Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

Looks like Hornby have made the finish a little glossy on the above release, surely they don’t look that clean in “real?”

On the plus side the trees against the back scene look very good.

All silliness aside the team in the works paint shop did a cracking job on that, almost a shame to get it grubby with work. Was the cab as shiny inside?

• Like 6

Very nice. I imagine some cabs can be a bit more “weathered” and “authentic” than others, just like any shared workspace.

Attention to detail in any project always makes me happy, that loco is about 10x the size of the largest thing I have rebuilt and painted. Good to see that repaint went well beyond a quick external tart up.

Tidy trains are good for the public image of the railways and it’s good to see some freight operators really making an effort with their locomotives, even if they can’t usually control how grimy. the stock they pull is. From a modelling perspective the contrast between more careworn wagons and shiny locos is interesting. Obviously a few older, scruffy and characterful locos are fun to see too, your photos always provide a good range of both.

Looking forward to seeing the results from the new camera.

Edited by devondynosoar118

Looks like Hornby have made the finish a little glossy on the above release, surely they don’t look that clean in “real?”

On the plus side the trees against the back scene look very good.

All silliness aside the team in the works paint shop did a cracking job on that, almost a shame to get it grubby with work. Was the cab as shiny inside?

Wow that class 60 looks so good in the GBRF livery maybe the best yet 

• RMweb Gold

as promised some pics from the dslr camera, never used one before so not quite sure what im doing but im sure i'll crack it soon ready for decent night shots etc

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

homeward bound 

IMG_0776.jpg

next day, sun on the wrong side shot

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

masborough (too dark this pic)

IMG_0786.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

iport

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

had to have a few days off as my father in law died on wednesday afternoon, i actually left the train in doncaster and rushed away in a hire car to get back to north wales to collect the kids from my brother in laws as my wife had to rush off to manchester 

cant fault GBRf at all, once i got the call i rang control who found me a car, they even offered to taxi me from doncaster to deeside should i have not felt up to driving and they have been very supportive over the last couple of days, i'm back in on monday night though on a doncaster to landor st tank train again, thanks to work arranged around me being able to take and collect the little un from school 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very sorry to hear about that Jim but very pleased that GBRF have been so supportive.

Jamie

yep, cant fault em, i must admit id been having doubts as to whether id done the right thing leaving colas for gbrf for reasons that i will keep to myself but this whole upsetting episode to me proved i'd done the right thing, there was no "oh can you just move it to such and such" or "we have no one to relive you" which has happened in the past with colas when ive had a crisis, the loco was screwed down and left running and i was heading home within 10 minutes, the MD of Iport ran me to the GBRf offices without issue, a car was commandeered without question (and collected from my house the next day), as it happened i noticed the train left doncaster 3 hours late that evening and was practically on time into southampton and was on time northbound the day after too so the service wasn't effected (not that it was a priority concern of mine at the time) 

Good news about the care from GBRF Jim, and sorry about your loss.

Back to Dlsr cameras, I bought one from Jessops in Derby, I just couldn't get on with it, so a few days later I phoned them, and they agreed to take it back, I'm now back to basic point and press.

All the best.

• RMweb Gold

I got mine from a cash converters type shop for £110, a Canon D1200 which I think id pretty good value, for a 30 to 200 zoom lens too

My point and go bridge camera is playing up as the tripod fell over and the fixed lens became slightly loose so sometimes has trouble focusing so I thought I’d try the slr for what it cost

• RMweb Premium

I got mine from a cash converters type shop for £110, a Canon D1200 which I think id pretty good value, for a 30 to 200 zoom lens too

My point and go bridge camera is playing up as the tripod fell over and the fixed lens became slightly loose so sometimes has trouble focusing so I thought I’d try the slr for what it cost

Good buy!

I us mine with auto settings most of the time, but I can set the various knobs and buttons to get close ups etc. As it costs nothing to get prints to look at just keep perservering...

Baz

• RMweb Premium

I hung onto my film SLR, an Olympus OM1 for years until I could afford a decent DSLR. I've stuck with Olympus and have an E-M10 now and like Baz, leave it on Auto most of the time but have been very happy with it.

Jamie

Well for years and years I had film SLR's and could only use the auto setting. However a few years ago went digital with a Nikon. My local independent Camera shop set up a one day how to use your DSLR done by a professional photographer. It was the best one day course I have ever taken it taught me how to use the camera fully. Low light is great to work in. Was in a museum in Rome last year and in the basement was held one of Cesar's sceptre.  It is located in a strong room with very low light and the use of flash was not allowed. So in we walk with our cameras. One of our Knowledgeable Trans-Atlantic cousins told us no flash so you cannot get a photo. Wrong knowing how to use the camera we both came out with shots. As we walked pass our friend we showed him the shots he was a tad upset. Being able to use the camera properly has opened up a whole new world of photography.

Also Jim so to hear of the sad loss and good to hear GBrf are very employee focused.

Keith 

• Like 1

Hi Jim

Love your thread and some great photographs.

Unfortunately not many GBRf locos appear in Aberdeen other than on the Caledonian sleeper or Royal Scotsman.

My son and I were very lucky a few years ago when we had a cab ride on 66709 from Selby Potter group to Peterborough, a superb experience. I found everyone we dealt with at GBRf so helpful and enthusiastic, no wonder they are so a go ahead Company.

Cannot wait to see what your company does with the 56 class locos - many happy memories of these locos on the Merry go round trains.

A question I do have for you if you don’t mind. I have started a re-spray of one of my class 60 locos into GBRf 60095 and not sure, even from the many photos of the loco, if all the side grills are black. Would appreciate you letting me know.

Thanks and regards

John

Edited by JCClark

Yes the grilles are black on the 60

Some from last night, Doncaster to Landor st tank train

LNER livery Azuma, didn’t realise at the time this was the first time it had been out, I put a pic on Twitter before I set off from Doncaster and when I put the phone back on when I got off at Landor st I had 60 notifications for likes and reteeets, it had been seen 3000 plus times, most likes and retweet’s have been from Japanese people!

36EFDB47-1EF4-4D23-8EFB-C3CC54C67C2F.jpg

16E72F0B-F561-4307-9249-DE0A565CBE43.jpg

ED4D8478-EE2D-4752-91A9-1A05871CAC44.jpg

FA6503F0-0C57-4690-A14E-5877BA04ECB0.jpg

Then my train came in on the goods, should have been platform 3! Double headed with 66719 and 66766

DFE04A7C-C855-4FCC-BBF9-52348726E544.jpg

And away to Saltley where the train continued to Cardiff

4E06F619-D5CA-44C6-B2F2-F1A73346717C.jpg

Is it my eyes or do's that 1st class coach say Sunderland?

• Like 1