Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

That's not bad acceleration in the last vid - was your microphone getting buffeted by the air displaced by the tall empty wagon ends?

yes it was, some of those wagons have had air holes cut into the ends to reduce drag when empty

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

yes it was, some of those wagons have had air holes cut into the ends to reduce drag when empty

The holes are then partially covered with steel strips to prevent the load shifting through them, but over zealous loading has mashed a few since. The ex-Rover KSA's at the front look particularly mangled, with a huge section missing out of the middle upper.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Jim, Great thread...Glad it's working out for you at Colas...Been a while since I've posted on here but here's a few snaps of the 'old gal' last week...Shame I missed you driving her on Friday....

Regards

D421

post-17396-0-95959300-1367701023_thumb.jpg

post-17396-0-99509100-1367701026_thumb.jpg

post-17396-0-90925800-1367701036_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

spent the evening refreshing crewe to chester and crewe to shrewsbury to work a train over it tomorrow night, the line between crewe and shrewsbury has been resignalled using those wierd looking LED head signals which should have been comissioned back in december but for whatever reason its not been bought into use and the old AB system has been retained!

the last train i worked over there was conducting a WSMR set while i was with chiltern back in 2010, nothing has changed since then though

next week i'm starting to route learn shrewsbury to newport (i already know as far as craven arms) as well as refreshing nottingham amongst other places and working a train from carlisle, now thats what i call varied!!

• Like 6

spent the evening refreshing crewe to chester and crewe to shrewsbury to work a train over it tomorrow night, the line between crewe and shrewsbury has been resignalled using those wierd looking LED head signals which should have been comissioned back in december but for whatever reason its not been bought into use and the old AB system has been retained!

the last train i worked over there was conducting a WSMR set while i was with chiltern back in 2010, nothing has changed since then though

next week i'm starting to route learn shrewsbury to newport (i already know as far as craven arms) as well as refreshing nottingham amongst other places and working a train from carlisle, now thats what i call varied!!

Will you still be on 6J37 at least until Saturday anyway? As I will probably be filming it at Warrington again on Saturday, and do you know what engine it will be as I'm desperate to get one and it would also be nice to meet you...

• RMweb Gold

May your trips through Dinmore Tunnel not involve more than one train (and if there is one in the opposite direction while you're passing through it you might find out why I said that although I'm sure you're fancy diseasals are well draught proofed, I hope).

• Like 2

Im on it friday evening, it should be 66850 again

Shame, really want to get a grid on the logs, What days do you work it? May go down on friday and say hi and maybe get some horns

• RMweb Premium

worked the teigngrace last night from shrewsbury to chirk via crewe and chester, got a few piccies before i left shrewsbury and a couple en route, got a new camera so was playing about with it to see if i could get any night time shots, took me a while to work it out but got a couple of good ones (in my opinion) in the end, forgot my tripod though, will try andg][/url]

so there we go, think i should be able to master the camera with time!!

Great Photos Jim :O

• Like 1

Jim, Nice photos!

Be careful with the tripod. On some camera's using one turns off certain software in the camera to do with Anti-Shake. I found with my Canon that taking a photo of the Moon (try it) at full zoom was clearer without the tripod! Sounds nuts, doesn't it?

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

Can't believe you didn't use a tripod on those night shots Jim...You've one steady hand!!!!!!!....Ones of the lonesome Grid at Chirk have plenty of atmosphere...Great mate

Regards

D421

Here's Jim in action last night working the 6J37 Carlisle - Chirk Kronospan with a very loud 3 tone! Thanks for the horns and it was good to meet you! Sorry about the iffy tripod at the start it was being a pain but I'm more than happy with it! Filmed in 1080p HD at Warrington by Swifty11Productions (link in signature)

Thanks,

Tom.

• Like 15