Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

in second shot you do wonder how close the 70 will be to old tunnel/bridge roofs.

They dont fit through some tunnels, meir tunnel in stoke they can go through in the derby-stoke direction but not back through in the stoke-derby direction!

Similarly wrexham to bidston they can go to dee marsh from wrexham but are banned beyond there as they cant get through heswall station

so probably quite abit of the older network unavailable to CL70`s should future freight work expand some what. which should help the 56`s & 37`s keep going longer etc where these wont fit. Thanks to Mick`s shot most wouldn't have known the height difference like me for starters.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They dont fit through some tunnels, meir tunnel in stoke they can go through in the derby-stoke direction but not back through in the stoke-derby direction!

Similarly wrexham to bidston they can go to dee marsh from wrexham but are banned beyond there as they cant get through heswall station

So they got the dimension wrong.

Edited by Trainshed Terry

• RMweb Premium

so probably quite abit of the older network unavailable to CL70`s should future freight work expand some what. which should help the 56`s & 37`s keep going longer etc where these wont fit. Thanks to Mick`s shot most wouldn't have known the height difference like me for starters.

There isn't a significant height difference - the angle of my pic is a bit misleading - see the first pic. It's more likely that as the 70 is longer, the "kinematic envelope" is much larger - especially with the larger/squarer cabs.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

Cracking pictures. I came and had a look at dinner while you were parked up waiting to collect the tanks. Where you stopped meant a decent view of the engine for a change, last week it was hiding down the line in the trees.

i always get the signaller to drop me in the carriage sidings, i can get a decent break and some piccies

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

hi jim 

would you know what the wagon numbers of this train  as would like to model this train 

and being a southerner i don't get much chance to pop up that way

daz

off hand i dont know the numbers, there are a couple of different types of wagons in the consist, they are all TEAs but some have slightly smaller barrels than others, the wagons actually date from the mid to late 60s

i've got a rake of the Bachmann BP green TEAs to represent this train, close enough for me!

null-2310.jpg

47739sinfintankslowres.jpg

• Like 18

Fantastic and informative work as usual Jim. You have done really well in converting this old 'dyed in the wood' steam fan into someone who enjoys learning about the latest motive power - even if I'll stick to modelling the steam ones! Thank you once again,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

Hi

I'm building a representation of this train as well (being as it wakes me up at 6.30am!). I've only got 5 TEAs at the moment, and no Colas locos, but when it was operated by EWS, 5 seemed to be the minimum number of wagons, and 9 the maximum. Colas always seem to run with 8. I've got 2 Bachmann, 2 Hornby and one Hornby chassis with a scratchbuilt barrel (I used the barrel for something else!). They're almost finished, I just need to put ladders on 2 of them (and couplings!).

I think the reason for the two sizes of tank that Jim mentions is that some of the tanks were built for "Class B" products (e.g. heavy fuel oil I think), which are thicker liquids which flow better when warm, so they're loaded hot and the lagging was to keep the heat in to assist unloading. When they were converted to "Class A" (e.g. aviation fuel), the lagging was removed as these products flow better. Also, you can see on Jim's photo of the train leaving Crewe that there are two small circles on the back of the last tank, about 1/4 of the way up the barrel. I think these are blanking plates for where connections to internal steam heating coils were fitted, which were provided to heat the contents of the tank up so it could flow when being unloaded.

Andrew

PS - keep up the good work Jim!

• RMweb Gold

If you were driving it, who took that picture of it driving away with the tanks? :O

brick on the dsd, throttle open and jump!!

caught the next pendolino to warrington where i got off and jumped back on the tanks it as it passed through

simples!!

• RMweb Gold

nice little job today in readyness for work next week, had to move 70810 from bescot to basford hall for the engineers trains we have running between wrexham and chester in relation to the line re-doubling

70810 in bescot

DSCF7555.jpg

EWS 66194 bringing a liner into the yard

DSCF7556.jpg

stopped alongside GBRf 66746

DSCF7557.jpg

DSCF7560.jpg

i think someone tried to pick it up while the waterslide transfers were still a bit tacky!!

DSCF7559.jpg

DSCF7558.jpg

the EWS train sat there for a while before it split, drew forward and set the front end of the train into an empty road

DSCF7561.jpg

you can get a good idea of whats left of the old hump from this picture

DSCF7562.jpg

and onto crewe where it was stabled with the 66 i left there yesterday (66848), 70019 for company, one of the freightliner modified ones with the toast rack on the side

DSCF7565.jpg

defiantly in freightliner country here!!

DSCF7566.jpg

and under threatening skies a 175 makes its way into the station, the picture was taken from the walking route between basford hall and the old diesel depot

DSCF7567.jpg

it lashed down not long after this, luckily i made it to my van before it did!!

couple of days off now then doing a few trains between chester and crewe 

• Like 12