Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

Then into carlisle station, plat 1 for a change where I sat for a good 10 mins

BA493D49-53CC-467F-8511-8F10BC7AB6C4.jpg

Just caught up with your posts, I hope you did not mind platform 1 ;) I was on the station panel that day and the casue of your 10 minute wait in platform one ;), but if I am not mistaken it was a RT departure, and worked well getting you off the goods lines.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

the freightliner came off at the north end of the loop taking out the points, the area where the track is missing has always been plain rail.

i believe the piece missing in the pics is something to do with the refurbishment work thats been going on on the bridge, if you look closely you can see the removed track panels sat on top of the laid track at the north end of the loop, i think its due to be put back in at some point

Ok with the pic of the 37 pushing the DRS rake out of Carlisle one thing struck me.

Even with the 37 providing the power and having its light lite up to show its direction of travel why does it still need a lamp fitting? I thought it only required a lamp if there was no lighting fitted or in use on the rear of the train?

As in effect it is running like the old 87 and DVT expresses, and they never had to have a lamp when the loco was pushing

Ok with the pic of the 37 pushing the DRS rake out of Carlisle one thing struck me.

Even with the 37 providing the power and having its light lite up to show its direction of travel why does it still need a lamp fitting? I thought it only required a lamp if there was no lighting fitted or in use on the rear of the train?

As in effect it is running like the old 87 and DVT expresses, and they never had to have a lamp when the loco was pushing

Is it a contingency in case the tail lamps fail? Or perhaps someone forgot to take it off!

Ed

the freightliner came off at the north end of the loop taking out the points, the area where the track is missing has always been plain rail.

i believe the piece missing in the pics is something to do with the refurbishment work thats been going on on the bridge, if you look closely you can see the removed track panels sat on top of the laid track at the north end of the loop, i think its due to be put back in at some point

The problem at Salop with the middle road is the road underbridge at the north end (Crewe Jcn end). It requires substantial refurbishment having suffered tin worm damage. It is unlikely to be replaced as the freight traffic has dropped off so much as the lack of the middle road has not caused much operating problems. As long ago as the mid 1980's when the first plans for resignalling at Shrewsbury where proposed, the middle road was not shown on the plans, all traffic was limited to the platform lines, with platform 3 reinstated, as it was many years later. The accident at Clapham junction and subsequent signalling requirements meant the plans where quietly kicked into the long grass and forgotten about. It will be interesting to see if the middle road at Shrewsbury is ever made operational again. Somehow I doubt it. 

Paul J.