Par Station & St Blazey Depot, 1980's Cornish Mainline in N scale

cornish trains jez

While the glue on the first section of windows dries I've started on some more ballasting. This time I've been very sparing with the ballast and I think it may pay off. I'll check it in the morning once dry and see how it looks. I may also weather the rail sides a lighter rust colour just to tone it all down a bit.

Well it was definitely worth the effort with the ballasting. Less is definitely more! I'm pleased with the result so will continue like this.

I've also started filling in the voids between the access road from mainline to the Newquay bay platform. This will be sanded smooth and painted grey, then some appropriate scatters will be laid over the top.

post-10222-0-96345900-1414955655_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 6

Hi Jeremy,

I've just spent a while reading this thread and have to say.

Wow some great modelling and very inspiring. Love the China clay wagons.

Keep up the good work

Phil

Thanks Phil. It's been a long journey to get to the present state of the layout and I feel now that I'm making more progress than ever. Thanks for looking in and please keep on following the thread.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Looking great as I look this morning through the windows of, erm Par box! Just a quick observation, it's difficult to see from the picture,  but Liner siding is a tad wider from the Up Through Siding than you appear to have it mate. It makes quite a difference especially when viewed from Royal Bridge.

It's very subtle - but these things make a fine layout outstanding!!

Looking great as I look this morning through the windows of, erm Par box! Just a quick observation, it's difficult to see from the picture,  but Liner siding is a tad wider from the Up Through Siding than you appear to have it mate. It makes quite a difference especially when viewed from Royal Bridge.

It's very subtle - but these things make a fine layout outstanding!!

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering whether it was wide enough. I'll adjust it later.

I've made some more progress on the windows and have just the rear ones to fit now, then I will mask off the brickwork and spray the whole model model white. I think it will be much easier to paint the etches this way than trying to paint it by hand with a brush.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Good evening,

It's been a while and progress on Par has come to a stand still since my last update, lots of other elements getting in the way of any modelling. However, this afternoon, the soldering iron came out and I decided to have a go at my replacement 2FS society chassis for my Farish VBA van. Here are a few photos of the initial stages of the build. As you can see, it looks a hundred times better than the original already!

post-10222-0-98271400-1420051302_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-97378400-1420051238_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-32933400-1420051265_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-09808400-1420051285_thumb.jpg

May I take this opportunity to wish everyone a Happy New Year!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 8

Good evening,

A couple more photos showing further progress on the VBA chassis. I spent a couple of hours last night fitting the wheel bearings, cross ribs in the underside, and the buffer beams ends.

Here are a few more photos.

post-10222-0-63457700-1420317293_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-68838800-1420317309_thumb.jpg

And with Tre Pol and Pen at the helm.

post-10222-0-35065600-1420317327_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Or does the 37 need lowering?

Possibly...which is why the raising the bogies solution is only a short term fix...better to get all the rolling stock at the same datum perhaps...

• Like 1

Hi Jeremy

The chassis looks good, but it looks to be riding a little low if comparing roof and bufferbeam heights with adjacent vehicles - does it need larger wheels?  Or is it an optical illusion?

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

I think I will change the wheel sets for some 6mm ones. This should add some height to the van and bring it true to scale. The 37's buffers sit high anyway unless I lower the body, however on this one I have raised the bogies.

Another shot of the van.

post-10222-0-55775200-1420376331_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

You also have to take into account that the chassis is a 2mm kit (1:150 scale) whereas the 37 is a 1:148 scale model. Not a fat lot of difference as the buffer centre height of 3.5ft works out at approx 7mm for 2mm scale and 7.2mm for N (1:148). Certainly not what we are seeing here. It may be worth sticking a tape measure on them and see which is nearer the correct figure (Jez are you building 2mm scale with large stock or british N scale on 2mm track?, I personally build to 2mm scale for scenics as its easier (lazier?) to just multiply the buildings etc size in feet by 2 in my head than do 2.06mm for N, maybe I should be more stringent or is life too short?). I never felt my 37s looked high compaired to my other stock but I may well be wrong. The VBA has a slightly lower roof than a loco in any case but not a low as can be seen there, and the buffer bean is clearly very low. To me those wheels look very small. I would have thought 6mm wheels would have been the correct ones anyway on that wagon.

Also a side note which has bothered me previously. The railfreight 37 seems to have its ploughs painted a slightly different shade of yellow to the bodywork. Stands out to me. Would it be a quick fix to lick em with the correct colour on a brush, just for me! Haha.

Also a side note which has bothered me previously. The railfreight 37 seems to have its ploughs painted a slightly different shade of yellow to the bodywork. Stands out to me. Would it be a quick fix to lick em with the correct colour on a brush, just for me! Haha.

Those snowploughs have been annoying me for a while but my plan was to weather them up a little in the hope that the different shade of yellow wasn't noticeable!

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I used the N gauge wheels for mine which I think are 6mm diameter and the height of the buffers seem ok with other stock. I'm not sure but I think the chassis is actually to 1/148 not 1/152 to fit the bodies otherwise they would be a little short.

Cheers

Paul