Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

just a couple from last night, didn't get any night shots as the train was fuelled and recoupled by the time it got dark

DSCF3312.jpg

waiting for the passenger to pass and get to gobowen before releasing the frame

Edited by big jim
  • Like 12

Great shots again Jim...Love the second one.........

Shot the Baglan - Chirk today...Golden globe didn't quite play ball but pleased with the shot none the less....( Rain kept off!!!!!)

Enjoy Jim.....

D421

post-17396-0-20894700-1368310944_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

nice shot, i'm hoping it was fuelled on saturday as i've got to take it to newport tomorrow morning (work it to shrewsbury then route learn the rest) and i dont fancy having to book on an hour early to fill it up!

nice shot, i'm hoping it was fuelled on saturday as i've got to take it to newport tomorrow morning (work it to shrewsbury then route learn the rest) and i dont fancy having to book on an hour early to fill it up!

Hi Jim

Is the Baglan running tomorrow then, I'm working days in Port Talbot Panel so I will have to try and remember the camera.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the only person on here who can work Realtime Trains :scratchhead:  (do 'they' still issue WTTs and train notices - I presume so because otherwise the info wouldn't be in a system and thus wouldn't be on the Realtime site?).

Anyway here are tomorrow's times for the Chirk - Baglan Bay train

post-6859-0-92132700-1368368595_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Another trip to newport today, drove it all the way this time, its not a bad little run, shouldn't take too long to learn, no complex trackwork really, a few potential traps such as the signal 2 lines across from the mainline in abergfenni that applies to you!

Waiting in chirk for the shunter to let me know the frame was shut, train was complete and ready to go

null-123.jpg

Had a bit of trouble with the headlight, it is actually lit in that picture, it went out completly between shrewsbury and craven arms but a good fiddle with the switch made it come back on

No pics in newport as i had 3 mins til my train home, had it looked like i was going to miss it i would have stayed on to cardiff for the ride

Edited by big jim
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the only person on here who can work Realtime Trains :scratchhead:  (do 'they' still issue WTTs and train notices - I presume so because otherwise the info wouldn't be in a system and thus wouldn't be on the Realtime site?).

attachicon.gif07.13 Chirk 13.05.13.jpg

I've also thought to myself the same thing it's very handy once you get to know what your doing and handy to keep an eye on charters and freights !!

• RMweb Gold

Another trip to newport today, drove it all the way this time, its not a bad little run, shouldn't take too long to learn, no complex trackwork really, a few potential traps such as the signal 2 lines across from the mainline in abergfenni that applies to you!

Perhaps you and the lads can sing along as you work the Baglan Jim ?

• RMweb Premium

Darn useful little toy, use it daily for checking out my commute and trying to keep track of some of the charters through York during the week. Since it gives WTT times I find it quite revealing on the variations to public timetable published data as well.

Darn useful little toy, use it daily for checking out my commute and trying to keep track of some of the charters through York during the week. Since it gives WTT times I find it quite revealing on the variations to public timetable published data as well.

Phew.......I'm sure The Stationmaster will be relieved to find he is not the only one to know how to use Realtime trains. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Hi Stationmaster

Looks like what we have on Trust, interesting thogh it shows DGL for Port Talblot, but, if we put him in there he would lose time and then questions would be asked we just run him down the main. never come across realtime before, can it tell you if the train is running on a particular day or just booked to run?

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stationmaster

Looks like what we have on Trust, interesting thogh it shows DGL for Port Talblot, but, if we put him in there he would lose time and then questions would be asked we just run him down the main. never come across realtime before, can it tell you if the train is running on a particular day or just booked to run?

Ian

Only booked - if you do a 24 hour for PT for example it will show all the paths, even the "just in case" ones.

The times update when things start to move (or sometimes the canned reason will appear if the train doesn't run)

• Like 1

Realtime trains; very useful tool for checking out unadvertised connections at stations but the best use I've come across for it is beating the mad rush for a train at Euston.

The big platform display won't tell you what platform your train departs from until it's ready to board. If you have lots of luggage or kids etc, as soon as the listed platform comes up everyone stampedes across the concourse to get the best seats. Realtime will give you a heads up so you can go to the right platform entrance to get to the front of the queue for the best seats!

