Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

Indeed 37254's last and present repaint was carried out by Spa Valley Railway volunteers during 254s life on the line. 37025 Is still technically preserved, I'm not sure where the ownership stands regarding 057 - Is that still on hire from HNRC (who restored it to it's current guise) or now fully owned by Colas.

It is however DRS who do seem to have fallen for Large Logo blue of late, with 401 (painted by the SRPS((Owners of 37025))) but re-repainted at Derby, DRS wholly owned 402 going from DRS Blue to Large Logo Blue, and on hire from SRPS to DRS 37403 also now going Large Logo Blue at Derby.

Guest B Exam

Indeed 37254's last and present repaint was carried out by Spa Valley Railway volunteers during 254s life on the line. 37025 Is still technically preserved, I'm not sure where the ownership stands regarding 057 - Is that still on hire from HNRC (who restored it to it's current guise) or now fully owned by Colas.

It is however DRS who do seem to have fallen for Large Logo blue of late, with 401 (painted by the SRPS((Owners of 37025))) but re-repainted at Derby, DRS wholly owned 402 going from DRS Blue to Large Logo Blue, and on hire from SRPS to DRS 37403 also now going Large Logo Blue at Derby.

37057 is owned outright by Colas. 37403 is now conplete in large logo, 37424 not far behind having the large yellow ends sprayed on.

37254 eventually went out with 37025 on 1Q90 to Ferme Park. 37025 leading.

Edited by B Exam

• RMweb Gold

they are ultraviolet lights to do with the forward facing cameras, they are actually "black" light but show up on certain cameras!

i had a look in the SGT coach last night as it was scanning and i wasn't driving) thats an impressive bit of kit and the lasers look great at night scanning the adjacent countryside

also the UTU (ultrasonic) coach is quite interesting watching the real time computer generated images of the railhead appear on the monitor as well as other stuff i didnt understand!

• RMweb Premium

derby

DSC02509.jpg

Looks like someone taking photos of the RTC site from a passing train - wasn't me Guv', honest.....

VTEC catering car in the middle......

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I think it's simply because they are staying in the liveries they came out of preservation in (the ones with good paint jobs at least)

Forgive my ignorance of all things 'modern' but are you saying that these were locos that were scrapped, preserved, restored and then sold back for main line use ?

In which case what's the long line of locos at Toton that seem to have been there years which I see every time I travel on the A52 - are they being sold off and would they be any better?

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Forgive my ignorance of all things 'modern' but are you saying that these were locos that were scrapped, preserved, restored and then sold back for main line use ?

In which case what's the long line of locos at Toton that seem to have been there years which I see every time I travel on the A52 - are they being sold off and would they be any better?

Mike

They certainly weren't scrapped....

Some are only back on hire to Colas from the preservation groups - for example 37025. Others have been bought by Colas from the preservation groups - 37057.

37s and the like are highly regarded as rugged, pretty much go anywhere locos.

There is a bit of a merry-go-round with them. As DB Schenker (now DB Cargo) lost the contract for test trains to Colas, Colas have been buying and hiring 37s from various sources to power the trains.

Previously, DBS hired in 37's from Direct Rail Services (DRS). Now that DRS are no longer hiring them to DBS, a few have become spare. DRS's 37608/611 which were regular test train locos, have been sold to the Rail Operations Group and then sub-hired back to Colas for use on test trains..........................

The long line of locos at Toton are Class 60s - totally unsuited to test train work and the laying up of them is worthy of a topic on it's own.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comprehensive response - now I understand . . . . . . . . . . . .

Edit - just looked at the Class 60 topic - started in 2009 and now has 2241 posts with the most recent only a few days ago - and despite the original post saying they were being withdrawn it seems some are still around.

Edited by Mike Bellamy
  • Like 1