Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

Such a manic day yesterday I only managed one pic!

1C9DA979-B8AA-418F-BB83-D65AEFA3CB70.jpg

after my night in Doncaster I was up bright and early to get the set back to bescot, all ready to roll at 07:30 only to get a path in for 09:15 arriving into bescot at 13:35! Over 4 hours to do about 100 miles, managed an early start only to be held en route a number of times arriving into bescot late!

a check of the machine and away we went to nuneaton to pick up the original path of the RHTT only for us to get 2 minutes into spraying before the generator went pop again, got as far as rugby where the train was cancelled and moved back to bescot later in the evening by another driver, whether it runs today I don’t know but I’m supposed to be conducting it Rugeley to Macclesfield and back after I do a job out of rugby first which has also gone pear shaped and is currently about 2-3 hours late which could knacker me for the RHTT 

off to Tenby tonight for the weekend for a well deserved break before I go back to the RHTT next week 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

As pinzaboy says, you learn something new everyday! So I guess the question is, what design criteria determined that one cab ended up being bigger than the other?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Regards the cabs I believe the smaller cab was in fact an addition as being like a lot of American/Canadian locos they were designed to have one cab and work in multi so the 2nd cab was added late on!

as for moving the locos about I checked the locos were staying on the train all week and checked it was ok to move them about, all control need to know is the train formation once I’m done.

The move is needed as there will be 3 of us in the cab on Wednesday and quite simply there isn’t enough room in the small cab for 3, the big cab cab for my camping chair in for the 3rd guy 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold

Not bothered with many pics this week as it’s been RHTT again but got a few today, been assessing another driver on the route and due to my start time tomorrow had to get off at Rugeley to get to bescot for my car (thats been sat there for 2 weeks!)

Macclesfield 

BB828514-8C30-4DB5-8D8B-B001D19301B4.jpg

rugeley

E961557A-A7ED-4876-9BB7-82EFFCCA7880.jpg

7E4821FA-BAB7-47CB-AF2C-73E90120B91E.jpg

changing trains at Walsall one of our 66s passing through 

1C4FCFD9-AD26-4B22-B5C1-21D59A747E25.jpg

trafford Park tomorrow and RHTT again next week amongst other things 

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

That was brave leaving your car at Bescot for two weeks.  Was it still there and did it still have four wheels?

it was locked away in the yard next to the 24/7 manned office, wouldn’t risk it in the station car park, the lucky thing is now in saltley depot until Thursday!

8 hours ago, Craig1989 said:

Out of interest does your rhtt do the dc lines into Watford junction aswel? 

not sure tbh, it does Bedford and St Albans though

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I see you was on the RHTT i passed you at Stechford this morning I did say hello at Rugby before you boarded the Virgin service back north but I was being asked some stupid questions by the fare paying passengers.

Cheers

Colin 

• RMweb Premium
On 11/10/2019 at 23:00, Craig1989 said:

Out of interest does your rhtt do the dc lines into Watford junction aswel? 

No, it does different lines on alternate nights. RTT has it doing Bletchley to Bedford and back on the way into Euston on the slow every weekday, then doing St Albans with either slow or fast lines beyond Watford depending on the night.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Some from today, RHTT again

early morning start in bescot 

A9A1D93C-41A1-4648-BC50-5237F2BEC8B1.jpg

I actually washed the loco this morning before we set off 

51C85274-9710-473A-A234-5AC5126CEF00.jpg

350 desiro in the new london north western livery with a class 37 lurking

7AE2A6B7-B9C1-4544-B3F5-7ABDECFAA481.jpg

which was dragging an anglia unit somewhere or other 

5AAF086B-082C-4B07-94A7-C50F176B3F0F.jpg

Day off tomorrow then back to the RHTT on Wednesday

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, big jim said:

I actually washed the loco this morning before we set off 

51C85274-9710-473A-A234-5AC5126CEF00.jpg

Did you take any pictures after you'd washed it though...? :jester: 

I have visions of you with a bucket of soapy water and a long-handled mop. "Won't take long, 10-minute job,..."

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, JDW said:

I have visions of you with a bucket of soapy water and a long-handled mop. "Won't take long, 10-minute job,..."

I seem to recall a couple of years back we had photos of exactly that though I think he only got one side done!

Cheers

Dave

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, eldavo said:

I seem to recall a couple of years back we had photos of exactly that though I think he only got one side done!

Cheers

Dave

yeah, cleaned a filthy Colas loco at chirk, as you say only managed one side though!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

just one pic from today, shrewsbury to Washwood heath, had to run round in coton hill where I got the pic before sunrise

373BA62F-9764-43B4-8488-C1D57A76DF20.jpg

got to cemex only for the plant to be declared a failure so I’ve had to leave the train there for someone else to discharge 

nice little loco move tomorrow, Toton to longport with a 66, conducting an intermodal and working the RHTT on Saturday before a few forced days off to recharge my batteries 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2