Anyway back on topic, here's a quick snap of the logs at Chester. I got to work about 1 minute too late to get across to the right side for the sun. Would have been better off  from plat 3 rather than 4.

post-7179-0-67568100-1368467744_thumb.jpg

JF

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

a days road refreshing today, basically going over my old fastline routes around the east midlands

started by making my way down to birmingham to get a train over to leicester, called in at moor st en route to see what was going on and it turned out they had a move planned from brush in loughborough to doncaster so i spoke to chiltern control who in a rare bit of cross company co-operation said it was ok for me to travel on it (with a chiltern driver and west coast conductor) to refresh the route, and i also used it as an opportunity to have a look at coming off brush for future reference (plus chiltern know they may have me available to move 67s from loughborough for them now!!)

made my way over to loughborough where 67012 awaited with a Mk3 and DVT, apparently they had had trouble with it the night before with an air problem, anyway the driver got t started up and sure enough we couldn't get the brake to build up on it, had a play about and eventually got it to build up and the loco could take power etc but from the DVT as the traction interlock wasn't coming off so we couldn't get it to take power, after a while we admitted defeat and gave up and shut it down which was annoying as i had trouble shooted the air leak but was flumoxed by the interlock, especially as i'd isolated what needed to be and still nothing

null-124.jpg

then i remembered i don't work for chiltern anymore so after heading off in separate ways to the other 2 guys i continued on my way to nottingham.............

couple of trains came through express while i was waiting

nice HST (which i will be seeing more of later)

DSCF3446.jpg

DSCF3447.jpg

DSCF3448.jpg

DSCF3452.jpg

very impressive new bridge in loughborough and the platform is a lot longer than the last time i drove through there

DSCF3449.jpg

and so onto a meridien to nottingham, no pics as camera is away in the cab, but here is the train on arrival into nottingham

DSCF3455.jpg

nottingham looking south, currently underthe control of trent box but very soon to be under the east midlands SCC in derby, one thing i did notice coming in was the line from lenton south Jn across to lenton west jn has been singled with a single lead from the (current) goods line which i think may become the slow under the new arrangments, need to see the yellow peril for the area asap!

DSCF3456.jpg

at this point i was going to head over to derby but i though, hmmmmm HST in the other platform heading south (the one that passed through loughborough earlier) so i went over and spoke to the driver who let me travel back to leicester with him, again no pics but here it is on arrival in leicester

DSCF3458.jpg

DSCF3459.jpg

DSCF3460.jpg

DSCF3461.jpg

from here i was going to get an XC over to nuneaton and head home, possibly using my virgin cab pass from nuneaton to refresh the WCML to stafford but i sat waiting on the platform for the train to appear before 3 minutes after departure realising that it had already left from the other side!

i decided that a trip back to derby would be in order and get a train back to crewe from there, got a few shots while waiting, by now it was bucketing down

DSCF3463.jpg

DSCF3464.jpg

DSCF3468.jpg

got a meridian back to derby, again no pics before catching a 158 back to crewe, what should have been a nice easy day refreshing, due to the unschduled trip into brush, ended up as being a 10 hour jaunt around the east midlands but at least i got what i wanted done

tomorrow is the teigngrace chirk to shrewsbury and road learn as far as hereford (as it doesn't run into newport) although i am very trempted to stay on as far as bristol temple meads to sample the severn tunnel on a 56!!

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

This isn't a job, it's a jolly round the Midlands...

i do wonder sometimes!

joking apart, i do take the job seriously, when i road learn/refresh i do it properly, the end of the day its my job on the line if i don't and have an incident but it is nice to have the opportunity to get pics while about, record the everyday stuff after all some of my fastline picture locations are history now such as daw mill and roberts road depot, things you would have thought at the time would have always been there!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Are you on the Carlisle run again this week?

Cheers,

Mick

no not this week, should have been bringing a set from carlisle on friday via the wcml but its been caped

just heading back from hereford, took 6Z52 as far as there and booked back pass to chirk to get my van, left 2 hours late so missed by booked train home, no great hardship though

only a couple of pics today from hereford

null-125.jpg

null-126.jpg

funny how yesterday i was road learning/refreshing and i was photographing EMT hst's today its FGW!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 12