Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

Just a few from last night before I go to sleep!

Unfortunatly my big computer has died after a powercut and power surge last week song can't upload pics from the proper camera until that's returned from repair

So just some iPhone pics

Crewe LNWR

AE2B9BE1-DFBC-4445-A9A4-4604673F948A.jpg

Stockport

3E9EE633-1F56-489B-8386-F7FABC66C68F.jpg

Buxton

F85B38DF-35A3-4C66-BDAA-4B00CE2F31BC.jpg

We also did crewe (again), Manchester Piccadilly, Sheffield and back to derby via the MML, an eventful night, lost all the lights on one of the locos so had to run with an emergency one fitted

As I say I'll upload the pics when I get the computer back

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Nope, a bit of a puzzle, I think the main lighting fuse went but as I was in multi I didn't want to risk shutting the locos down to put the BIS out to change the fuse to maybe find they wouldn't restart incase it was something else, also we were on a tight schedule and the emergency headlight didn't effect our speeds so we just went with it for the rest of the shift

We also lost all the internal lights, dashboard, cab lights, interior lights, the lot hence why I thought it was the fuse, heaters, gsmr etc were all fine

• RMweb Gold

667 doesn't have a lighting fuse there is a twin MCB under the BIS

I had a problem a few years back with 038 that has fuses but somehow the lighting circuit is wired into the multi working! You can get partial lighting with the switch out providing the BIS is in on the other loco... Weird, that's why you don't see it in multiple much. I think they are going to sort it but we often have it at Norwich for stock moves

• RMweb Gold

It definatly has a lighting fuse in the No2 end cabinet that looks very 'alive' to me, if it's OOU I would have thought it would have been labelled as such to avoid confusion

I know which mcb's your on about now you mention it, down by the regulating air cock near the floor, I did check those but they didn't appear to be tripped

• RMweb Premium

98008 is another on my to-do list.....

It's acquired quite a few extra bits on the end since my photo recon, so Jim's photos are useful.

I have a cheaply obtained MPV waiting as a donor. Already worked out how to locate the decoder and lighting resistors.

The basic design work on an etched kit has been done, but needs fully drawing up, but other things have priority on my modelling time at the moment.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 8

Was that machine purpose-built, or converted from something else?

Just googled, and discovered it was purpose-built, using many components from the Windhoff twin-vehicle MPVs.

It has acquired lots of techy bits (again a technical term) to carry out all sorts of jobs, mainly asset surveys, including a full survey of the New Street signalling.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

I just love that last photo of the logs: http://s5.photobucket.com/user/s-type-driver/media/2016%20album/DSC02688.jpg.html

Sorry to hear about your mum being in hospital. It's no joke in north Wales with hospitals being so few and far between.

Any idea when they plan to finish the relaying on the Cambrian line? The rails have been in the four foot at Newtown station for months.

And is there any part of the country where you cann't sign the road? Or do you have a local driver with you much of the time, but one who isn't qualified for the traction in use? Were you really driving that track inspection thingy (technical term, of course)?

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium

'BR1' bogies?? :O

I thought those had been banished from the national network years ago?

One end of each seems to be a SR DEMU/EMU BR1 variant - recognisable with the vertical damper half way along.

This is 6364 before the body rework and repaint, but it still has the same bogies.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

One end of each seems to be a SR DEMU/EMU BR1 variant - recognisable with the vertical damper half way along.

This is 6364 before the body rework and repaint, but it still has the same bogies.

Cheers,

Mick

I thought that too, Mick. The pic you linked to seemed to suggest a variant as the axle box's look that way.

The above pic of 6364 confirms it- thanks for the info!

So, leads me onto my next question, what are these going to be used for?

Translators for units of some description I'm guessing.

• RMweb Premium

I thought that too, Mick. The pic you linked to seemed to suggest a variant as the axle box's look that way.

The above pic of 6364 confirms it- thanks for the info!

So, leads me onto my next question, what are these going to be used for?

Translators for units of some description I'm guessing.

They were originally used as translators for Class 323 EMUs and have been at Soho depot for a number of years. The latest 323 moves to Tyseley for wheel turning have been carried out using the T2 set 975875/977087

Lots of upcoming contracts for EMU haulage on the horizon, (hence ROG/Europhoenix 37884/37800 being fitted with couplers and translator gear) but one story elsewhere is that they've gone onto Barry for storage alongside the Colas coal hopper fleet. Maybe Jim can confirm/deny?

Cheers,

Mick