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-79179000-1401819617_thumb.jpg

Overall view:

post-10222-0-12209200-1401819638_thumb.jpg

Here is one of the 3D printed lamps, planted into position on the new platform surface, that Cav kindly designed for me.

post-10222-0-09765000-1401819781_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-62084600-1401820030_thumb.jpg

The PRA wagon on its Peco chassis.

post-10222-0-33710700-1401819996_thumb.jpg

More to follow soon!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 8

My word you are a glutton for punishment with those flags. I would have used flagstone platicard but Im lazy! Looking good mate. I wont be following suit with the small sett type blocks on the entrance end of my station. Embossed plasticard for me I reckon. The lamps look good.

Thanks guys! I've now completed a whole section and added the plastic sheet to the other side of the paving slabs. I'll get a picture before heading off to work tomorrow and upload it during the morning.

I must get some more track work done over the weekend.

Best regards,

Jeremy

It'll be worth it once it's painted. The variation you get from doing these things by hand really is a cut above what you get from the repeating patterns of plasticard.

Mike

Cheers Mike. It is painstakingly long, but as you say, well worth the effort. I may need to experiment with some colours on a scrap piece of plasticard to get the variations before I move onto the platforms. From looking at photos the slabs seemed to be all different variations of a concrete / grey colour so I'm thinking of painting one or two then slightly varying the shade, painting a few more, and then creating some washes to blend them together. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Jeremy

A method I used to use quite often was to make slabs out of cereal packet glued down randomly with either the shiny or matt sides up once painted the difference in surface finish translates into a slight variation in colour/texture even when all painted the same colour. Always looked very effective. Sticking on individual slabs/tiles in N is a mammoth job though.

• Like 1

Jeremy

I would start by painting the ones that you want to be darker and then buff the colour away a little with some fine grit wet and dry. Then you can move onto the next colour - keeping the paint fairly thin so that the previous layer shines through. You can go back to the darker colours and build up more layers as you go to get the best variation.

You also need to have a think about what you want to do with the joints. Probably a darkish colour washed all over and then wiped clean right at the start.

Mike

I've used the Metcalfe slabs before but yours look much better. I did find placing all the slabs oddly therapeutic though.

really liking how it's all coming together. amazing what you can achieve in 2mm, both in terms of use of space and the standard of modelling possible at such a small scale.

I've used the Metcalfe slabs before but yours look much better. I did find placing all the slabs oddly therapeutic though.

really liking how it's all coming together. amazing what you can achieve in 2mm, both in terms of use of space and the standard of modelling possible at such a small scale.

There is still so much detail that you can include in 2mm scale. I think it's a case of "how far do you want to go with the detailing"? Also, the new retooled locos and new additions from the mainstream manufacturers are just as good, if not better, than the 4mm scale versions which makes 2mm/N scale a very desirable gauge to model in.

Tis all looking nice Jeremy - I have great respect for your enthusiasm to lay individual slabs in 2mm scale.
Your platforms look Awesome so far :sungum: DMU in the platform there, should look spot on.

Cheers, Reece

Tis all looking nice Jeremy - I have great respect for your enthusiasm to lay individual slabs in 2mm scale.

Your platforms look Awesome so far :sungum: DMU in the platform there, should look spot on.

Cheers, Reece

Thanks Reece. I'll have to take a photo with a DMU once the slabs are finished on the island platform and post it on this thread.

Looking fantastic Jeremy.

I have a link to post here in a sec. Cornwall Railway Society's page, scroll down about half way and there are a few new photos appearing of par from the late 80's.

(Having technical issues)

Jack

Good evening,

A little more progress to show on my slabbing! A bit more was scribed and laid last night and here are a few pictures to show what has been done. The area next to the signal box has been completed and just needs a bit of filler to finish off and the area where the canopy will be has been started.

I hope to get a bit more done tonight but with a 1 year old who has decided to boycott his bedtime it could be tricky!!

Overall view:

post-10222-0-55208600-1402426659_thumb.jpg

Close up of signal box area:

post-10222-0-84641400-1402426692_thumb.jpg

This is the start of the canopy area:

post-10222-0-55259200-1402426747_thumb.jpg

More to follow hopefully.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 8